Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I've got 38600 miles on my 2013 JSW - putting on about 30 more every day. I really would like to get rid of this before I have to do the 40k service. I had been saving my $500 gift card for that, but would rather apply it toward the purchase of a GTI or GSW TSI - especially if VW offers an added incentive for former TDI owners willing to get back into a new VW.

But now I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and park the thing and buy a new car now. I'm finding incredible deals on new GSWs and GTIs - up to 17% off MSRP.

Just wish I knew the details of the buyback - I don't care if it takes six months to implement it.

First world problems!
Don't do the service. If you know you will not keep the car for the next 15 years and some additional wear and tear of the engine and transmission doesn't bother you.... prolonging the oil change and DSG service is not a big deal. I waited till 50,000 miles to do my DSG personally. The oil change itself shouldn't be more than 75$ too, but to put that off for a additional 1000-2000 miles wouldn't be the end of the world.

If you feel you might would keep the car if the buy back offer isn't extremely generous, then perhaps go ahead and do the oil change, but have them ONLY change the oil. You can do the other suggested maintenance items at 45K or 50K and you won't be hurting a thing on the car.

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
Because the vast majority of people are interested only in themselves and how they can profit from it.
GM also declared bankruptcy and screwed thousands out of their pension. GM also left Toyota hanging for the Fremont plant and its environmental disaster... GM also sold Cadillacs with Oldsmobile engines.
GM also produced a car called the Corvair that was prone to flipping... they knew about it before production and how their rear engine was 150 pounds overweight... yet refused to put a 5 dollar sway bar in the back that would have solved the issue...
GM also sends most of its jobs out of the country and yet takes out bail out money.. OUR taxes to save its butt... and then sends more jobs overseas...
VW was one of the first to build its cars IN the USA... and continues to do so.
The emissions outrage you hear on this forum is a farce. A veiled fake anger over what people are really fearing... the loss of value on a car they want to get rid of because they want a new shine SUV..
You can't paint everybody with a broad brush. I've read many posts from people who are angry because they were duped, or their cars are less green then they thought. It isn't about the $$ for some.

I'm more angry in that I am stuck with a car I don't want anymore. I can't sell, true, because of the loss of value. So I wait for word about what VW is going to do. I'm not looking for anything other than the ability to get out of my car at a fair price. I'm not going to throw good money after bad in order to get out of the car.... that is foolish

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
Just a reminder, but VAG made 213 BILLION LAST YEAR (2015), in the middle of the scandal...

2014 was 202 BILLION.

Assets are still 381 BILLION.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Yep, they're not hurting as much as many in this thread wish they were. :rolleyes:
And while VW sells lots if DIESEL cars in Europe, they are a pretty small part of their US sales....and they have new and improved gas motors....the 2.0 "slow" is finely gone....
the new gas motors are more efficient than their old ones, and are turbo...something that mist every European made car is these days ....
Puts VW in a good position to install more gasoline motors in the cars, and less or even zero DIESEL cars.....the cars are mostly the same....just a production line change...install engine "b" rather than "a".....

austintg

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 Technik
Which was profoundly annoying. Actually, you can use it for fuel, but you have to go inside to use it. You can't use it as a debit or credit transaction at the actual pump, which sucked when I'd fill up at stations that were closed (but the pumps still turned on).

At a few stations, I was able to get cash back by having them charge the card for maybe $60 more than I needed to fill my tank (which costs about $23-28), and most times, they'd just give me the difference back in cash.

Wait y'all didn't purchase a money order? I put the $500 straight in my bank and didn't have to worry about restrictions at all. Hate Walmart but they let me buy one for a tiny fee.

Chris Thomas

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI sold to VW bought a 2016 Chevrolet Colorado diesel to replace it.(wanted AWD and work at a GM dealership)
Wait y'all didn't purchase a money order? I put the $500 straight in my bank and didn't have to worry about restrictions at all. Hate Walmart but they let me buy one for a tiny fee.
I just used my square card reader to swipe the VW visa and deposited into my checking account. As for replacement vehicles, did drive the new Malibu and it is sweet, just waiting for the hybrid version to come out(I think it is rated 47 mpg combined). Or the Colorado diesel with 4wd of course.

velostuf

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
On the discussion on why VW would have a two pronged strategy on where they do buybacks.
There are two larger segments of us consumers. Those who are done no matter what, and those who have a varying degree of openess for VW to keep our business.
For those who are adament and not coming back, offering another option isn't horrible. Those people aren't buying from VW anyway, why bog down your staff with them.
I'm not in sales, but I've been around a while and know this about decent salespeople- They should NEVER throw in the towel and stop trying to make the sale. It goes against everything SALES 101 to say "I'm not going to waste salespeople's time trying to sell to them"

ALSO, in my experience VERY VERY VERY few people are so principled (stubborn) that they won't consider an excellent economic deal. In other words, virtually everyone is a slut and "has a price".

