what is your guys daily commute to work?

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Hey guys, seems like a lot of us TDI owners have fairly long drives to and from work each day.

ive never really had to drive to work. I got a job this week and its a 110 km (65 mile) drive one way, so ill be doing 2 hours of driving per day. in the dark. im not looking forward to it and almost turned the job down due to it. but then I see here, several times, that people are doing just as long of drives as me, so it makes me feel more normal.

maybe I just wanna make myself feel better about it and like im not the only one driving far for work every single day haha.

so, how far do you guys drive to get to work each day? in both time, and distance?

for me, its 110km / 65 miles one way, one hour. all highway. then back again at the end of the day. unpaid driving.

240km a day, 135 miles a day.

1200km a week, 675 miles a week. thats up there for me!

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
10 miles one way

car doesn't even reach operating temp in the winter (so I try and get a gasoline powered beater together for the winter)

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
55 miles each way. It's anywhere between 1hr 10min (best case scenario...happens less than 5% of the time) and 2.5+ hours (happens about 5% of the time). My average commute time is around 1hr 45min.

The traffic is an absolute 5h1t show (metro-DC). The only reason that I can get it down to the x < 2hr range is that I pick up "slugs" (commute share riders) and use the HOV lanes.

I'm good for about the first 45-60 minutes. After that, I hate every minute of it. I hate it so much that I'm moving north towards the city next month to cut down on the commute. That will trim it down to ~36 miles and make my average commute about one hour.

Assuming your commute is an ACTUAL 60 min drive each way...and not a theoretical 60 minutes (like my current one should be)...that's really not a bad commute. You can deal with that.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
40 miles one way.
Mostly rural roads. Couple small towns to go thru. Traffic isn't an issue.
Trip computer shows an average speed of about 46 mph for the 52-55 minutes.
Above freezing temps I average about 55 mpg.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Prior employ: 62 miles each way, 80 minutes when I left at 5 am.

Current employ: 10 miles each way, 20 minutes

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
37 miles each way - 45 -50 minutes in the morning, 1-1.5 hours in the evening.

bubbagumpshrimp - how close to Fredricksburg do you live ? :)

When I was transfered to the DC area in 1988 - I swore I would NEVER live south of the "Mixing Bowl" - the wife and me bought a condo in Reston for the time we lived there.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I'm doing the same...averaging about 4800 kms per month, or 57,000 kms per year...not sure what that is off the top of my head...35k miles annually?

If I go to the office, it's just a 60 km round trip. However, that's only 1-2 days per week. Otherwise, I'm traveling. Some days 250 kms, some days 500, and once in a while almost 1000 kms if I have a long day and want to be in my own bed that night;).

It's a good job for a TDI.:D

I still love the little car and the MPG it gets. Going to run the Beetle a bit on the highway this summer to get it broken in...again;).

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
25 miles each way- 30 min- back roads 50 mph ave

Wife's commute

50 miles each way- 45 min- mostly hwy 70 mph ave

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Ahhh zero. Retired... Thanks to the workers here you will get there.

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
minimum 164 miles round trip per day. Some days I drive further for work or personal reasons. I put about 55k miles per year on my car. My previous Passat was a 2013 SE 2.5L. I bought it in April 2014 with 37k miles and totaled it in December 2016 with 131k. Now I have my 2013 SE TDI. I love it. But I am glad that I bought it after the TDI prices tanked. :)

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
55 miles one way. Usually 60-80 min. Carpool with a good friend most days. Audiobooks when I'm solo.

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
Between 84 and 200 miles round trip, depending on the route and whether I need to go by our other house after work. I tend to end up working 7 days a week most of the year and combined with errands and other driving needs, blast past 1000 miles a week average. Last year, between the bug, the truck and the Audi, I put almost 70,000 miles on vehicles.

deeslman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 punchbuggy 2006 jetta
Depending on jobsite, finishing up one 165 miles each way. 3 hrs each way
w/o traffic.
Did I mention I love my TDI....................

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Gf and I split.

Now I drive 65 miles , half is past the city I work in, to go to the city they live in, to take him to daycare, then drive back where I just came from to work! Then drive back from work to pick him up, then drive 'home'.

Best I can do to see him 20mins a day, even if it's the back of his head in the mirror.

210 mile round trip everyday. Leave 430am, back 730pm.

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with cm11!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Over the years my commutes have varied widely. 30-35 miles to Boston in pretty bad traffic for many years, but not every day as I traveled a lot for work. For a few years twice (late 80s, and 2006-2009) I worked at home. Now I drive about 15 miles each way to work. I actually like this drive, it's long enough to get the car warm (or cool) and I don't have much traffic to deal with.

Despite the relatively short commute I seem to manage to drive 500-600 miles a week. Since I had the engine replaced in IBW 13 months ago I've driven it 28K miles. Not quite sure where I went.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I drive 35 miles each way. It takes about 45 minutes. I don't mind. I listen to music and may start messing with my ham radios again. A few new construction projects are beginning to affect my commute. So the evening drive takes longer... maybe an hour.

