battery time

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I think I'm going to be proactive and put in a new battery on my 2015 GSW before it won't start.....any recommendations for best battery or should I just stick to the OEM?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think the ones that dealer sells are as good as any and are reasonably priced, and you know it will fit and perform as it should.

All my dubs save one have Volkswagen batteries in them. Interstate used to be really good, but a few years ago they changed something and they tanked in longevity. We do not even carry them in the shop any more.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
One thought...
I was thinking my 2015 might get a battery proactively...
Seemed to be cranking a bit longer...I was thinking...might be a good idea to get a battery soon.
But it threw a code...dealer changed a glow plugs with an updated part...
Now cranks seem to be back to near instant starts, regardless of weather.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Our 2010 battery gave up the ghost in 2015, our 2012 was still on original battery when it went back to VW july 2017,

I'd say run it to the ground but carry a jump pack, so you won't be completely stranded.

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
On newer VW you should always install VW batteries, they have a calibration code that you need to program into the ecm. When batteries age the car makes up for the increased internal resistance and changes charging patterns. If you replace the battery without entering the new code, the computer will continue charging as if it is an old battery and will reduce the battery life by a lot.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Replacing the battery after 2 years seems really premature. Of course some people "pro-actively" replace their car every 2 years. :confused:

OH speaks the truth. Unless you don't mind the possibility of paying way to much for a battery that is spec-ed for a gasser than an after market battery might be what you are looking for.

The trouble is that the spec that VW uses is in "Ampere Hours" while most if not all aftermarket batteries are spec-ed in Cold Cranking Amps which is not directly able to be converted to Ampere Hours.

Also many of the aftermarket battery application charts will list a gasser battery and a TDI battery as the same part number.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
ZippyNH, did the craning seem to happen after the software update?
Nope....just seemed too take longer to start...
Then finely threw a code...that disappeared...then came back... wasn't even "cold" enough for a delay start for glow plug use.
Dealer checked it.... solution was a replacement glow plugs with an updated part.