TURBO: 2012-2014 Passat turbo failures [discussion thread]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The turbo replacement TSB has been added as an attachment to the first post of this thread. (TSB 21-14-06)

iantryinit

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2013 Passat TDI
Yea I don't pay them for oil changes. This will be free or nothing. Will try to get ahold of VW Canada next week.
Well been 14 days in dealership so far. New turbo came in from Germany and they replaced oil pump also. Noticed lots of oil in exhaust and into catalytic converter so they have now ordered one and should be here Monday. He is also figuring will need some sensors as will be oil fouled.

And finally agreed to change oil on warranty.

iantryinit

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2013 Passat TDI
Crappy pics but that's what they sent.

[/URL][/IMG]
Trying to add pic from turbo failure.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
So a little update I just noticed (CA is no longer excluded);

Jason

Sent from my iPhone
Has the 23N5 update actually been tweaked since its release, or the "revision" simply CARB's approval for the same, unchanged update?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

TurboDieselPoint

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Revisions are shown in red, same as the word REVISION.

Far as a know the only change was regulatory approval for CARB registered vehicles.

Jason

EfinTDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG, 2014 Passat TDI DSG
Got my letters for the Kalifornia version of the updated Computer update. My car's going in tomorrow for another issue and I'll ask about the letter and update. I'll try and get before and after readings to report, although Sandy Eggo has been in the 70's for weeks now, and it may not make much difference.

EfinTDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG, 2014 Passat TDI DSG
OK day one after VW computer flash update these are some points I noted. If someone has or wants to make a list of points to note during regular start and drive, I'll note those in the future.

Time: 0600
Ambient temp: 55
High EGT1 Temp: 1125+-
CATB1S1: 715
My typical drive in the am cold is level, no hard acceleration for about 3 miles on 45mph or less side roads prior to the hwy. I let car warm for 2-3 or more min typically before getting on the road, this am was 2 min for the test.
No noticeable difference in engine response.
Highest egt1 temp on drive was under 1300.

nnydiesel

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Norther NY State. Turbo blew the 2nd week of December.
Avg start up temp teens or low 20's in December.
2013 Passat SE TDI 8,000 miles.
Exited the highway and noticed a small turbo whine. About 1 mile later turbo noise was very loud and heavy black smoke with flashing alerts on dash. Took 8 days for the dealer to get the parts but I had a loaner passat. TSB was followed and all is OK so far and we have had average start temps for January at about zero or colder. Lowest was -32.

My dealer mentioned that the warranty for the turbo system and emissions system was extended to 100K miles. Should they provide this in writing to me or is there a memo somewhere I could keep with my files?

Miles on car at failure: 8,000
Build date:
Corrective actions from dealership: Followed TSB
Outside air temps at failure: 10 degrees
Failure warning signs, if any:Not sure if it is related to the failure or cold but I did have to top up coolant. Loss of power and turbo whine. Followed by heavy black smoke from exhaust.
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Once the heavy black smoke appeared, flashing ecm warning lights.
Problems since replacement:
Repair time: 12 days
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures:Around 20 other failures.
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes.
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
Are you the original owner of the car: No. 2nd owner.
Did you baby your car or not:Yes. Previous owner also adult driven.
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Unsure.
How long is your daily commute: 16 miles each way.
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): DSG
Failed turbo part number (if known):
Replacement turbo part number (if known): 03L253056QX EXMAN TURBO
Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: Yes Completed at the time of repair.

Update: Check engine light on 1/28/15. Fault code for NOX SENSOR B1S1. Replaced sensor P/N: 03L907807AD. Dealership stated that they believe it is from the turbo failure as well and are reporting it to VW.
Updated with P/N's and new failure of the NOX Sensor.

tyrntlzrdking

Banned
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Turbo failure after software update!

Received the following message on my Turbo Failure Facebook page today:

"Jay Shurtleff: Turbo failed today. 5 days after the software update. I had no problems prior to the update."

First turbo failure after software update that I have heard of.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Received the following message on my Turbo Failure Facebook page today:

"Jay Shurtleff: Turbo failed today. 5 days after the software update. I had no problems prior to the update."

First turbo failure after software update that I have heard of.

Yep, first one that I've heard of, too. With the potential for cumulative stress and metal fatigue, he was probably on borrowed time anyway.

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG w/ Sunroof
I realize the Golf and Jetta TDI's have a slightly bigger turbo than the Passat, but surely they go through the same warmup process that our Passats do, correct? Have there been ANY reports of failures on those vehicles? If not, why/how are our turbos the only ones experiencing this problem?

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
I realize the Golf and Jetta TDI's have a slightly bigger turbo than the Passat, but surely they go through the same warmup process that our Passats do, correct? Have there been ANY reports of failures on those vehicles? If not, why/how are our turbos the only ones experiencing this problem?
I don't believe the CBEA and CJAA have the warm-up routine our CKRA's do. I suspect this is because they, unlike our Passats, don't utilize SCR, which requires heat to turn urea into ammonia in the exhaust stream. If the exhaust stream and SCR catalyst are relatively cold, the process of reducing NOx is ineffective.

Just my understanding.:)

TurboDieselPoint

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
OK day one after VW computer flash update these are some points I noted. If someone has or wants to make a list of points to note during regular start and drive, I'll note those in the future.

Time: 0600
Ambient temp: 55
High EGT1 Temp: 1125+-
CATB1S1: 715
My typical drive in the am cold is level, no hard acceleration for about 3 miles on 45mph or less side roads prior to the hwy. I let car warm for 2-3 or more min typically before getting on the road, this am was 2 min for the test.
No noticeable difference in engine response.
Highest egt1 temp on drive was under 1300.

Shouldn't this discussion be in the Flash discussion?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
They do not. The warm-up is for the SCR systems that the Golfs, Jettas, Beetles, and A3s do not have. That said, all 2015+ TDIs should do the warm-up, but I haven't driven one with a ScanGauge and cannot confirm one way or the other.

tyrntlzrdking

Banned
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
2015 Passat TDI turbo failure!

Found below complaint filed on NHTSA website:

Date Complaint Filed: 12/11/2014
Component(s): POWER TRAIN Date of Incident: 10/04/2014
NHTSA ID Number: 10663582
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
0 Associated Documents
Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 1VWCV7A34FC...
SUMMARY:
VEHICLE LOST POWER WHILE DRIVING. SEVERAL WARNING LIGHTS APPEAR. THIS OCCURRED THREE OTHER TIMES, EVEN AFTER THEY CAR HAD BEEN IN FOR REPAIR. VARIOUS ENGINE PARTS HAVE BEEN REPLACED, SUCH THE TURBO KIT, TURBO CHARGER, GLOW PLUGS. THE LAST INCIDENT OCCURRED ON DEC 5 AFTER PICKING THE VEHICLE UP AND ASSURED THAT IT WAS FULLY REPAIRED. WHILE EXITING THE DEALERSHIP, THE CAR LOST POWER AND I WAS ALMOST T-BONED. THE DEALER CONTINUES TO REPLACE PARTS ON THE ADVICE OF THE VW REGIONAL SERVICE MANAGER. YET WE HAVE SERIOUS CONCERNS ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THE VEHICLE WHEN IN MOTION. THEY HAVE PUT MORE MILES ON IT THAN WE HAVE.

(this complaint of failed turbo is on a 2015 Passat TDI with the all new engine)

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Got the flash update today and have no worries or concerns about it. In and out in about an hour WITHOUT an appointment and they even threw in a free car wash.

This was at the new dealer in town.
VW of Lees Summit (Missouri)
They have other VW dealerships in Utah and Florida, but I don't know the names or locations.

Bill

tyrntlzrdking

Banned
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Got the flash update today and have no worries or concerns about it. In and out in about an hour WITHOUT an appointment and they even threw in a free car wash.

This was at the new dealer in town.
VW of Lees Summit (Missouri)
They have other VW dealerships in Utah and Florida, but I don't know the names or locations.

Bill
Happy for you. Maybe post this in the Flash discussion?

I find it more interesting that the 2015 passat TDIs are having turbo failures.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Maybe if it is a failed 2015 turbo, that should be a new thread and new sticky to keep it separate from the 12-14 lengthy discussions?

Maybe it should be a post in the 2015 Golf and Jetta Forums too (any way to link all 3 forums?) since they will have the same TDI as the Passat and if there is a 2015 turbo failure issue, there should be some cross flow of information from the 3 forums?

I assume you can tell from the serial number above that this is a 2015?

Don

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oh I see! If I remember correctly, the 2015's turbo is even smaller than the CKRA's turbo. As for whether or not the 2015 Passat's engine is the same as the Golf, Jetta, and others, I do not know. They are all the same EA288 architecture family, but there are engine code subsets within that family (similar to how the CFFB and CKRA are in the same family, but they are not the same engine, same with the CBEA and CJAA). I suppose a quick trip to a dealership to read engine codes would confirm one way or the other.

It wouldn't surprise me *at all* if VW was blowing up new BV39s with the warm-up routine just like they blew up BV40s. Let your engines warm up for two minutes before driving, people! :)

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
It wouldn't surprise me *at all* if VW was blowing up new BV39s with the warm-up routine just like they blew up BV40s. Let your engines warm up for two minutes before driving, people! :)

This. Every dpf and scr equipped diesel out there has a higher turbo failure rate than the previous generations. You either don't buy or be gentle while they warm up. Heck even new gas engines do crazy warm ups compared to 10 years ago.