Traction Control(ASR) Need a Ginnie pig

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Ok, I've found a pump. I'll be picking it up on monday. Yay! I hope it works!

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
It should work WITHOUT wiring in the switch, Don,t forget there are 2 bleedings to do. Vehicles with ABS and ABS/EDL
Below from the Bentley CD
When at least one chamber in the brake fluid reservoir is completely empty (e.g. leaks in braking system) the hydraulic unit must be bled using the VAG 1551(or VAg-Com) scan tool in function 04, "basic setting. You can find the how to on page 01-92 on the bently CD this bleeds the ABS/ASR pistons on the control module you will be running the ABS motor and pistons each time you bleed them. this is only done on the FRONT breaks then go around and bleed the brake like you would normally would.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
picked up the pump today. Looks almost new. Here's a screenshot the part # via ekta.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Pump you have high lighted is for the MK60 cars. make sure your 01 has the same type. The change was made mid year for 01s

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
Okay, so now after 19 pages and multiple mk20s/mk60s, a bunch of different part numbers for a bunch of different years, permeatations, etc...I'm thoroughly confused. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Thom:
What part number did you use for your '03? Was it just a straight bolt-in/wire-up and you were good to go? Where did you get the part and how much was it?

Danix/TDI-Never-Die:
Would I possibly be able to convince one of you (have beer will travel) to help me out here? I'd much rather take a you-tell-me-I-turn-wrench approach, but I'm not terribly experienced with car work, so I'm not sure I want to attempt this without professional supervision. I'm in the Middletown, NY area right now, so I'm close to Danix, and could be close to some parts of NJ.

I'm probably going to wait until late summer when I get closer to the 50k mark, but I'm thinking about it now, so I figured I'd post on it.

Thanks in advance...
Jason

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
The Pump you have high lighted is for the MK60 cars. make sure your 01 has the same type. The change was made mid year for 01s

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. Mine is an '01 that falls in the grey area of Immo2 cars with a MK60 abs pump. I think I'll be the first to try this combo. Hope it works....

TDI-NEVER-DIE

Veteran Member
TDI
bora
tdinownow: Just say the word and we can get it done.. if you are around 50k you should really do the brake fluid flush, i think vw recommends every 2 years or 40k(i don't have the book with me).
It is really not that hard... a few brake lines and 3 bolts hold the abs/asr pump and controller.
Feel free to pm me for more info if you want so we don't hijack the thread..
Cheers
TDI

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
Does anyone have an idea whether part 1J0 698 517E could be put in at 2002 Jetta sedan and used as an ABS/ASR unit until the other units necessary for ESP are installed?

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Nownow, I have an 03 myself and will likely do either ASR or EDL in the spring. You're welcome to come down and we can do both cars.

blitzoid

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue '02 Golf GLS TDI
Dan - let me know when it happens. I'd love to be there to help out/watch. Adding ASR is on the top of my to-do list.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LeeM Make sure you know what you are getting into tring to retrofit the ESP into the car. ERIC checked into it decited not to do it due to all the parts that need changed and thats about the only Mode He turned away from. Not saying it can,t be done but it will be a bear to do. Adding ASR/EDL which come togeather is a plug and play Mode. There are only 4 wires to run IF you want to turn it off( with out the switch it is by default on) and only one of those runs to the ASR module.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I think Eric didnt do the EDL because he sold the car, not because he backed away from it. I'm sure the Climatronic was more work than EDL would be.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
I think Eric didnt do the EDL because he sold the car, not because he backed away from it. I'm sure the Climatronic was more work than EDL would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soon as I assemble all the parts Eric and I will be doing EDL/ESP on the Bora!

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Correction....

I did ABS/ASR/EDL... I didn't do ESP. I purchased a Mk60 ABS/ASR and bought a new ABS/ASR/EDL computer to install on the Hydro Unit.

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
After looking over the prices listed much earlier in this string, ESP is not worth pursuing at this point.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Correction....

I did ABS/ASR/EDL... I didn't do ESP. I purchased a Mk60 ABS/ASR and bought a new ABS/ASR/EDL computer to install on the Hydro Unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eric,
Next car I buy from you, I get a full day of debriefing. I'm still finding new things. I had no idea about this.
Now about that cluster...

Lee, according to the research Eric has done, ESP should only require installation of an ABS pump, master cyliner, brakebooster, and a sensor in the steering wheel (and requisite wiring) from a vehicle that ESP installed. That's about $500 plus install time (salvage yard parts).

I just need the master cylinder/bb, some warm weather, and Eric's time (the most difficult to aquire).

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought thats whats i have been saying IF you buy the ASR the unit comes with ASR/ABS/EDL ( read the back of the computer unit) all which will work plug and play when you change out the units. I have put in 6 so far and all have worked. Hope you and Kennedy Get the Bora ESP going should be a fun project. IF it proves out to be not a real PITA that might be my next mode if i can,t find a 6 speed first.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
I mistyped, I meant ESP and not EDL. I too would like to do ESP but will settle for ASR/EDL if ESP is too much work and $.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
Well, mwalters and I tried to put a mk20 pump in his 1999.5 and everything went fine, but it doesn't work! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Vag-Com recognizes the pump as an ASR unit, but no ASR. ABS works fine. We did manage to get the ABS light on when the car was first turned on after the install. Vag-Com scanned codes for the front wheel speed sensors. We erased those and they didn't come back. I'm stumped. Is it a bad pump? Controller? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sent you an email last night, but the last 1999.5 i did, the light did not work BUT the Asr/Edl Did. do the checks i sent you. I don,t believe the early 1999.5s have the light.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
If ABS works, then ASR should work. The 99.5 does not have a light for ASR in the cluster.
Take off on gravel or wet surfaces and you should feel the wheels shaking as if you were ABS braking.

When you replaced the unit, did you notice that the new one is similar but longer than the old one? If they looked identical, you may have bought the wrong thing.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
HE sent me a picture and it is the right one. It sounds like the LDR is working because he said on the snow taking off BOTH wheels were spinning. If it was stock only one wheel would spin like that. I don,t believe the 1999.5 has the light as the only one i did of that model the light did not work but the rest asr/Ldr/abs were all working. You could watch the wheels hook up. My 01 I can only tell the ASR is working by the light flashing and the way it drives. It does not shake like you are talking about. You can feel it pulling on the hard right hand turn up the hill with snow on it when i go up it.

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 Tornado Red
Ok, I can post now. I thought there was something wrong with the forum - I couldn't post, reply or PM. I wasn't logged in on this PC - DUH! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I tried what Birdman suggested - put one wheel on snow and one on dry pavement. It still felt like the one wheel was spinning, but I did move forward without much fuss. Does that mean it's working? I still do not hear the pump as I did on Zanzabar's 2000 automatic. Here's the comparison pic of the two units side-by-side (ASR unit on left):

TDI-NEVER-DIE

Veteran Member
TDI
bora
That is the correct part with a pic to prove it. You should have ASR, unless the part is bad(hope not).
You should feel the difference big time if the ASR comes on while you are driving or just messing around in a parking lot. My car is a 2000 and it does have the light that flashes when the system is activated.. i have not yet installed the switch to turn it off so it is on all the time.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Is it possible that the pump has air in it preventing it from functioning properly. Did you bleed it via vag-com properly?