What did you do to your MKIV today?

Makerj101

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI ALH Silver 317,000mi
climb under and remove stuck parking brake cable and order new ones for this weekend install.:(
I just did mine yesterday! Some abrasions caused water to get inside and if you apply the parking brake on a cold day they freeze. So I'm in the habit of never applying them. No more! I put some rubber fuel hose over the area where the red arrow is to add extra protection as this is the area where the old ones had been abraded and rusted. Good luck on your replacement!

Last edited:

Makerj101

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI ALH Silver 317,000mi
Most I've managed was 101 miles after empty light and I ran it dry. Was fun priming the pump as it ran out of fuel going down a hill so I hadn't noticed the engine had stalled. Lot of air in the injectors. I generally go 25-50 miles after empty light and I watch the MPG on my scan gauge to make sure I'm getting decent FE. You can also watch the fuel needle. If it's fully in the last red tik mark then it's getting really empty. There are still a couple of gallons if the needle fluctuates slightly when going up or down a hill. The art of squizing a few more miles out of that last drop! :cool:

DateOdometerTripQTYCost $Total $Tank MPGLife AVG MPGMiles Empty LightSG2 Avg MPHStationNote + Service Record
1/9/2021314,862968 17.205 $2.89949.88 56.26 54.97 101 miles until ran out44Exxon North Front St Harrisburg PARan the tank dry at 955 miles. Added two gallons and drove 13 miles before filling 2 gallon tank and car. Calculated tank size 16.97 gallons

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
IBW is back in summer mode. Snow tires and winter front off.

I'm going to run the Koseis again this year after a pretty long absence. New tires next week, along with a suspension refresh. I think the original front springs are at end of life.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Always amazed with how clean your car is. I hope in ten years mine looks the same. Except silver, because I don't want to change the color ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Always amazed with how clean your car is. I hope in ten years mine looks the same. Except silver, because I don't want to change the color ;)
Thanks. I did wash the salt off it yesterday. Seems you'll have less rust to fight in Oregon.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Most I've managed was 101 miles after empty light and I ran it dry. Was fun priming the pump as it ran out of fuel going down a hill so I hadn't noticed the engine had stalled. Lot of air in the injectors. I generally go 25-50 miles after empty light and I watch the MPG on my scan gauge to make sure I'm getting decent FE. You can also watch the fuel needle. If it's fully in the last red tik mark then it's getting really empty. There are still a couple of gallons if the needle fluctuates slightly when going up or down a hill. The art of squizing a few more miles out of that last drop! :cool:

DateOdometerTripQTYCost $Total $Tank MPGLife AVG MPGMiles Empty LightSG2 Avg MPHStationNote + Service Record
1/9/2021314,862968 17.205 $2.89949.88 56.2654.97101 miles until ran out44Exxon North Front St Harrisburg PARan the tank dry at 955 miles. Added two gallons and drove 13 miles before filling 2 gallon tank and car. Calculated tank size 16.97 gallons
Wow. 100 miles after the light. Thanks for being a pioneer. 😜

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Sound like you would enjoy life with a ventectomy: no more "venting it down" as it will vent automatically (and audibly) as you fill the last two gallons or so. Here is my favorite old "Ventectomy Tread": Ventectomy -- New guy's first mod! | TDIClub Forums

Also I highly recommend using the "Finger Fuel Mod" to fill the last few inches of the filler neck without foam (so that you can actually see fuel in there)...

Bonus reading: One finger over fuel pump nozzle hole prevents foam! Who knew ...

Using these techniques I consistantly (and satisfyingly) squeeze an extra 9.5L (2.5 gal) in after the first "vent cutoff" which still happens, even with a ventectomy, if you run the nozzel at max fuel rate. Its like having all the benefits of a vent without the stupid button, and the choice to bypass the whole damn system and fit 2.5 more gallons with very little effort.

edit: also the most I have ever put in is 64.5L (17 gal) and my low fuel light consistently comes on at 55L (14.5 gal) so I am confident that there is a 9L (2.5 gal) reserve. I think the owners manual says 7L (1.85 gal) reserve.
That's pretty damn cool! wonder what the purpose of the little hole in the fuel nozzle is for. I did the ventectomy the other night it was simple. thanks 😬

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I ordered a set of helix rccr lights for my golf... No more smoked lights for me.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Nice Moz, do you have a link for those . Was looking at these, I like the black. wonder if they're worth considering. lenses are plastic I'm sure. wondering how they stage the halo to come on by itself with only an off-on lamp setting. I was able to polish up my stock lenses for now they look new. 1500 wetsandpaper followed bymeguiars with hard rag pressure.

