Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Went to a VW dealer with my daughter to get a window in her TDI re-tinted during Thanksgiving break. While waiting I walked the lot and got hit up by a salesman while I was looking at a used '15 Jetta TDI on their lot with ~14k mi. They were asking just a couple hundred less than I paid for hers new (same model). I quickly looked up the KBB private party value on my phone. I decided to play and offered $200 less just to see what would happen. They wouldn't take it. I was driving by the dealer Saturday and noticed that car was gone. FWIW, maybe resale values are not taking such a huge hit?

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I think this is funny. It's from the NY Times
NY Times: sarcasm-and-doubt-precede-vws-update-on-cheating-inquiry

NY Times said:
“There is this general notion that the U.S. is overstating the case in order to damage one of the major competitors of the U.S. carmakers,” said Nils Stieglitz, a professor at the Frankfurt School of Finance who studies corporate strategy.

A satirical video produced recently by ZDF, a publicly funded broadcaster, captured some of this sentiment.The video begins with an announcer intoning, “We interrupt this broadcast for an official threat to autoland Germany from the United States of America.”

What follows is a montage of American pickup trucks splashing through mud bogs and spewing black smoke. There is a shot of women in bikinis firing guns, in line with stereotypes of Americans as lovers of weapons and big cars.

The announcer says sarcastically: “American cars — not manipulated. For the good of the environment.”
You have to admit that all of the huge SUVs and trucks on the road in this country don't paint the picture of a concerned populous.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Went to a VW dealer with my daughter to get a window in her TDI re-tinted during Thanksgiving break. While waiting I walked the lot and got hit up by a salesman while I was looking at a used '15 Jetta TDI on their lot with ~14k mi. They were asking just a couple hundred less than I paid for hers new (same model). I quickly looked up the KBB private party value on my phone. I decided to play and offered $200 less just to see what would happen. They wouldn't take it. I was driving by the dealer Saturday and noticed that car was gone. FWIW, maybe resale values are not taking such a huge hit?
They aren't. Many of us have been saying this for as long as this thread has been alive. Dealerships offer pennies on the dollar for any trade-in, that's never been news.

If you get an honest salesperson he'll flat out tell you that they can't keep the used TDIs on the lot. I've had more than one offer me peanuts, "apologize", but also tell me if I really want to get out of it then let him know because he already has a buyer for my car.

Rudyjo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen Tdi
I bought my 2015 GSW,S model on August31st. There was not much to choose from and I ended up with a color that wasn't my 1st choice.
The same dealer's website now has 6 2015 GSW, S models for sale with a mark-up of close to $2,000 over what I paid. There is now a much better choice of colors.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Also I talked to the manager about the fix, I asked him, if it was going to have the adblue system installed and he said my 2012 Jetta was one of the tough fixes, he said he was not sure if they really had a solid idea of what they were going to do with this gen of cars yet!
Some time ago, I was told by our local dealership president that the fix for our 13 Jetta would involve both an adblue retrofit and a software update. Seeing that everything VW here in Canada seems to happen 4-6 weeks behind the US I'm surprised at these comments.

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
They must be printing it in Illinois then using all that idle time now at the Chattanooga plant to stuff the envelopes. They didn't want it to look too obvious, so they had someone drive to Nashville to mail them. :D

Love my TDI
I think we should have some bumper stickers made up!

I STILL LOVE MY DIRTY TDI

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
You posted 3rd party assertions by an unnamed reviewer and irrelevant NJ statues and case law, none of which would be relevant, useful, or even admissible in a California suit. :rolleyes:
LOL! You actually read that post?! You sir, are a more patient man than I :D

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Since the EPA is always all about money, AND you can buy pollution credits.. here is my simply solve all solutions

1) All TDi's sold up to such and such date are hearby grandfathered in and will not have to have any emissions changes.

2) VW pays billions in fines = to the amount that it would have taken to fix all of the cars.

This saves the consumer from getting a car that is a cluster muck and saves it from depreciation
This saves VW from lawsuits since the customer cant sue if they havent lost anything.

There was NEVER any actual definition of what clean diesel meant so technically, the TDI's still meet that "definition"

This makes the most sense since it is simple uncomplicated and makes everyone whole.

Which means it has a snowball chance in way down south to be approved.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Well then whose fault is that? The sellers who panic and cry about something that hasnt happened... The sellers who collectively work together by that same panic to kill their own resale value? How about the TDi owners who arent really TDI enthusiasts and continue to bash the car on this forum for all the world to see?

The car hasnt changed one bit.. but the owners sure have.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I still cannot understand why owners just don't continue to use (and enjoy) their cars. I certainly am. Shoot, some people will pile on another 100k miles during this nonsense, and the cars still work just the same as they did before. I just did a 60k service on a 2014 Sportwagon yesterday.... I did its 50k service in September :eek:.

I am toggling my driving back and forth, but because of my CR car, my Golf may not hit 1/2 million miles by the end of the year like I thought I would. :p

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I still cannot understand why owners just don't continue to use (and enjoy) their cars. I certainly am. <snip>
Yes, we're completely happy with our Passat, the goodwill money is just gravy. No changes coming from above (VW or EPA) would be the ideal solution from my perspective, just make VW pay a gargantuan fine and grandfather everything in.

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Well then whose fault is that? The sellers who panic and cry about something that hasnt happened... The sellers who collectively work together by that same panic to kill their own resale value? How about the TDi owners who arent really TDI enthusiasts and continue to bash the car on this forum for all the world to see?

