TURBO: 2012-2014 Passat turbo failures [discussion thread]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This. Every dpf and scr equipped diesel out there has a higher turbo failure rate than the previous generations. You either don't buy or be gentle while they warm up. Heck even new gas engines do crazy warm ups compared to 10 years ago.
Yup. And it's only going to become more common when gas engines get particulate filters. Almost everything is turbocharged now.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Found below complaint filed on NHTSA website:

Date Complaint Filed: 12/11/2014
Component(s): POWER TRAIN Date of Incident: 10/04/2014
NHTSA ID Number: 10663582
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
0 Associated Documents
Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 1VWCV7A34FC...
SUMMARY:
VEHICLE LOST POWER WHILE DRIVING. SEVERAL WARNING LIGHTS APPEAR. THIS OCCURRED THREE OTHER TIMES, EVEN AFTER THEY CAR HAD BEEN IN FOR REPAIR. VARIOUS ENGINE PARTS HAVE BEEN REPLACED, SUCH THE TURBO KIT, TURBO CHARGER, GLOW PLUGS. THE LAST INCIDENT OCCURRED ON DEC 5 AFTER PICKING THE VEHICLE UP AND ASSURED THAT IT WAS FULLY REPAIRED. WHILE EXITING THE DEALERSHIP, THE CAR LOST POWER AND I WAS ALMOST T-BONED. THE DEALER CONTINUES TO REPLACE PARTS ON THE ADVICE OF THE VW REGIONAL SERVICE MANAGER. YET WE HAVE SERIOUS CONCERNS ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THE VEHICLE WHEN IN MOTION. THEY HAVE PUT MORE MILES ON IT THAN WE HAVE.

(this complaint of failed turbo is on a 2015 Passat TDI with the all new engine)
And here we go…again! It would be nice if we could track down this owner or any other 2015 owners with failures. I'm sure the current turbo failure (non discussion) thread would suffice for informational purposes.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yeah... we will roll 2015 failures into the existing thread so that everything can be tracked in one place and people can look back on historical data.

gncc600

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE DSG
Subaru has a class action against them for oil consumption on most of their models for the past 4-5 years due to faulty piston rings. I'm sure this has come up before but it sure seems like the next logical step for the turbo failures. This has to adversely affect our vehicle values in the future.

tyrntlzrdking

Banned
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Subaru has a class action against them for oil consumption on most of their models for the past 4-5 years due to faulty piston rings. I'm sure this has come up before but it sure seems like the next logical step for the turbo failures. This has to adversely affect our vehicle values in the future.
Where do I sign up? :(

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Okay, tyrntlzrdking's and psd1's impassioned posts have convinced me that the NMS Passat TDI of any vintage is doomed to premature turbo failure.

I will be selling my white 2014, canceling my order for the black 2015, as well as my pre-order on the 2016. I just can't take the stress anymore.

I have ordered appropriate skateboards for the entire family.:rolleyes::D:p

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Remember that VW is giving us what we want, VW wouldn't run the warm-up if it wasn't required by the EPA Tier II ;)
Just like the wife reminded me, as I drove the NMS off the lot I cracked a joke about how long it would stay stock vs Malone.

tyrntlzrdking

Banned
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Remember that VW is giving us what we want, VW wouldn't run the warm-up if it wasn't required by the EPA Tier II ;)
Would be nice if VW could design a turbo capable of enduring the warm up strategy they came up with to comply with the insane EPA regulations. If it cannot be done, then they need to come up with an all new system. Was hoping the new engine would have it licked.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Would be nice if VW could design a turbo capable of enduring the warm up strategy they came up with to comply with the insane EPA regulations. If it cannot be done, then they need to come up with an all new system. Was hoping the new engine would have it licked.
That would involve increased size and/or more rotating mass, which would mean more turbo lag and complaints from owners.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
its not just VW my friend drives for a living and traded in his 2002 Freightliner with a Detroit series 60 for a 2010 Volvo with a ISX. He has never lost a turbo in over a million miles on his 02..... until he bought the new truck, now he is on his 2nd turbo and gets 2mpg less.
:mad:
The bright side is he is allowed back into California where the most of his business is

gncc600

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE DSG
Okay, tyrntlzrdking's and psd1's impassioned posts have convinced me that the NMS Passat TDI of any vintage is doomed to premature turbo failure.