Summary- A guy (or a company) has to be extremely cocky to think he can figure out who is worth trying to make the sale to, and who is not. Any salesperson worth their salt should be foaming at the mouth to be able to interact with warm bodies to try to sell cars. The more the merrier!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And while VW sells lots if DIESEL cars in Europe, they are a pretty small part of their US sales....and they have new and improved gas motors....the 2.0 "slow" is finely gone....
the new gas motors are more efficient than their old ones, and are turbo...something that mist every European made car is these days ....
Puts VW in a good position to install more gasoline motors in the cars, and less or even zero DIESEL cars.....the cars are mostly the same....just a production line change...install engine "b" rather than "a".....
Gone here, yes. Which kinda sucks actually, since it is a very good engine and will easily outlive ANY of the other VAG engines sold here in the last decade and be far less of a headache to own and operate.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Of course a gasser puts out more pollutants than a TDI (except for NOx at the moment). :eek:
What romad said. :cool:

Although it may seem counter intuitive to anybody thinking "diesel is dirty and bad for the environment", my choice for cleaner air and protecting the environment and helping to save the planet is DIESEL. My decision was based on research and not on propaganda from a car manufacturer. I was already on board with diesel long before the CR TDIs came on the market. "Pick your poison" applies.

See the links here and in my sig below. (Thanks Wxman!)
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/efficiency.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/performance.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2014.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2016.html

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
I've heard that VW Audi plans to drop all the TDI's aside from the Audi 3.0 TDI as their new 2.0T engines are getting roughly 100km less a tank of fuel in the GTI 4dr cars. Hope this is just a rumor!

YikeGrymon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta (-erl-) 2004 R32 (-gaz-).... 2017 Tiguan replaced both
I agree. It's a hot mess for them. Clearly the US market is something VW has a hard time understanding.
Dunno. It's always seemed to me that they don't have a hard time understanding it, more like like they choose to go their own way anyhow. Perhaps opting NOT to understand it, in their rather classic "We know what's best for you... now if you'd just listen to us already" sort of approach.

Not saying it's all bad or anything. They certainly have made a few clever moves on the details. My favorite is the Jetta trunk lid: hinges with no arms that protrude down into the trunk itself to crush stuff. Maybe this wasn't their idea originally, but I've never seen it anywhere else.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Gone here, yes. Which kinda sucks actually, since it is a very good engine and will easily outlive ANY of the other VAG engines sold here in the last decade and be far less of a headache to own and operate.
That was the 2.<slow> engine, AEG engine code, IIRC? I had a 2000 Golf 2.<slow> gasser for a while before my Subaru WRX, before my 02 Golf TDI. The 2.<slow> gasser was my first VW. I liked the '00 Golf enough that I knew what to get when I got the 02 Golf TDI after the WRX made me a serious friend of OPEC. The AEG seemed to be a solid and simple engine and easy to work on. IIRC it was noted for high oil consumption and I kept an eye on it and kept it topped off. I was adding close to 1 quart of oil every 2k miles. Never had any problem with it.

Last edited:

velostuf

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Dunno. It's always seemed to me that they don't have a hard time understanding it, more like like they choose to go their own way anyhow. Perhaps opting NOT to understand it, in their rather classic "We know what's best for you... now if you'd just listen to us already" sort of approach.
Not saying it's all bad or anything. They certainly have made a few clever moves on the details. My favorite is the Jetta trunk lid: hinges with no arms that protrude down into the trunk itself to crush stuff. Maybe this wasn't their idea originally, but I've never seen it anywhere else.
Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they don't understand... I agree with YikeGrymon that VW *understands* things, but for whatever reason they continuously choose a path that is difficult for many of us to... umm... ummm... under... umm... reconcile?

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
They've always made good cars, and offer a very good value. But they are without a doubt quirky.

I think on the higher end they hit the mark well. Porsche and Audi make really good, non-quirky cars. I think for the mass market they are a little in the dark

csl223

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI, 6sp Manual
Lots of cars have this, but a lot at that price point don't. But this is also something VW got rid of in their cheapening this decade. Not only are they no longer on the jetta, even the passat has the silly old arms that invade the trunk.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Shh! Don't tell him that, wouldn't want to pop his balloon. But then if he's really serious about the environment, my son owns a bike shop. I'm sure he'd be willing to deal :D
I heard that the propulsion system on those vehicles are gross polluters of methane. ;)

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
I wouldn't be surprised if VW pull the plug on the US market after this gets settled.
The US market should have tremendous upside for VW. They have tapped most other world markets very well . If they would offer exciting new models like they have the rest of the world they could grow their market here .

csl223

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI, 6sp Manual
Interesting Special offers

I just noticed something interesting in the special offers at VW.com...

