97 tdi Jeep TJ

theman53

TDI
01 jetta, 86 IDI TD
yeah that is the part of the price being right. Theirs is for the PD engine and you have to get all the stuff in the kit. I asked them to split it and they said they wouldn't sell me just the adapter and crank spacer. I don't have a PD engine or the turbo that their DP would bolt to, so the 2,500.00 they want is out of my range. But if someone would sell me the plans or just the parts I want for a few hundred I would go that route. I pm'ed akafred a few times with no response, so I figured I would put out a feeler in this thread.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
just putting this out there but you could run an acme plate with a tacoma transmission/t-case (left drop) ....the acme setup is very simple with no flywheel adapters or super long wonky harmonic balancer spacers.... just a steel plate with a flywheel and hardware.... stupid simple ;)

theman53

TDI
01 jetta, 86 IDI TD
I have the trans and t case already. Plus I would like to be able to walk into any parts store in the US and say I need a clutch kit for an 02 wrangler and they would probably have it. Or would have it in less than 24 hours. Not that I would be out a vehicle, but if someone adapts the flywheel I would need to hope that company never goes by the wayside in the next several years so they could machine me another flywheel. Or pay a shop 400 dollars to reverse engineer it. Or have to do the acme thing of ford pp, chevy clutch, jeep flywheel. I thank you for the idea, but I just want to go the "simple" all jeep route if possible.

Rooney. I will PM you. If you could help me out I would compensate you.

Last edited:

theman53

TDI
01 jetta, 86 IDI TD
When I contacted them they said I would have to use some PP, a chevy clutch and a jeep flywheel they would machine. What happens in 10 years? Will they still be around to machine another one for me? It is just a turn off and I already bought a fresh trans that will fit shifter and all in my 2002 no mods...except that spacer LOL. I plan on keeping the jeep forever and my thinking is to do this once this way and not look back when I do the next clutch. As I probably will with the turbo and all the fuel I have going on this thing.

I remember your name from the GTD. You were a great contributor there.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
When I contacted them they said I would have to use some PP, a chevy clutch and a jeep flywheel they would machine. What happens in 10 years? Will they still be around to machine another one for me? It is just a turn off and I already bought a fresh trans that will fit shifter and all in my 2002 no mods...except that spacer LOL. I plan on keeping the jeep forever and my thinking is to do this once this way and not look back when I do the next clutch. As I probably will with the turbo and all the fuel I have going on this thing.

I remember your name from the GTD. You were a great contributor there.
my suggestion was to use a tacoma transmission with acme flywheel, machining is very very simple and honestly could be done by any machine shop and consists of an off the shelf 22r flywheel with an enlarged center bore and the vw pattern offset inside toyota pattern...but since your using a jeep trans point taken ;)

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
btw, not sure if you're going to want/need this but i do have a couple of clocking rings left for the Dana300 or NP231 transfer cases. These would allow you to rotate the t-case up to horizontal or pretty close to it.

Dieseljeep

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I know this thread has been dormant for a while but thought I'd fire it up and try to get some info. I'm a fairly proficient vw guy but no pro mechanic. I've got the HPA kit hooked up from a 2006 BEW to a 2000 TJ and have been halted in the wiring stage. I can get the engine to crank but not turn over. I know this can be a number of things but what sneaky vw circuits do I need powered before this damn thing will even consider running? Thank you to all you knowledgeable gentleman who make this such a great forum!

Dieseljeep

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Got the immobilized deleted by them at the shop but I'm not sure how to check that. I thought maybe I could hook up the obdII port and backtrack through the codes on the VCDS but on the normal BEW, I believe the OBDII port is run through the instrument cluster somehow. I have bypassed the jeep gauges with the vw harness so I'm wondering if I need an inline resistor to take some of the voltage that would have been taken by the cluster. I don't want to fry the VCDS or computer...