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Nice Moz, do you have a link for those . Was looking at these, I like the black. wonder if they're worth considering. lenses are plastic I'm sure. wondering how they stage the halo to come on by itself with only an off-on lamp setting. I was able to polish up my stock lenses for now they look new. 1500 wetsandpaper followed bymeguiars with heavy fast rag pressure.

With those lights, I would probably consider a projector upgrade. Also, at the very least; the Golf Mod to the wiring so the low stays on with the high. Adding a bi-xenon projector with a decent pattern would be ideal, but it is not clear how big the lows are...it looks like 2.5"...just with the eyeball ruler... :)
cheers,
Douglas

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
With those lights, I would probably consider a projector upgrade. Also, at the very least; the Golf Mod to the wiring so the low stays on with the high. Adding a bi-xenon projector with a decent pattern would be ideal, but it is not clear how big the lows are...it looks like 2.5"...just with the eyeball ruler... :)
cheers,
Douglas
thanks, so as 'plug and go' not the greatest it sounds. maybe I'm better off staying with the stockers.. after polishing they cast some pretty fair light. I may just add some auxilary deer lights off a toggle since deer strikes are pretty common around here .

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Nice Moz, do you have a link for those . Was looking at these, I like the black. wonder if they're worth considering. lenses are plastic I'm sure. wondering how they stage the halo to come on by itself with only an off-on lamp setting. I was able to polish up my stock lenses for now they look new. 1500 wetsandpaper followed bymeguiars with hard rag pressure.

So, what I got are tail lights for my golf... https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-tail-light-kit-helix-hvwg4tlrccr
The ones I have are very dim because they're smoked, it hasn't been much of a problem, but I did get pulled over once for that.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I got pulled over on the Interstate last night, we were headed for Judy's 2nd vaccine dose. Trooper noticed I had a headlight out, the low beam thankfully on the Golf is NOT part of the high beams. Ordered a pair of H7s from IBW and Co, getting the Flosser 90%+. Have to wait though for the Optilube to come in for the order. I'll have to dig around for a spare bulb in the parts inventory, should have an old bulb to throw in in the interim,,,,, somewhere, lol.

And a pair of stock rear axle bushings, noticed in the cold the rear end has been getting clunky, after 190k I'm thinking it's time to replace 'em. I know everybody likes the Cupras, but I've gone with OEM rubber everywhere else, they do last.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Installed a big Donaldson 3 micron filter/separator. This on a Nictane-style head that keeps the thermostatic T. Took a few bumps to fill up the filter with the pump( the '04 BEW ). The thermo-T takes 012 o-rings, the blue being fluorosilicone, and the black, 70D Viton.

It needed a filter change anyway...:) it has been longer than recommended.
cheers,
Douglas

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I got pulled over on the Interstate last night, we were headed for Judy's 2nd vaccine dose. Trooper noticed I had a headlight out, the low beam thankfully on the Golf is NOT part of the high beams. Ordered a pair of H7s from IBW and Co, getting the Flosser 90%+. Have to wait though for the Optilube to come in for the order. I'll have to dig around for a spare bulb in the parts inventory, should have an old bulb to throw in in the interim,,,,, somewhere, lol.

And a pair of stock rear axle bushings, noticed in the cold the rear end has been getting clunky, after 190k I'm thinking it's time to replace 'em. I know everybody likes the Cupras, but I've gone with OEM rubber everywhere else, they do last.
Go for the Cupra. It is not a harsh ride at all, just feels more connected. They also have spacers that cut down on movement axial to the mount. The ones I took out of my BEW had just shown a kiss due to axial movement...should probably lay in a spare pair of Cupra R's just in case...would not consider anything else... :)

Bushing splitter chisel for an air hammer makes *SHORT work of getting the old ones out. A CP 715 should be plenty of bump to do the job. a .401 chisel is about $20 delivered. Of course a 7x rivet gun makes such short work that you will hardly get comfortable and ready to pull its trigger before they are laying on the ground and the axle is ready to have the new ones pushed in.