I will be selling my white 2014, canceling my order for the black 2015, as well as my pre-order on the 2016. I just can't take the stress anymore.

I have ordered appropriate skateboards for the entire family.:rolleyes::D:p
It is what it is. I like the car but if they can't design something more robust then don't sell them. Not everyone wants to constantly replace turbos and whatever else it destroys in the process. I'm not dumping mine either but this is getting out of hand.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Of course all this is assuming the 2015 failure is a precursor for more turbo failures. It's always possible it's a fluke, or a driver that likes to hammer his engine (wherever he lives!) when it's cold.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
This really is the bottom line. No excuse for the turbo not to meet the emissions requirements. This is a design and/or manufacturing problem.

That would involve increased size and/or more rotating mass, which would mean more turbo lag and complaints from owners.
I disagree. They can build a turbo to meet all the EPA and performance requirements. I think this is an issue of metallurgy.

Last edited:

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
"Where's the beef?" VW doesn't make the turbos...
Irrelevant who they actually outsourced the manufacturing of a specific part to. VW is ultimately responsible for the design *and* manufacturing. You think VW is going to turn that responsibility over to the supplier and sit back while turbos roll in the back door particularly for such a critical component? Hardly. You can bet they are providing meticulous oversight into the manufacturing of that part. The supplier is most likely doing exactly what VW has asked them to do.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
Its not just VW, classic scenario where EPA is a few steps ahead of current technology. Bottom line is the post injection warm-up and also regeneration needs to be done after the turbo. like I posted above, semi's down to F series trucks are all in the same boat, like this guy says when your turbo goes- shut it off!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLsDTW5Y8Ao

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Its not just VW, classic scenario where EPA is a few steps ahead of current technology. Bottom line is the post injection warm-up and also regeneration needs to be done after the turbo. like I posted above, semi's down to F series trucks are all in the same boat, like this guy says when your turbo goes- shut it off!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLsDTW5Y8Ao
Sure. No argument from me that this is more widespread than VW. But beyond current technology to solve? I don't think current technology is in any way a limiting factor. We're not trying to cure cancer here. Anyway I own a VW so I am limiting my jabs to them.

But whatever one's perspective is on any of this, it's a great opportunity for VW to take a leadership position and show off their engineering prowess to solve a problem apparently plaguing a larger market. Wouldn't you agree?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
absolutely agree, A few hundred pages back I think it was oil hammer (not 100% sure- maybe it was even a PM) was talking about electric heated cat's and DPF's, sure a larger alt and 4GA wire is required but all this fuel wasting post injecting crap would be gone :D

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Really? How much extra fuel do you think it actually uses in a minute or less?
Really? How much extra fuel do you think 100,000+ TDI Passats actually use idling for an extra minute, every day, all winter?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Really? How much extra fuel do you think 100,000+ TDI Passats actually use idling for an extra minute, every day, all winter?
Less than one hour of heat at the Pentagon.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
On a small scale it is a trivial amount, probably for both warm ups and regens. On a large scale it isn't even worth bothering about as it is miniscule compared to many, many things. IIRC my car uses .2 gal/hr or so extra when in regen above normal. That's .003 gal/min and a ten minute regen is .03 extra gallons used per regen. I would think 3 regens and many cold starts could be had for maybe a quart of fuel per tank. People waste more than this driving like an idiot. I will log this with Torque again and see what it says. I actually think it is worth it myself. I stuck my finger in the exhaust pipe and came away clean, after nearly 40k miles now.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Lets not bring politics, race, religion or sexual preferances into this please. :(
It was more about how much fuel they actually burn for heat... about 650 gallons of #2 diesel per hour when it's below freezing out. When it's above freezing, they're allowed to burn natural gas. :eek: