Tune at 248,xxx?

indigotdimkv

TDI
2006 mkv jetta
Hey guys, I'm new here I bought a mkv jetta, it has quite a few miles on it but according to the Carfax reports this car has been taken very good care of. The clutch, timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler were changed 20k ago I just put a new battery and did an oil change. I've been looking at the Malone stage one or 1.5 and I was just wondering if anybody has any idea if it would put too much stress on the engine. I'm taking it to VW to have them run diagnostic testing as well before I do anything but any feedback is greatly appreciated!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well taking a 20+ year old 1/4 million mile car (especially a diesel) to a Volkswagen dealer and expecting anything fruitful to come of it is probably not wise. That's probably like having a gynecologist take a look at your scrote.

Probably best to find someone that actually knows these cars. And I'd want to be certain it is in good order before trying to ask anything else out of it.

Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State | TDIClub Forums

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Right off the bat they are going to try and find anything to replace and get you for. Mostly because they know its an older car and they will try and convince you that "oh this part needs replacing because of this" blah blah. Take it to one of the trusted mechanics here.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Sometimes they don't even want to touch them as they know the cost will be high and most will not want to pay that much for an older car. I second or third the recommendation to find one of the trusted mechanics near you if you can. I had issues trying to get the dealer to do anything with my old 2003 Beetle after our trusted mechanic moved away.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Thats true. Usually only the older techs that worked on those cars would only touch them. Newer techs tend to not want to touch something that old.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I feel like I've heard the Carfax language before.

oilhammer

TDI
Carfax is a joke.... everyone in the industry knows this, and we see why every single day.

oilhammer

TDI
Problem is, people think they know, and they don't. That's the joke.

"Oh, the car has a clean Carfax".... yet the whole right side of the car has been repainted.... poorly...

indigotdimkv

TDI
2006 mkv jetta
Well the more you know I guess
Why is everyone so scared to work.on them?
Right off the bat they are going to try and find anything to replace and get you for. Mostly because they know its an older car and they will try and convince you that "oh this part needs replacing because of this" blah blah. Take it to one of the trusted mechanics here.
Oh most
[/Q
Problem is, people think they know, and they don't. That's the joke.

"Oh, the car has a clean Carfax".... yet the whole right side of the car has been repainted.... poorly...
Well taking a 20+ year old 1/4 million mile car (especially a diesel) to a Volkswagen dealer and expecting anything fruitful to come of it is probably not wise. That's probably like having a gynecologist take a look at your scrote.

Probably best to find someone that actually knows these cars. And I'd want to be certain it is in good order before trying to ask anything else out of it.

Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State | TDIClub Forums
Lmfaooooo but it does run really good clean title the front bumper has some scratches on it on the front passenger side by where the blinker is but that's it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not scared to work on them, just many don't know and use the correct parts and procedures. You can find those who will work on them but actually don't have a clue on how to do it correctly. Like the torque to yield bolts being reused and such. Most have no experience with the diesels as they weren't that common like some other vehicles. Beware of anyone who doesn't have the proper scan tools to at least read the codes properly. Common things that are the same as gassers aren't much of an issue. things particular to the tdi's seem to be.

oilhammer

TDI
It's the age... not the diesel part so much, but there might be that as well. The dealer techs get trained on new models. So anyone that works there that has been there more than 20 years has had no "formal" training on anything with an ALH under the hood, and for that matter any of the AWP, AEG, AVH, AZG, etc. engines... and to be more broad, really the whole car because both the A4 and B5 platforms were being phased out around that time.

Then, you have to bring in the age of the individual(s)... they've been jaded by 20+ years of working at a dealer. They don't want ANYTHING that is "old", or "dirty", or "rusty" so they'll just gravy grab and toss the older stuff on the less seniority folks, meaning the ones that probably know as much about an ALH car as I do about botany.

Dealers can be a really F'd up place... why I don't work at one any more, or ever again. But some of their angst I get, and understand. It isn't always a good place to work.

I laugh because at one time a good friend of mine had a REALLY nice 1987 Supra turbo... and as anyone who knows that era of Toyotas knows, those in particular were not the shop favorite to work on. And ALL of the 7M-GTE engines blew headgaskets. Pretty much a 100% failure rate... sooner or later, it was gonna happen.

Well my friend's cherry low mileage one did eventually do just that. Only by now, because the car had been a pampered rarely-driven garage queen much of its life, it was some 20 years old. The only guy at the local Toyota dealer that actually KNEW anything about those, because he had been working there when they were new, was far into his retirement slide. He was not going to do squat but PDIs, brake jobs, and fluids and filters on newer (less than five years old) cars. Friend insisted his car would get "the best" care at a Toyota dealer. It ended in disaster. First, they tried to blow him out of the water with a ridiculous estimate. Then, when (to their surprise, and dismay) he agreed, they proceeded to screw that poor car up one side and down the other... that ended up with a tow dolly ride (courtesy ME) out of there. Turns out, the "kid" they had working on it had never ever DRIVEN a 3rd gen Supra before, let alone worked on one... and then they threw him into the 10+ hour head gasket job because they didn't want him taking their gravy work.

I worked with a pair of old retirement slide guys at Lexus, too.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The phrase "clear if known" comes to mind when describing working on a MKIV ALH. These cars are fairly simple, but they're also not quite like anything else. That's why mechanics who don't know them either are lost or mess them up. And even the recommended mechanics here might not be picky enough to make sure things are exactly right when repairing these cars. Long story short, find a shop that has experience with TDIs and build a relationship with them. And my .02 is never, ever go to the dealer. My last dealer visit in my Wagon was in 2004.

But back to your original question: If the car is in good mechanical condition and working properly stock, the mileage on it shouldn't keep you from getting a tune. It'll do fine.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
One of the reasons I sold the 2003 Beetle and bought a stop sale 2015 Beetle. Had runonbeer stayed around I would have kept it. Had a lot of work done to it by him, but I am too old now to do any more than the basic services, if that.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Hey guys, I'm new here I bought a mkv jetta, it has quite a few miles on it but according to the Carfax reports this car has been taken very good care of. The clutch, timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler were changed 20k ago I just put a new battery and did an oil change. I've been looking at the Malone stage one or 1.5 and I was just wondering if anybody has any idea if it would put too much stress on the engine. I'm taking it to VW to have them run diagnostic testing as well before I do anything but any feedback is greatly appreciated!
You probably missed oilhammers inclusion of Trusted TDI mechanics by state. There is a shop in your city.