VW rebuilt 1Z no serial number

Jet 02

TDI
2002 Jetta, Vanagon AHU project
I have a VW factory rebuilt engine, or so it says on the gold sticker on the block.
Now the rub, I have cleaned the area of the block off where the engine number should be and it is blank. Is this normal for a factory-rebuilt motor to have no serial number?
Any info please.
Thanks
Jet 02

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
None of the VW crate motors I've owned have had an engine code or serial number on them except for the AAA VR6s I've had.

AEB's usually have the head stamped on the tab above the hook on the left:

no stamp aba:

Jet 02

TDI
2002 Jetta, Vanagon AHU project
Why SN is needed

Thanks for the replies. I bought an engine/transmission unit from a dismantler in Texas. The engine was very dirty due to a cracked plastic crankcase ventilation fitting. After cleaning it I found the sticker indicating it was rebuilt for Volkswagen of Canada.
I hope to install it into a Vanagon. With the CARB (California Air Recourses Board) regulations the engine must have all the original emissions items on it. Running without an EGR cooler would be easier for the install. The timing cover sticker does state "Engine Identification 1Z9220XX". From what I have read the early 1Z did not have an EGR cooler. I do not know if the sticker was from the original core motor or originated by VW for the rebuild.
Thanks
Jet 02

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've thought about that and always thought a stamp could be added for the engine it replaced ;)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Keep in mind, not all VAG "reman" engines are actually rebuilt. Some are brand spanking new. It all has to do with what is in the core bank, what the costs involved with rebuilding, etc.

Same for transmissions.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
What year did they stop producing the 1Z? If it's prior to 1998, when the smog crap kicks in, the DMV will only do a visual inspection when you take it in to register it; no testing other than that.