Scott

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
Work on road construction so job changes every year and over time if you want to be at home then a few hours in the car doesn't matter. Usually about 125 km one way is good but I have traveled up to 250 km one way every day.
The VW TDi is the only vehicle that is affordable with that many miles.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
well now I definitely dont feel so bad about my commute. 3 hours would drive me crazy, especially spending most of that time in stop and go traffic! id move/quit over that.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
well now I definitely dont feel so bad about my commute. 3 hours would drive me crazy, especially spending most of that time in stop and go traffic! id move/quit over that.
Yup. My $.02...people that just put up with that length of a drive indefinitely must have a screw loose. Unless you just can't afford to move closer AND you're making so much money that you can't justify leaving your current job.

My current drive...if I just stayed here and stopped picking up HOV riders (I don't like it...I just do it because that's what I have to do to make my current situation economically viable). That's 4+ hours of my life...each day...that I'd never get back. 20+ hours per week...IN MY CAR.:rolleyes: **** that.

I work with a guy that does that. He's spent ~5 hours a day in his car (refuses to pick up HOV passengers) for years.:rolleyes: Combine that with an office job...don't be shocked when you drop dead of a heart attack before 50.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Hey guys, seems like a lot of us TDI owners have fairly long drives to and from work each day.

ive never really had to drive to work. I got a job this week and its a 110 km (65 mile) drive one way, so ill be doing 2 hours of driving per day. in the dark. im not looking forward to it and almost turned the job down due to it. but then I see here, several times, that people are doing just as long of drives as me, so it makes me feel more normal.

maybe I just wanna make myself feel better about it and like im not the only one driving far for work every single day haha.

so, how far do you guys drive to get to work each day? in both time, and distance?

for me, its 110km / 65 miles one way, one hour. all highway. then back again at the end of the day. unpaid driving.

240km a day, 135 miles a day.

23,003 miles in 12 days.
1917 miles a day
Total drive time: 32hrs 42mm

Last edited:

deeslman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 punchbuggy 2006 jetta
Yup. My $.02...people that just put up with that length of a drive indefinitely must have a screw loose. Unless you just can't afford to move closer AND you're making so much money that you can't justify leaving your current job.

My current drive...if I just stayed here and stopped picking up HOV riders (I don't like it...I just do it because that's what I have to do to make my current situation economically viable). That's 4+ hours of my life...each day...that I'd never get back. 20+ hours per week...IN MY CAR.:rolleyes: **** that.

I work with a guy that does that. He's spent ~5 hours a day in his car (refuses to pick up HOV passengers) for years.:rolleyes: Combine that with an office job...don't be shocked when you drop dead of a heart attack before 50.
More than 1 needs securement.
Passed 50 ways back. Driving actually relaxes me.
Been doing PA. to New Jerky 25 yrs.
As far as quitting tough to do when you own the company.
As far as moving closer, if you do not live in the country, I could not make you understand.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Prior employ: 62 miles each way, 80 minutes when I left at 5 am.
Carpool with a good friend most days.
Oh, I car-pooled as well, but mine was a TDI, his was a Dodge 3/4 ton 4wd 360 cu.in pig, so guess who drove, and guess who caught up on his sleep....
However he did let me borrow it to dolly home the red B4V wagon I bought in Camden, but only on the condition I return it to him with a full tank.
Yeah, it was empty when I picked it up...

...people that just put up with that length of a drive indefinitely must have a screw loose. Unless you just can't afford to move closer AND you're making so much money that you can't justify leaving your current job.
It was a good job, good pay, great benefits, respect from management and peers, but the time away from home and the frustration of knowing that 80 minutes was the absolute best (Friday pm was sometimes 2 1/2 hours) for the trip got to me after about 10 years.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km

yep 50 is gone long ago and so is 60 and I still work but then we all don't have those golden handshakes and pensions.
I just figure 12 hour a day job is normal and some of that is in the car. Just like some others the driving is the best part of my day if the squacking phone doesn't ring.

I get to rest all winter while I wait for the frost to leave the roadbed.

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
I was working in Drayton, 25km one way, two turns, one roundabout and one traffic light, 80KM/H on two lane county road...

But, I've recently gone back to work in Cambridge.....43.5 KM from home (35mins to work at 5:45AM(in the winter, 4:45 in the summer), 1 hr home between 3:00 and 5:00PM, faster if later). Two lane backroad with 80km/h limit, 6 traffic lights, and lots of alternates lol

I love driving my TDI, and this commute is why I bought it.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
28 miles door-to-door. 30 minutes each way on open highway with little traffic. It's about the most stress free commute I've ever had. Cruise control, my second cup of coffee, and my audio book makes it a breeze. Oh, and I use a FrostHeater so I'm at temp at lift off...

rzbill

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
I work away from my home town. Commute long distance Monday and Friday. 500 mile round trip + about 200 miles local.

Certainly not like Drivbiwire's experience, but about 2/3 of the time I fly my own plane for the commute. 1/3 of the time I use the JSW. I bought the JSW for this duty. Does it very nicely.