Ventectomy -- New guy's first mod!

gary9696

TDI
2013 JSW DSG Red, 2010 JSW DSG Red Traded in
I guess then that I don't have a fuel vent to modify. There is an air vent that is open at the top of the fill pipe. Would there be any advantage in me removing the plastic hole/opening reducer to make it bigger when I put the diesel nozzle in? When I'm very low on fuel I can pack 15 gallons of diesel in without any overflow even though the owner manual specifies 14.5 including the "reserve".

Last edited:

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, Tornado Red (faded), 238,000 miles!
gary9696: I am not sure. I do know that my 08 F350 does have the same type of vent system as my 03 VW. It is hard to believe that a gasser version of your car would use something different then a diesel. Basically a diesel does not need the expansion portion of the fuel tank, with that said that is all the mod. does, eliminate/let you fill the expansion area and add 2 more gallons of diesel. There has to be a valve/mechanism allowing expanding vapors to escape and preventing an actual complete fillup, find that and you maybe can mod. it to allow more diesel.

Have you purchased the manuals for your car? Would like to know the answer to this. Again there is some mechanism on your car that prevents you from a full fill because IMO it will be the same setup for a gasser and a diesel. JMO.

gary9696

TDI
Maybe if I remove the plastic thing that reduces the size of the opening for the nozzle I can see more to know how to use the fuel expansion tank the way we want to. When I'm very low on fuel I can pack 15 gallons in it when it specifies 14.5 in the Owners Manual.

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
That's the thing Gary, my owners manual also says 14.5 but it is actually 16.5, that 2 gallon anomaly is the expansion area. If you can look on the outside of your fill tube (you might have to remove the fill door assy.) see if you can see a small tube running down the side, if you can at the top of that will be the "button". On mine it justs takes a torx bit to remove the door assy.

gary9696

TDI
I tried to remove that today, I used a Torx 20 bit, and couldn't figure out how to go further without risking breaking something. I don't have the Service Manuals though since I don't plan on doing enough of my DIY to justify buying those. Are there directions in here telling me how to remove the fuel door assembly? I was also planning on removing the plastic nozzle reducer thing inside the fill pipe, but that looks like it is at least next to impossible without unweilding the fill pipe from the main tank to remove the inner plastic pipe, and reducer.

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Gary: Unfortunately I do not have an answer for you. My Jetta is alot older then yours and is probably alot different. As you can see in miy signature I have 184000 miles on mine and I hope you have the same. I've averaged over 50 mpg since new. I have pics. of a single tank at 867 miles, might could have made 900 but lost confidence and filled up. I will try to answer your question. Seriously, I will try. There a couple of guys at work who have your car and I will investigate. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade and really do know what I'm looking at. I'll give it a try for you.

Semper Fi:

Karl

TDI
2002 GLS TDI
I tried to remove my vent today but stopped for fear of breaking something. How hard is it supposed to be to pull the white plastic part out? (yes I depressed the button from the bottom that is supposed to release it) Any tips on how to get it out?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Wow today I tried to "top off" like I would with my old gas car and it actually squirted diesel back out at me. That is a first! I need to figure out if my old '03 has had this done yet or not. It only took 12.5 gallons from the red line so my guess is that it hasn't been done yet.

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I need to figure out if my old '03 has had this done yet or not.
Look at the left side of the filler neck. If there is a little button there that you can depress, then the mod has not been done (you can press this button with the side of the nozzle while fueling to get the same effect as the ventectomy).

I tried to remove my vent today but stopped for fear of breaking something. How hard is it supposed to be to pull the white plastic part out?
Mine took a lot of coaxing of the tab with a small screwdriver - I was also worried about breaking something before it finally popped out.

Last edited:

gary9696

TDI
2006 and up cars are not ventable like the old cars are and don't need it. Trickle it in till full.
Thanks, I pump the diesel as slow as I can, then I give it a half dozen or so squirts til it's close to overflow, and I can pack 15 gallons in when I estimate I have about a half gallon left in the tank. Guess that's all I can do. I was hoping to be able to use the expansion tank.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The later cars are not the same and you are using it all if you fill till it is visible up in the neck and stays there. I put 15.6 gallons in my 06 one time when I did a test long ago. But 14 or 500 miles is good for every day use.

mmelbert

TDI
2003 Jetta - Midnight Blue
Look at the left side of the filler neck. If there is a little button there that you can depress, then the mod has not been done (you can press this button with the side of the nozzle while fueling to get the same effect as the ventectomy).

Mine took a lot of coaxing of the tab with a small screwdriver - I was also worried about breaking something before it finally popped out.
Just a quick addition to this since I finally did the ventectomy tonight on my 2003 TDI that I purchased new.

I found that if you push on the white tab with a medium blade straight screwdriver, AND then push out on the "vent" in the filling tube, the assembly will push out. Trying to just push the white tab did not work well for me. It was the combination of the white tab and pushing the vent out.

Another suggestion, as I sit here still smelling diesel on my hands after several washings, WEAR GLOVES!