Your right about the cars not changing - they are still great..I'm an enthusiast and love diesels, but the fact is these cars took a hit in value based on the uncertainty of the fix, which has nothing to do with customers.

Ask me how I know? I was looking to trade mine just BEFORE all this happened, on another VW in fact.. The combination of cheap gasoline prices and the cloud hanging over diesel passenger cars in general hasn't helped.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Received an email from VW, offering $1000 in the form of 50-50 split between dealer credit and prepaid credit card.

I'm in Canada.

The $1000 is in Canadian funds.

The exchange rate is 1.36 today - meaning the CAD 1000 is worth about USD740

We paid more for the cars in Canadian dollars than what our American neighbours paid for theirs in USD.

Does anyone see what's wrong with the picture?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Yeah, you need to move to the USA!:)

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
There's nothing unusual about paying more for a car in Canada, all the manufacturer's do it. There's the cost of having a Canadian head office as well as the extra burden of having to market the products & services in two languages. The volume of cars sold is minuscule compared to the U.S. market so unit prices are higher, add in the brutal sales taxes and you're paying plenty.

Incidentally, this doesn't apply just to cars.. I lived in Canada for 49 years and spent the last five years in the U.S. The reality is you make more money in the U.S., you keep more of your money due to much lower taxes, the dollar is very strong, and everything costs less.

Note I'm simply pointing out economics, I'm not looking to spark a debate about political or social differences :cool:

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I still cannot understand why owners just don't continue to use (and enjoy) their cars. I certainly am. Shoot, some people will pile on another 100k miles during this nonsense, and the cars still work just the same as they did before.
Exactly. As long as Illinois isn't federally forced somehow (or the IL-EPA doesn't get a bug in its ass) into forcing my car to receive some kind of Frankenstein surgery, this has nothing to do with me or my car. Going to enjoy it for 100's of thousands of miles! :)

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Actually the car has changed. It was sold as a clean diesel that meets pollution regulations. We now know that was a lie, massive consumer fraud among other transgressions, and as a result considerably less desirable.

Blaming owners who wish to sell for any depreciation is wrong-headed. Peoples circumstances change. We're only two and a half months into this but it appears likely that it may be a year or two before an acceptable fix is implemented (if ever). Are more than 500,000 NA owners expected to put their lives on hold until then?

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
There's nothing unusual about paying more for a car in Canada, all the manufacturer's do it. There's the cost of having a Canadian head office as well as the extra burden of having to market the products & services in two languages. The volume of cars sold is minuscule compared to the U.S. market so unit prices are higher, add in the brutal sales taxes and you're paying plenty.

Incidentally, this doesn't apply just to cars.. I lived in Canada for 49 years and spent the last five years in the U.S. The reality is you make more money in the U.S., you keep more of your money due to much lower taxes, the dollar is very strong, and everything costs less.

Note I'm simply pointing out economics, I'm not looking to spark a debate about political or social differences :cool:
Actually VW closed it's Canadian office years ago and now it is run as one operation from US. I also lived in Canada and agree on most what you said but unfortunately I have to add that Canadians are kind of suckers and will accept less because they don't like to complain. Case in point the HPFP fiasco. While US residents got their pumps replaced for free Canadians had to suck up all the losses as VW just washed its hands off. VW basically and wrongfully said "screw you Canadians you are insignificant". Also I remember few years ago when Canadian dollar was trending higher than the greenback, the prices of cars in Canada were still higher than in US. The same applied for most of other imported products.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW stock:Totaled 2000 black Golf gls 315K : retired
The insurance companies use Average Fair Market Value (FMV). The method
as I understand to come up with Avg FMV is by looking at KBB, NADA, Edmonds
and sale of cars like yours in the area.
I am fighting State farm on the value of my car, I was told that they do not use any value sites at all, they base the value on what "comparable cars sold for in your area... I have had to send in a list of other comparable cars in my area in order to attempt to get a high value declared. When I sent in my documentation the first 2 that i listed were KBB.com and NADA.com and I was told point blank We don't used those.

different insurance companies are different but at least I was told that St Farm only uses comparable cars as their basis for price.

Good luck with your car!

Swinepartner

TDI
2013 Jetta
Got my good will cards in the mail yesterday. Have 128K, so looks like a timing belt change coming up courtesy of VW in a few months. Dealer quoted me a price of $1100!! I'm not looking to trade right now, so gonna drive till it quits. Getting about 40mpg now.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
1) All TDi's sold up to such and such date are hearby grandfathered in and will not have to have any emissions changes.

2) VW pays billions in fines = to the amount that it would have taken to fix all of the cars.

This has been suggested periodically out here over the last couple of months, and I think it makes a lot of sense. I'll be pissed though if I am required to get my EA288 "de-tuned" while those with an older EA189 get a free pass due to complexity and cost.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Actually the car has changed. It was sold as a clean diesel that meets pollution regulations. We now know that was a lie, massive consumer fraud among other transgressions, and as a result considerably less desirable.
Blaming owners who wish to sell for any depreciation is wrong-headed. Peoples circumstances change. We're only two and a half months into this but it appears likely that it may be a year or two before an acceptable fix is implemented (if ever). Are more than 500,000 NA owners expected to put their lives on hold until then?
No, the car is the same. Only your perception of it has changed. Doesn't really bother me, but I tend to take a broader view of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.