What did you do to your MKIV today?

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Put in a new suspension with pre built MOOG shock and springs combo up front. Used Sachs strut and MOOG Jetta wagon springs in the back.

A massive difference in height, feel and stiffness. Super impressed. Only driven it for literally 1.5 miles but will try more tomorrow and Monday(drinking beer now).

Passenger front side was a bit of a bear to get off the old setup. Every other corner was a breeze.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Had all my parts for adding two gauges come in Friday. After a lot of shopping... SW, Auto Meter, isspro and some others.... I surprisingly settled on Glowshift mainly because the others required additional purchasing of sending units and/or installation kits to make it happen. I'm just getting to the age where that is not appealing especially as a business owner. C'mon you're selling a gauge put all the parts together and make it ready to go.

Couldn't be happier with the results. I DID buy the overpriced two-gauge steering column console (uggh puuhh) and went with boost and oil pressure gauges. Since I'm not heavy performance demands went with oil pressure not egt. I didn't like the fact that the ecu only reports low oil pressure when above 2000 rpm. That is completely useless for diesels and especially city driving. ridiculous. I bought a tapped banjo bolt to replace the "stock" turbo banjo off oil filter housing and mounted the sending unit there. I like that oil pressure point since it tells me pressure heading to the turbo more specifically. For the boost gauge I tapped the egr block-off plate.

Oil pressure readings at temperature are 18 psi at idle, 45 psi at 2000 rpm, and 60 psi at 2500 rpm. I think higher than some report. Was just happy to see pressure. lol

Update: I dont think my engine oil was FULLY to temp even tho my Vag coolant temp showed 90c. Subtract 5psi from the above idle number, almost 10 psi from the others. Now that's after 33 miles driving.

Last edited:

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Put in a new suspension with pre built MOOG shock and springs combo up front. Used Sachs strut and MOOG Jetta wagon springs in the back.

A massive difference in height, feel and stiffness. Super impressed. Only driven it for literally 1.5 miles but will try more tomorrow and Monday(drinking beer now).

Passenger front side was a bit of a bear to get off the old setup. Every other corner was a breeze.
How much height did you gain in the front? And how is the quality of the Moog part?

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Helped my son put a new (used) 02j in his car yesterday.

Note to the PO who used blue loctite on the 3 bottom bolts on the transmission mount, you loose, I got them out.

Note to normal people: If you locktie those in, they may not come out. One broke flush with the hole it goes into. After trying to drill, and breaking my drill bit about 3/4" in... I welded a 3/8" nut on it and used the torch to heat up the transmission boss (to break the LT bond) i got it. The other broke, but left me a visegrip shank. Lucky to, because I could see the ample LT on the threads.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
How much height did you gain in the front? And how is the quality of the Moog part?
I had old and slightly sagging suspension, so about 2 inches total in front and a solid 1.5 in the rear. I do have rear seats, spare tire and parts removed for more room. Probably an additional 120 pounds lighter right there.

Quality was solid all around. I was impressed with the pre-assembled unit. They did forget to send me a new top cap(received one) so I will reach out for that tomorrow.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
It’s 70 degrees today here in Denver so figured it was a perfect day to replace all the original boost hoses in the bay. I wasn’t having any known issues but after replacing there was a little bump in responsiveness which is always nice.

Ive done enough for one weekend 🍺

Question. Does anyone know what that little Oreo(half black and white) solenoid thing is that comes off the N75 valve? It seems to release pressure after turning off the car and curious if that is it’s function.

Last edited:

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD

Note to the PO who used blue loctite on the 3 bottom bolts on the transmission mount, you loose, I got them out.

Note to normal people: If you locktie those in, they may not come out. One broke flush with the hole it goes into. After trying to drill, and breaking my drill bit about 3/4" in... I welded a 3/8" nut on it and used the torch to heat up the transmission boss (to break the LT bond) i got it. The other broke, but left me a visegrip shank. Lucky to, because I could see the ample LT on the threads.
It's incredible the amount of bolt tightening craziness PO's have used on vehicles I've owned over the years. I have no idea sometimes what people are thinking. If you don't have 30 years of turning wrenches.... follow the torques specs please !!!! And never use RED loctite.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins

That thread locker is factory. Found it on a Golf I know the history of, and on my son's Jetta. The Jetta broke a bolt, and it was not flush...just kept the mount from coming off. Stuck the other bolts back in, turned a bushing and drilled down near the trans case, then re-made the bushing for a drill that would turn the bolt to chips. Once out, heated the case with a propane torch and easily removed the bolt once it was warm and that blue crud flowed easily.

Not going to ever lean on those bolts unless the trans is warm...and then I won't have to. LOL
cheers,
Douglas

Stupendous60

Veteran Member
TDI
It’s 70 degrees today here in Denver so figured it was a perfect day to replace all the original boost hoses in the bay. I wasn’t having any known issues but after replacing there was a little bump in responsiveness which is always nice.

Ive done enough for one weekend 🍺

Question. Does anyone know what that little Oreo(half black and white) solenoid thing is that comes off the N75 valve? It seems to release pressure after turning off the car and curious if that is it’s function.
It is a vacuum check valve. Allows vac to be pulled in one direction (working end) then holds vac from bleeding off.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Filled up today. 16.2 gallons.
Nero, how did you do that. I ran my tank down until the light came on, drove another 20 miles, filled up by topping and venting about 10 times and only managed to squeeze in 14.5 ga. Do I just need to drive further or do something else?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
My light came on right as I pulled out of my driveway this morning. One way to work is 14 miles. Made it to the station by my house on the way home, so light was on for 28 miles.