Douglas

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Go for the Cupra. It is not a harsh ride at all, just feels more connected. They also have spacers that cut down on movement axial to the mount. The ones I took out of my BEW had just shown a kiss due to axial movement...should probably lay in a spare pair of Cupra R's just in case...would not consider anything else... :)

Bushing splitter chisel for an air hammer makes *SHORT work of getting the old ones out. A CP 715 should be plenty of bump to do the job. a .401 chisel is about $20 delivered. Of course a 7x rivet gun makes such short work that you will hardly get comfortable and ready to pull its trigger before they are laying on the ground and the axle is ready to have the new ones pushed in.

Douglas
Have a link to the chisel? I have the air hammer...

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I put white line synthetic rubber in both our cars, nice and firm it should last even longer than rubber. They’re two piece with a steel bushing so they’re real easy to install

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

Uberragend

TDI
'02 Golf 2Dr 5M Indigo blue, '03 Golf 2Dr 5M Candy white
Installed a creation of my own engineering. Love being able to monitor things, but the cockpit on these cars are not friendly for lots of gauges. Since I dont have heated seats, I have empty dash blanks. Modded a vent mount phone cradle into one a while back.
Found some small digital volt meters on Amazon, small enough to fit in the blank. After opening it with a Dremel, I finished the hole with flat files. Works great so far.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
thanks, so as 'plug and go' not the greatest it sounds. maybe I'm better off staying with the stockers.. after polishing they cast some pretty fair light. I may just add some auxilary deer lights off a toggle since deer strikes are pretty common around here .
I had a set from Spec-D that looked like that and the light output from them was terrible; ended up doing as suggested above and pulling out the installed projectors and putting in a set of D2S bi-xenon 2.5" projectors. And did the Golf four-light-high-beam wiring mod.
Prior to my Mk7 with HIDs, by far the best headlights I've ever had.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Installed a creation of my own engineering. Love being able to monitor things, but the cockpit on these cars are not friendly for lots of gauges. Since I dont have heated seats, I have empty dash blanks. Modded a vent mount phone cradle into one a while back.
Found some small digital volt meters on Amazon, small enough to fit in the blank. After opening it with a Dremel, I finished the hole with flat files. Works great so far.

Looks great! Got a link to the digital voltmeter you got from Amazon - save the trouble of guessing at dimensions. :)

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Uberragend, how is it hooked up? I can't believe that it is tolerably dim at night...or is a bit of tape going to get employed...:) As in, is it two wires or three...or?
cheers,
Douglas

Uberragend

TDI
'02 Golf 2Dr 5M Indigo blue, '03 Golf 2Dr 5M Candy white
Uberragend, how is it hooked up? I can't believe that it is tolerably dim at night...or is a bit of tape going to get employed...:) As in, is it two wires or three...or?
cheers,
Douglas
Doug - I wired it to the fuse block that is above the dead pedal. The left most post is powered with the ignition on. The ground is another post under the dash. The VM came as a 3 wire, but I removed the 2 power wires and soldered a single wire in their place, across the 2 poles. I took the car out last night, and it wasnt nearly as bright as I thought it might be. I could put a small section of light window tint across the face, which might actually make it look better both ON and OFF. I'm going to drive it this way for a bit and see if it gets annoying or not. I think I might also build another with the blue display, and see what that one looks like. I haven't glued the display into the blank....it fit snug....so I can experiment.
Looks great! Got a link to the digital voltmeter you got from Amazon - save the trouble of guessing at dimensions. :)
Nuje - There were a ton of these on Amazon, all with different dimensions and different combinations of colors. The ones I bought are 22mm x 14mm x 8mm. Displays are red (3), blue (1), and green(1). All 5 were $10.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Nice job there. I've thought about doing the same thing with those two blank windows saying hello at me. My two steering console gauges could have company soon... double the dash candy that already keeps me from looking at the road some! Lol

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I know it's more expensive the individual gauges, but ColorMFA will show you a lot of this info too live on the screen. Personally, I'd rather have the info shown on my cluster than having to install extra meters and dials.

With that said, that little red LED screen looks pretty clean.