The Jetta and Passat models no longer have "Gas models only" under the bonus cash and finance offers like they've had ever since the stop-sale went into effect. Also, the memorial day cash went back to being for "2015 and 2016 models" instead of just 2016 (I think offers in the past few months just said 2016 models, but I could be wrong on that one).

This makes me suspicious that VW is planning to have the TDI models sell-able before the may 31st expiration of the current offers. Though I am probably reading way too much into this, because that seems like a reach to me.

Also, not that I want a new TDI... but If VW gives everyone fire-sale prices on the old TDIs that have been sitting around before current TDI owners can even get their buyback that would be pretty poopy, haha.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The US market should have tremendous upside for VW. They have tapped most other world markets very well . If they would offer exciting new models like they have the rest of the world they could grow their market here .
Even though a lot of non-VW owners view of VW is as a lying, gross polluting company? How long do you think it will take VW to overcome this stigma?

14tdipassat

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat SE 6M
This thread didn't suggest it. Well...not unless this thread has become self-aware.:D In all seriousness though...I think people (including myself) throw $h1t like that out there because of the sheer cluster f**k-edness of this whole situation...and because...well...this thread is entertaining.

Edit: That's not polite, so I'll remove it (not directed at you...just kind of out there).
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5030738&postcount=25173

Where is this "out there" other than this thread?

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Originally Posted by peterdaniel View Post
Because the vast majority of people are interested only in themselves and how they can profit from it.
GM also declared bankruptcy and screwed thousands out of their pension. GM also left Toyota hanging for the Fremont plant and its environmental disaster... GM also sold Cadillacs with Oldsmobile engines.
GM also produced a car called the Corvair that was prone to flipping... they knew about it before production and how their rear engine was 150 pounds overweight... yet refused to put a 5 dollar sway bar in the back that would have solved the issue...
GM also sends most of its jobs out of the country and yet takes out bail out money.. OUR taxes to save its butt... and then sends more jobs overseas...
VW was one of the first to build its cars IN the USA... and continues to do so.
The emissions outrage you hear on this forum is a farce. A veiled fake anger over what people are really fearing... the loss of value on a car they want to get rid of because they want a new shine SUV..

Remember, these companies are here because of Tax breaks or import duty elimination solely.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
I am a little surprised by the anticipation of this June 21 date. It seems that many are expecting they will have their buy-back money in hand by the July 4th long weekend.

Remember even if VW/epa/carb have a detailed plan filed (a big if) the judge has stated he is looking for public input after the plan is published. Plan may iterate based on that feedback (otherwise what's the use of the feedback). It will then likely take many months before the first TDI is bought back. I forecast it will be at least November before that happens. Threadzilla should be at least 60,000 posts before the first $ is received. (Imagine the post rate once we have some real info to discuss)

I myself am hoping that the buy back doesn't expire for at least another year. Especially if the FMV is calculated on Sep 2015 value with no further depreciation for time or miles.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am a little surprised by the anticipation of this June 21 date. It seems that many are expecting they will have their buy-back money in hand by the July 4th long weekend.
Remember even if VW/eps/carb have a detailed plan filed (a big if) the judge has stated he is looking for public input after the plan is published. Plan may iterate based on that feedback (otherwise what's the use of the feedback). It will then likely take many months before the first TDI is bought back. I forecast it will be November before that happens. Threadzilla should be at least 60,000 posts before the first $ is received. (Imagine the post rate once we have some real info to discuss)

I myself am hoping that the buy back doesn't expire for at least another year. Especially if the FMV is calculated on Sep 15 value with no further depreciation for time or miles.
The June 21st date is the date the PROPOSED settlement will be released for the 30 day PUBLIC COMMENT period. JULY 26th is the EARLIEST Judge Breyer MIGHT approve the settlement.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I myself am hoping that the buy back doesn't expire for at least another year. Especially if the FMV is calculated on Sep 15 value with no further depreciation for time or miles.
yup..finely a thinker...drag it out every day to the last day for the buyback....
I bet there WILL be a adjustment for miles...but still...every minute you wait, the more you come out ahead in most cases!!

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
The June 21st date is the date the PROPOSED settlement will be released for the 30 day PUBLIC COMMENT period. JULY 26th is the EARLIEST Judge Breyer MIGHT approve the settlement.
Yes, and even if did happen that fast it will be many months more to implement the program and buy-back the first vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.