97 tdi Jeep TJ

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
here are some pics from my current TJ TDI project

engine is 99 tdi with asv pistons 11mm pump 1019 injectors stock turbo for now.

transmission is the stock ax15 unmolested mated via 1.25" adaptor plate

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
started making the harness. i cant use the coolant glows, will that throw a code with them missing?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
this is a swap I am considering. Do you have a pic of the firewall, courious about clearance

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
I am not that far, I assume transmission will need to move forward 4 inches.

Too much crap hanging off the back of the ALH head.

Right now I am working on cleaning up the harness

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
in the pic above I saw you left the power steering pump installed in the jeep, I noticed its the same pump my 1.6TD has (except remote reservoir), is it the same on the TDI? Is that why you left it?

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
why is it our Canadaian friends are the ones making all the cool toys?

a few questions,

what bank, or clocking angle are you using for hood clearance?

what are you doing to drive the factory gauges?

are you keeping track of the dimensions of your machined parts so they can be reproduced?

a few slight suggestions,

VW did a nice job of packaging the belt driven devices, why not just have custom hydraulic hoses made and use the factory power steering pump.

also if your going to ditch the AC, why not install a YORK compressor for use as an air compressor.

made it 1.25" thick 6061

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
i had to slightly increase the angle 10 deg to clear the Jeep starter hood is no concern as there was a inline six in there, plenty hood clearance.

i plan on using the vw accessories, and adding AC down the road.

all parts are drawn in solidworks, the plate is cut on industrial cnc router.

i would rather not make custom hoses if possible, I will probably make a block that adapts the jeep line into the vw pump.

haven't got the the gauges part of the wiring, i will probably just piggy back the jeep sensors.

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
I have heard of people keeping the factory electronics to "MULE" the factory gauges.

here are some links for ides, http://www.jdjeeps.com/crankshaft.html

funny enough if you buy this please let them know what your gonna use it for! http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/electronics/tj_xj_crank_position_tach_emulator.htm

Also I used to run the older version of this fuel filter in My B4 Passat worth every penny!, http://www.davco.com/DFP_biodiesel.htm

just for fun if you can find the space under the hood :) , http://www.dieselcraft.com/engine-oil-cleaning.php and for the DIY types with metal working experience... http://pabiodieselsupply.com/shop/oil-centrifuge-55gph-p-347.html

Last edited:

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
When you say increase the angle, do you mean more angle? like from 20* to 30 degrees?

FACE-PALMS self = yes it just dawned on me how much better that adapter block concept is, COTS hoses! or maybe just an adapter fitting! I once made OIL cooler lines for a MB 300D with some JIC 37* fittings and the TIG welder I owned back then.

SolidWorks eh? If I forward you my collection of engine drawings, would you be willing to do a quick eyeballing to spot trouble areas for a 1.9L to dual pattern small block GM adapter?

i had to slightly increase the angle 10 deg to clear the Jeep starter hood is no concern as there was a inline six in there, plenty hood clearance.

i plan on using the vw accessories, and adding AC down the road.

all parts are drawn in solidworks, the plate is cut on industrial cnc router.

i would rather not make custom hoses if possible, I will probably make a block that adapts the jeep line into the vw pump.

haven't got the the gauges part of the wiring, i will probably just piggy back the jeep sensors.

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
I will probably use factory CPS to run tachometer, I doubt I need adaptors ect. Factory computer will remain

TDIJ

TDI
AHU Wrangler
You have the start of a sweet Jeep. I've put a about 1000 miles on mine so far and have no complaints. Stock power doesn't feel any slower than the 4.0 it replaced. I've been getting consistent 27 MPG with 35" M/T tires.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
PPR doesn't matter as the Jeep reluctor is on the Jeep belhousing

Hoping for 30mpg

TDIJ

TDI
AHU Wrangler
Hoping for 30mpg
X2

I'm very close... and most of my miles have been test running mountain passes at full throttle. I am geared at 4.88 with 35's and I am too low in my opinion. I'd like to be at 4.56 or maybe even 4.10 after a tune to help with the power.

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
i run 33" and 4:10 gears, i am thinking it should be geared pretty decent, its about 2000 rpm at hwy speeds (100 kph) if i knew i was going tdi i may have considered 4:56 gears.

front axle is d30 rear is ford 8.8 with detroit locker

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
If you were using a !z engine I would say no, cause mine were dead the entire time I owned my 96 B4. You can have that deleted as well if you opt for an EGR delete.

started making the harness. i cant use the coolant glows, will that throw a code with them missing?

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
from looking at the diagram no signal goes back to the ecu for the coolant glow plug, i am thinking if there is a code it can be alleviated by adding two resistors to the lines that used to feed the relays.

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
nods, yeap that should do it the ECU is just looking to see if current is flowing when the relays should be energized. an ohm meter on the relay coil should give indication of the value needed.

from looking at the diagram no signal goes back to the ecu for the coolant glow plug, i am thinking if there is a code it can be alleviated by adding two resistors to the lines that used to feed the relays.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
My 99.5 ALH doesn't set any codes with the coolant glow plugs out of the circuit.I guess the ecu doesn't know or care if they work or not.I have never seen or heard of a coolant glow DTC before so you should be ok.

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
got the tranny moved forward 4 inches, cut off the old motor mounts, cut off the old uper control arms. (going radius arm) there dooesnt seem to be enough room to mount the mounts beside the engine (turbo, ac pump) so i have made a front engine plate and will be mounting the engine up front. hope it doesnt cause to much vibration.

TDIJ

TDI
AHU Wrangler
I know people have done just a front mount, but I would think you would want to get at least one side mount on that driveline somewhere to minimize the twist seeing how you will be down to two centered mounts at that point.

I'm no expert though... And I know the alh is harder to get side mounted. Either way... Keep it up!