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I found that if you push on the white tab with a medium blade straight screwdriver, AND then push out on the "vent" in the filling tube, the assembly will push out. Trying to just push the white tab did not work well for me. It was the combination of the white tab and pushing the vent out.
Glad you got it out OK. Pushing on the button is definitely important - even with that I found it tricky to remove! For anyone else who hasn't done this yet, I personally found the directions here to be clearest (and if I can follow them, anyone can):
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/vent-fuel-tank-FAQ.htm

white95v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5spd tdi 2003 jetta jw 5spd tdi
just did this wonderful mod to my 2003 JSW we got last week. that bugger was stuck. i had to read how to do it again to make sure i was not gonna break it lmao.

dashbarron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2010
Thanks, I pump the diesel as slow as I can, then I give it a half dozen or so squirts til it's close to overflow, and I can pack 15 gallons in when I estimate I have about a half gallon left in the tank. Guess that's all I can do. I was hoping to be able to use the expansion tank.
Hey Gary. Seeing as these tanks are only suppose to hold 14.5, I'm not sure you can get 15.

Not just for the TDI, but all I ever see when people keep squirting the nozzle is them racking up the ticker on the pump while putting actually little if any fuel/gas into their cars. The people who click-click to get that extra 34 cents are putting a vapor and a tsp of gas in their car while not accomplishing much.

Happy driving though :)

Last edited:

dezeljunky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI Silver 5spd
Ok, so I printed out all the pics, and the tutorial that went with them (forgot from whose site, but thanks!), and I just can't seem to get the vent to budge. I push up on the white tab, and I think it might have moved a tiny bit, but I sure can't feel it moving.... I'm assuming that I have to push the vent towards the rear of the car to get it out, yes? Any other tricks? I have splashed some fuel treatment on there in order to wet it, as noted in another post here... But still no luck. I might try to put the fuel treatment in a small spray bottle for better aim.

My fear is that it will come part way out, and then I won't be able to get it back in or all the way out. Or, I'll get it out, but not be able to get it back in.

I bought this car in May of '04 and it has 80+K miles - could it have just been in there for too long??

Still trying.....:confused:
i've tried to do this like 5 times now. damn white cylinder will not come out! i think i've broken the little tab by now even. i tried getting it wet with some additive and pushing really really hard with a screwdriver. thing ain't even budging the slightest bit. the little metal tab is all scratched and gouged up from my attempts. i'll probably try again this weekend. just wish i had more tools to make it more possible :p
Hi Guys, it's been a long time since your posts and I just tried it today on my 03 Golf. Had the same issue. I pushed too hard up on the tab and broke it too but it was still attached just no longer grabbing onto the edge. Pushed as hard as I could on the little button in the fuel neck but wouldn't budge :mad:

Finally saw someone mention using pliers for more leverage. I used bent needle nose pliers... Since the clip was no longer catching, I only had to push it out. The bent needle nose pliers helped to really push the white insert out easily. A finger is just too weak to push it out. Had to use 2 hands and push on the little button in the filler neck. Good luck

Hollyfeld

TDI
2005 Jetta MKIV
I've looked around, but haven't found and answer.

I live in New Jersey and I think it's one of the last no self serve states around. Is there any risk of letting the attendant fill up my tank after a Ventectomy? Additional risks of the diesel splashing out before it clicks off and the like?

Thanks

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS

I live in New Jersey and I think it's one of the last no self serve states around. Is there any risk of letting the attendant fill up my tank after a Ventectomy? Additional risks of the diesel splashing out before it clicks off and the like?

Thanks
The pump will shut off regardless of the mod. The mod is so you can fill the fuel filler tube to the top without holding the vent open.

I have never done this mod and fill mine to the top every time. I am in no hurry ever.

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Lefty: If you haven't done this mod you are not filling the tank like a modded one. If I let my car get very low I can put over 16 gal.s in everytime. Before the mod was 14, I consistently get over 800 miles/tank with a 51 mpg. Granted if you hold the button you can but why not remove it and move on?

white95v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5spd tdi 2003 jetta jw 5spd tdi

Thanks
i don't live there. but from what others have said. you can fill your own tank when getting diesel in these states. if it was me i would check into that.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Lefty: If you haven't done this mod you are not filling the tank like a modded one. If I let my car get very low I can put over 16 gal.s in everytime. Before the mod was 14, I consistently get over 800 miles/tank with a 51 mpg. Granted if you hold the button you can but why not remove it and move on?
I never let it get lower than when the light comes on for low fuel. With in 20 miles I always fill up and get about 15 plus gallons in it. I am getting only 48.5-51 in the summer and 44-45 in the winter. I am at High altitude also though. I fill it until there is fuel at the very top of the filler neck. Like I said I am in no hurry to fuel up. Gives me time to brag to others how good of MPG I get. I am at 240K miles now and have been filling this way since I bought the car with 86K.

aymen_a22

Veteran Member
TDI
Seat Leon SE TDi 110hp (ASV Code)
With the ventectomy will the fuel pump nozzle still automatically click off when the tank is full or do you have to keep an eye on it to make sure it does not over fill and spill out?

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
With the ventectomy will the fuel pump nozzle still automatically click off when the tank is full or do you have to keep an eye on it to make sure it does not over fill and spill out?
It's been my experience that it still automatically clicks off. The nozzle is in far past the point where the vent is, so the ventectomy doesn't prevent the back pressure that triggers the pump to stop.

Now, if you're doing a "just the tip" pour to try to get every last drop in, you're on your own, but that applies regardless of whether you do a ventectomy, too. :)

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Yes. I'm not sure how the larger truck pumps would react; it's been a while since I used one.