Ventectomy -- New guy's first mod!

paulgato

TDI
2002 Golf 1.9 tdi PD
That was easy!

Been thinking of doing this on my 2002 Golf TDi PD for a little while but the need(?)to check the accuracy of the MPG display convinced me to do it today.

(In fact I'm shortly going to get an engine re-map done - for extra fuel efficiency rather than extra power - and I've heard that after a re-map the MPG meter can become 'differently accurate', so I want to get an accurate idea of the actual fuel efficiency before the re-map so I can tell if the re-map is making the car more fuel-efficient or not. The re-mapping company give a 14 day money-back guarantee and a return to your original settings if not satisfied, but I don't want to be fooled by an innacurate trip computer into thinking the MPG has gone up. HENCE the 'need' to get rid of the 'vent' so I can fill up to the same level every time.

(BTW, the term, 'ventectomy' is really a misnomer. You are not taking out a vent; you are taking out the spring-loaded valve mechanism which CLOSES the vent when the filler cap is removed for re-fueling. The closing of that vent traps about ten litres of air at the very top of the tank, limiting the amount of fuel that can be put in there by about the same amount. Whether this 'ventectomy' has been carried out or not make no difference once the filler cap is back in place. The vent is always open then.

So, since I've just done it, I thought I'd give some clues to any others reading this.

Firstly, how to do it. These pics are excellent, and following them was easy...

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/ventectomy/

It was all very straightforward except for sliding the the white plastic cartridge out of the black plastic housing. That was hard. I would not have been able to do it by pushing it out with my fingers alone. Pushing the clip up was easy but the cartridge itself was a stiff fit in the housing. I took it carefully and used a mirror to see what was what in there. In the end I had success with a pair of side grips that allowed me to press on the round nozzle-shaped lever (the lever you would push inwards to vent the tank normally). Gentle pressure with the side grips while freeing the clip on the white plastic cartridge did the trick. Removing the nozzle-shaped lever from the cartridge and reassembling everything was very easy. In all it took me half an hour.

Secondly, to answer some in this thread who asked, "Why do it...?"

Well, the usual reason is to increase the capacity of the tank to increase range between fill-ups. Not an issue for me exactly but if you live 50 miles from the nearest petrol station then that would decrease the liklihood of having to make a special journey just to fill up, rather than being able to combine it with a grocery shop or whatever. My reason for doing it is different and specific and is stated above.

And thirdly, is is safe...?

Having read around the subject on and off for a few months I have not heard of one single person who has had a problem with it, in any climate. It is totally legitimate to ask how it can be safe to circumvent the manufacturer's 'safety system' in this way, but I consider it to be totally safe in this case (for diesels!) and let me explain why...

The worry some people express is that as the temperature rises the fuel will expand and spill out of the tank onto the road, possibly causing a motorcyclist to skid off the road on a bend and die. This expansion could theoretically happen either because the ambient temperature is higher than the temperature of the fuel as it goes into the tank, or because of the fact that the engine returns warm fuel back to the tank, gradually warming the whole tank. This is a legitimate concern of course, but since not one single person has reported any fuel spillage happening, and plenty of people have reported there being no problem, even those living in seriously hot climates, I'm not going to worry. Others have explained why this would not happen. I don't know enough to say why it doesn't but if it did ever happen I'm certain someone would have mentioned it, and nobody has.

As for why VW would put this feature (the ten litre air gap at the top of the tank) in the car for no reason, well, errm, I guess it's for the same reason that God gave men nipples. It's because there's no great reason not to. The vent (this is really a misnomer - the vent is still going to be there even after this procedure, so let me re-phrase...) The 10 litre air gap at the top of the tank is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY FOR A PETROL (GASOLINE) VEHICLE, and does NO HARM in a diesel vehicle, so it is easier to make just one kind of fuel tank and use it for both types of vehicle, rather than making specific diesel fuel tank assemblies.

OK, that's my opinion. I'm no expert but having looked into it quite thoroughly, that's what I think.

boisebiker

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 428k, 1997 Passat 230k
Have not completed the "Ventectomy" yet but I did vent my tank last night and put 15.575 gal into a 1999.5 Jetta TDI. Before I was closer to 12.5 gal per fill up, looks like the button is the next thing to go on my car.

Marksaustyn

TDI
2005.5 (new) Jetta TDI
I have a 2005.5 Jetta, will this allow the take to be overfilled?

When its cold, I'm not going to stand out there and freeze my butt off of a couple more liters!

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
After I did this mod it is interesting / funny to hear the absolutely full fuel tank try to slosh around.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Just did mine! 01 Jetta TDI!! Super easy mod and makes fueling stops WAAAAY easier since I dont have manually vent it...

Marksaustyn

TDI
2005.5 (new) Jetta TDI
Thanks 40x40, never paid too much attention to that.

but just out of curiosity, on the older models, would "ventectomy" allow the tank to overflow?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
It's been my experience that it still automatically clicks off. The nozzle is in far past the point where the vent is, so the ventectomy doesn't prevent the back pressure that triggers the pump to stop.

Now, if you're doing a "just the tip" pour to try to get every last drop in, you're on your own, but that applies regardless of whether you do a ventectomy, too. :)

So 100% if I do the ventectomy and if I am filling it all the way without trying to get every last drop in, it will stop before it spills out and will fill up that empty space that would have been used for air previously?

Bosazga

TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL MT5 black
Not sure if my car has this mod or not... How do I tell? I usually only fit about 12 gallons after fuel light comes on...

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
FWIW, (and to bump an old thread!), I've done this on 2 previous cars. I did this on my '03 wagon tonight. What a bugger getting the guts to slide out.

I had to wedge a screwdriver partly in on the tab so I could get 2 hands in to push the vent flap back while trying to slide the guts out. Still very challenging.

Still, a worthwhile mod!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I fill every tank using the slowest locking notch of the nozzle and I enjoy listening to the hissing the vent start up without having to hold the vent button.

After that I use the finger fuel mod until I can see clear fuel at the top of the neck to get the most accurate fill possible.

Last edited:

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Just curious, how much will a 2003 Golf tank gain in space after this "ventectomy" is done? I bought my Golf at the very beginning of this year, and I was looking into doing this. I rarely fill my tank, but this last fill up a few days ago the light came on (and beeped at me, still haven't gotten used to it) and I just decided to fill up to see how far I could go. Well, I stopped the pump at 13.5 gallons, cause I thought something was wrong! I even checked under the car to see if my tank was leaking at all! I read somewhere that the tank can fit 12.5 gallons (hence why I got kinda freaked out when it was going past 13 gallons). So, how much can you fit in after this procedure?

Or I guess an alternate question would be, how can I check to see if this thing's been removed by the previous owner?

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Just curious, how much will a 2003 Golf tank gain in space after this "ventectomy" is done? I bought my Golf at the very beginning of this year, and I was looking into doing this. I rarely fill my tank, but this last fill up a few days ago the light came on (and beeped at me, still haven't gotten used to it) and I just decided to fill up to see how far I could go. Well, I stopped the pump at 13.5 gallons, cause I thought something was wrong! I even checked under the car to see if my tank was leaking at all! I read somewhere that the tank can fit 12.5 gallons (hence why I got kinda freaked out when it was going past 13 gallons). So, how much can you fit in after this procedure?

Or I guess an alternate question would be, how can I check to see if this thing's been removed by the previous owner?
I have an 02, and I've put over 15 in my tank. I believe the tank is 14.9 with a 1 gallon "reserve", for a total of 15.9

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I have a recollection of just over cramming 61L (16.1USgal) into my vented 2002 Golf; my MFA was showing me running on 0miles to empty for a few minutes prior to making it to the station, so I'm assuming that was pretty close to empty-empty. And to be clear, I fill it up so that it's almost spilling out the top of the neck - I can literally see the color of the diesel right at the top there.

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I have a recollection of just over cramming 61L (16.1USgal) into my vented 2002 Golf; my MFA was showing me running on 0miles to empty for a few minutes prior to making it to the station, so I'm assuming that was pretty close to empty-empty. And to be clear, I fill it up so that it's almost spilling out the top of the neck - I can literally see the color of the diesel right at the top there.
Lol sounds like you were REALLY trying to see how much your tank would fill... good to know. So from your info, and what Gothmolly posted, it does seem that with the vented tank it's a little under 16 US gallons, or just over 16 if you really want to go overboard like you did that one time ;). So it seems like I was panicking for no reason when it was getting above 13 gallons at the station... seems par for the course for me. Good to know for next time I'm planning a road trip for how much can fit in my tank. This doesn't tell me if my tank is actually vented or not, but it doesn't really matter. Thank you!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the venting adds ~5L of capacity. Plus then whatever you want to cram into the filler neck tube.
Even before I removed the vent, I'd always push the little nubbin to allow it to vent and get as much fuel as I could in; typically worth another 60-80 minutes of driving before I have to fuel up again.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
So this is pretty awesome sounding! I had to watch a couple videos on YouTube about it because I never heard of this before.

To those who have done this. Will the diesel pump still stop automatically when the tank is full or is that something i will have to watch for so I do not spill diesel all over the ground? Any other benefits other than extra fuel in the tank?

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
The pump will switch off as it should. It will just do it when the tank is close to full rather than when short of full by a couple of gallons. The benefits are less time at the pump both because you don’t have to continue to click pump handle to fill tank and because you will have 15 gallons rather than 12 gallons in your tank when driving away.

Last edited:

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
The pump will switch off as it should. It I’ll just do it when the tank is close to full rather than when short of full by a couple of gallons. The benefits are less time at the pump both because you don’t have to continue to click pump handle to fill tank and because you will have 15 gallons rather than 12 gallons in your tank when driving away.
Sounds great to me. I’ll do this mod tomorrow. My fuel gauge gets the wrong input from my in-tank pump so it’s highly inaccurate/doesn’t work so i just go by mileage. I’m never exactly certain how much fuel is in my tank to be honest.

This way, I can fill it up the bottle neck and assume 15.9 or something it seems.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd say the pump clicks off where it normally would; but then, if you wait a bit for the bubbles to settle and then go like half-throttle on the pump filler handle/lever, you'll continue to hear a hissing of air as the air in the vent is evacuated for another gallon and a bit. Once that hissing stops, ease up even more on the handle as you're running out of air and filling the filler tube (getting very close to top).