Search results

1. larrydk

brake bleed order - clutch first or last?

I forgot if I bleed the clutch first or last? FL-FR-RL-RR-clutch OR clutch-FL-FR-RL-RR
  2. larrydk

DPF filter covered by recall?

I have a 2015 GSW MT with 110k on it. Starting to logistically pan for the teming belt which I'll likely do 10k before factory recommended. Does anyone know if the DPF is covered as part of the recall? If upon getting checked at the 120k mark I'm told to replace, is that under the warranty?
  3. larrydk

brakes

Gettting ready to do front and rears on my 2015 GSW MT. Stock brakes with 110k miles! Do I need to worry about overflowing my brake resevior when doing the service, on some vehicles I have had to remove some brake fluid. Also, I'm trying to figure out if I can do my brake fluid flush at the...
  4. larrydk

Brake recommendations

Group, I'm at 103000 on my GSW MT with origianl brakes. They appear to be pretty good, but I think I will be doing front an rear pads and rotors in the next couple of months. Any on have any good, or bad, brake parts stories? I've bought all of my parts so far through ID Parts or the...
  5. larrydk

Looking for competent TDI mechanic in Chicago area

Any recommendations for a competent TDI mechanic that can do the timing belt on my TDI?
  6. larrydk

Diesel particulate filter

Since I'm nearing 100k I'm starting to pay attention to some of the upcoming maintenace needs. I assume the DPF was chaged during the recall fix and therefore the 120,000 mile check interval is now different? Also, is ir safe to assume the DPF falls under the extended warranty as part of the...
  7. larrydk

Manual trans fluid change?

I'm at 95k on my 2015 GSW MT and wondering if I need to start thinking about the gearbox fluid? Anyone deal with this yet on thier mk7's? I have a BMW motorcycle which the trans fluid is to be changed every 8,000 miles, so I'm confused at the differences in need.
  8. larrydk

snow tire size on 2015 GSW TDI s

Can anyone help me determine what size steel rims will fit my 2015 GSW for a set of winter tires? I want to by used, but am unfamilar with size and bolt offsets.
  9. larrydk

brake life

I have a 2015 GSW 6M with just about 80k on the odometer (miles)....I check the brakes every 6k when rotating the tires and they just don't seem to be wearing down (it's a good thing)....wondering what kind of brake life those with manual trans are getting?
  10. larrydk

push button start acting up

Anyone else having an issue with the push button start on their GSW? I need to push hard and a number of times to start or turn off the car. I've seen one write up to take out the switch and clean the contacts, but it's not clear how to take this button from the center counsel
  11. larrydk

Changed brake fluid

Did my first brake/clutch fluid change on my 2015 GSW MT. Everything went pretty smooth. - Getting the air filter housing out of the way to access the clutch bleeder valve is a hassle. Took a good amount of force to free from the three grommets. - The clutch bleeder valve was weird, it does...
  12. larrydk

Hella running lights?

Anyone mount the round Hella running lights on their MK7? I'd like to see photos, keep thinking I might like the install?
  13. larrydk

battery time

I think I'm going to be proactive and put in a new battery on my 2015 GSW before it won't start.....any recommendations for best battery or should I just stick to the OEM?
  14. larrydk

big drop in fuel economy....winter blend already?

In the last two weeks my fuel mileage has dropped into what I normally expect in the winter (Chicago)....I assume this is due to winter blend? When do the stations normally switch over?
  15. larrydk

Time for some tires

I need new rubber....the stock Bridgestones Ecopias have given 60,000 which is unbelievable.....thinking about just getting those again, but wondering about the Goodyear Assurance......any input specifically from gsw owners appreciated.
  16. larrydk

changing brake and clutch unit fluids

Is this a DIY job? I've bled brake systems on my motorcycles in the past, but never in a car....any DIY picture tutorials from members here?
  17. larrydk

60k service and fuel filter change a success

First off thanks to this website for all of the insightful assistance. I'm, not sure why I had so much anxiety about changing the fuel filter myself. I've done plenty of maintenance work over the years and have changed oil (and fuel filters on gassers) countless times, but this is my first...
  18. larrydk

60,000 mile service

Just noticed that USA Maintenance scheduled for 2015 states that brake and clutch unit fluid should be changed every three years regardless of mileage?....it looks like it recommends changing it every 20,000? Is that correct? Is there a thread showing how to do this anywhere?
  19. larrydk

toping off diesel filter housing

First time attempting changing fuel filter. I've seen some different posts regarding what to top off with....can I do it with the liquid moly diesel purge? Or don't bother and just use some diesel?
  20. larrydk

Aluminum skid plate for 2015 GSW

Anyone have experience with the one that ECS is selling as opposed to ID Parts (Evolution) The one from ECS appears to bolt right into the existing holes and tabs where he Evolution requires the installation of brackets. Thoughts?