My FIS said I still had 15 miles left too lol
Mind you, I'm vented, and I slow fill mine all the way up the neck, since diesel can be quite foamy.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Did the fill to the top of the neck about 10-25 times, venting the neck valve each time to let it go down.. but still only got in 14.5 gallons. I was thinking of carrying some gas in the trunk and running it down once to empty to see how many miles I have after the light is on. But I'm not sure that's okay on the lift pump

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Do the ventectomy mod, then you might be able to get it completely full, plus you won't have to mess with pressing the button to vent anymore.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
At highway speed (100km/h), I've been able to get 100km/62mi (not purposely) after the low fuel light came on; so, at a little over 5L/100km fuel economy - that brings it in around 1.5USgal.

(And yes - like @Nero Morg says, just do the ventectomy mod and avoid the super-stinky fingers.)

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
At highway speed (100km/h), I've been able to get 100km/62mi (not purposely) after the low fuel light came on; so, at a little over 5L/100km fuel economy - that brings it in around 1.5USgal.

(And yes - like @Nero Morg says, just do the ventectomy mod and avoid the super-stinky fingers.)
Thanks Nuje. I'm not sure how my 04 compares, but I figure it's got to have 1 or 2 gallons in there after the light comes on. The ol run it dry trick would tell me exactly. maybe I should just check the manual. :unsure:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I was driving cross-country east to west one night and passed the fuel station at the Colorado/Utah border that says "last fuel for X miles" but I didn't stop because I had a half tank. That stretch of I70 has huge gaps between exits, but I thought I had plenty of fuel to make it to the next station. That was a mistake. My fuel light came on in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception and no exit for a very long time according to my trucker's atlas. I actually made it to the next station though... having gone 75 miles after the fuel light activated. I had to pry my hands out of the steering wheel with a crowbar I was so panicked.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I think there’s at least two gallons left after the fuel light comes on. I am guessing, but I believe there’s a law or regulation that specifies this in order to save peoples’ collective butts.....

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I was driving cross-country east to west one night and passed the fuel station at the Colorado/Utah border that says "last fuel for X miles" but I didn't stop because I had a half tank. That stretch of I70 has huge gaps between exits, but I thought I had plenty of fuel to make it to the next station. That was a mistake. My fuel light came on in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception and no exit for a very long time according to my trucker's atlas. I actually made it to the next station though... having gone 75 miles after the fuel light activated. I had to pry my hands out of the steering wheel with a crowbar I was so panicked.
That's when you activate max hypermiling methods and pray very hard.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Did the fill to the top of the neck about 10-25 times, venting the neck valve each time to let it go down.. but still only got in 14.5 gallons. I was thinking of carrying some gas in the trunk and running it down once to empty to see how many miles I have after the light is on. But I'm not sure that's okay on the lift pump
Sound like you would enjoy life with a ventectomy: no more "venting it down" as it will vent automatically (and audibly) as you fill the last two gallons or so. Here is my favorite old "Ventectomy Tread": Ventectomy -- New guy's first mod! | TDIClub Forums

Also I highly recommend using the "Finger Fuel Mod" to fill the last few inches of the filler neck without foam (so that you can actually see fuel in there)...

Bonus reading: One finger over fuel pump nozzle hole prevents foam! Who knew ...

Using these techniques I consistantly (and satisfyingly) squeeze an extra 9.5L (2.5 gal) in after the first "vent cutoff" which still happens, even with a ventectomy, if you run the nozzel at max fuel rate. Its like having all the benefits of a vent without the stupid button, and the choice to bypass the whole damn system and fit 2.5 more gallons with very little effort.

edit: also the most I have ever put in is 64.5L (17 gal) and my low fuel light consistently comes on at 55L (14.5 gal) so I am confident that there is a 9L (2.5 gal) reserve. I think the owners manual says 7L (1.85 gal) reserve.

Last edited:

Stupendous60

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok very good. Should you hear it release pressure after turning the car off?
No, are you sure it is leaking back? Remove it, put a vac gauge on one side, hand pump vac it from the other side, release vac on pump side and gauge should show vac held/holding.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins

Doods...just push that vent button with the nozzle to fill once it hits the normal shut off. Should take it up another 2.5 gallons or so( or maybe I's doing it wrong ), but I can guarantee no diesel-ey fingers... :)
cheers,
Douglas

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
No, are you sure it is leaking back? Remove it, put a vac gauge on one side, hand pump vac it from the other side, release vac on pump side and gauge should show vac held/holding.
It’s truly what it sounds like right at that little Oreo valve. Truly no symptoms that I can feel with it but noticed it the other day before I decided to swap all boost lines with new ones. I’ll give that a shot, thank you!

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Doods...just push that vent button with the nozzle to fill once it hits the normal shut off. Should take it up another 2.5 gallons or so( or maybe I's doing it wrong ), but I can guarantee no diesel-ey fingers... :)
cheers,
Douglas
I was doing the standing there for ten minutes pushing the button about 20 times in the cold blowing wind got old so i did a vacectomy to the venteroo last night... was easy peasy. 👍

Reddogg12

TDI
1998 Vw Beetle TDI 259,000 miles 2006 Jetta TDI, 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
climb under and remove stuck parking brake cable and order new ones for this weekend install.:(