2003 Beetle TDI needs engine

mriss

TDI
2003 Beetle
I have a 2003 Beetle TDI that needs an engine and would like to know if a 2006 Beetle TDI would work in it? Thanks for any help.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I have a 2003 Beetle TDI that needs an engine and would like to know if a 2006 Beetle TDI would work in it? Thanks for any help.
They are a completely different engine. The 2003 would have an alh engine, which has an external fuel injection pump, whereas the 2006 is a bew which is a Pumpe Deuse engine, which has cam driven unit injectors.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
So, what's up with the ALH in your Beetle? Maybe it can be "repaired" or fixed or rebuilt... or maybe it is something besides the "engine" that's causing problems.... Just a thought...

mriss

TDI
2003 Beetle
So, what's up with the ALH in your Beetle? Maybe it can be "repaired" or fixed or rebuilt... or maybe it is something besides the "engine" that's causing problems.... Just a thought...
well we put a timing belt kit on it and appartently got it out of time. It bent a couple of the lifters so i took the head off and have it in the shop for repair. I thought I might find an engine for about the cost of the head repair but maybe not. I did find what they said was a 2000 but the bolts in the cam cover are different so I am not sure it is a 2000. The sticker is gone from the timing belt cover.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
well we put a timing belt kit on it and appartently got it out of time. It bent a couple of the lifters so i took the head off and have it in the shop for repair. I thought I might find an engine for about the cost of the head repair but maybe not. I did find what they said was a 2000 but the bolts in the cam cover are different so I am not sure it is a 2000. The sticker is gone from the timing belt cover.
There's a reason they say to turn it over by hand before starting it.. also a reason you need tools to hold the cam, crank and injection pump...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, I think the OP is past how to change a TB and likely learned a tough lesson. No need to beat a dead horse now.

OP, are you just looking for a head or an engine. The 2000 head will fit......... if, the dowel pin holes are the same. I have no clue what you mean by the Cam Cover Bolts, unless you are talking about the Cam Bearing Caps. Whether they are the same as those in your head doesn't matter.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
On a "used" (even "rebuilt") engine you always run some additional risk in getting what you think you are getting and the true condition of it. If you know (and comfortable) with the history of the one you have, repair it. Send the head off to forum member Franko6-or you may get unsatisfactory results from a shop not experienced with the oddities of the TDI. Then we have another how did this happen sort of thread..
Many years ago while bringing the 2001 back to life (I bought it as a wrecked vehicle and the engine was destroyed-see avatar) I went thru a bit of a nightmare with a few suppliers. TDIs were a lot harder to source back then, but it took three to get one that was complete/undamaged and I could/would use.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Cars come and go. Buy something reliable vs fixing the devil you might know if you have the $. Of not, fix the devil you know.
The game I have played for decades.
If you do, make sure it's worth your time, buy form reputable sellers. Not some greased up ebay chop yard

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Thank you guys... It's nice to be appreciated. Huh AndyBees? Heh...

If the cam and lifters were bent up from a starter-speed hit, the likelihood of bending a valve or two is very good, but there should not be any piston or rod damage. Depending on the mileage, it probably is just our usual cylinder head reinstall kit and we can loan you TIMING BELT TOOLS! Along with some very good and helpful technical support by phone, email or text.

As for the original engine, I don't think I'd be in such a rush to move away from probably the best overall diesel engine VW ever has, or apparently, ever will make. To change out to the PD motor would be a mistake, in my opinion. On the other hand, we do have currently, a builder that is going to put an ALH into a BEW frame, which means a change of ECU and wiring harness, at least. But in my opinion, that change out would be an upgrade. Why? The ALH engine is easier to work on, has more mods to make it either more efficient and more powerful or BOTH. And overall, it is cheaper to maintain.

Don't fool with near perfection... In case you haven't seen it yet, there is a very detailed 'How To' for installing a timing belt for your ALH. Look for that on the Home page. I won't be around tomorrow, but if you are interested, we have done more than a few of these builds. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I recall several years ago having to go to the Machine Shop on a Sunday afternoon to "size" the holes in a head for proper dowel fitment! Just saying! (98 NB)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I would pull the head, assess the lower end. If no damage down there I would have the head rebuilt. Frank is always a good choice.