TDIFest 2016 location discussion

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
TDIClub would love to go West, and we have before. All it takes is member commitment to pull one off.
I would love to come out West, Midwest, Western Canada!
Good to know. How far out are they planned? For example, is the 2016 site already decided?...Mark

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
2016 is open for proposals.

Great, is there any data on how many members show up on average, the hotel price ranges that are acceptable to the members and other data like that that would help narrow down the available resorts? Anyone that has done a fest, any info would be appreciated. Az is set up for this type of thing and labor day is before the prices triple in the winter (in the desert). It is also well before the snow that causes the prices to triple in the ski season, so it is only the holiday that will cause prices to not be the lowest, thanks for the info...Mark

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hey Mark,

I'm going to move this discussion into its own thread in the Future TDIFests forum.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Great, is there any data on how many members show up on average, the hotel price ranges that are acceptable to the members and other data like that that would help narrow down the available resorts? Anyone that has done a fest, any info would be appreciated. Az is set up for this type of thing and labor day is before the prices triple in the winter (in the desert). It is also well before the snow that causes the prices to triple in the ski season, so it is only the holiday that will cause prices to not be the lowest, thanks for the info...Mark
Ideal pricing would be $90 to $120 per night for a standard room (more for suites), depending on venue and location. Off-season resorts have a lot to offer, and booking an event with them is mutually beneficial, but don't let that recommendation deter you from searching far and wide. Conference facilities and lots of parking are must-haves, and we typically host three meal events at the hotel, so in-house catering is a plus.

The above is our "traditional" format that has proven to work very well. Other members have suggested alternative formats, but nothing has come to fruition. If you have any creative ideas, feel free to share them and we can discuss their viability.

My project this summer is to research www.bigskyresort.com for a future Fest (in addition to working on this year's Fest). :cool: :eek:

Last edited:

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Great that is what I am looking for. If you really want rock bottom prices, I could probably get 100 bucks a night at the Boulders or Carefree Inn, with the problem being the 110 degree plus heat, not to mention our version of humidity. These resorts cost several hundred bucks a night for a simple room in the cool months. We have "staycations" here in the summer where you can spend a weekend at the high end resorts for the price of a motel six. I just don't think that the members would really like the heat, but I could be wrong?...Mark

VeeDubTDI

TDI
100+ degree heat would be a deal breaker for Labor Day (for me, at least), as we spend a lot of time outside. Maybe one of these years we can get a Memorial Day mini-Fest going.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
95+ degree heat would be a deal breaker for many people, I think. Unless it's on the water and even then, I don't know...

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
100+ degree heat would be a deal breaker for Labor Day (for me, at least), as we spend a lot of time outside. Maybe one of these years we can get a Memorial Day mini-Fest going.

Yeah, I figured as much. That is why Sedona or Flagstaff would be ideal. about midway between The grand Canyon and Phoenix (Sedona, Flag is closer to the canyon). Of course I am partial to Az, but the entire west is fair game...Mark

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
One point, Memorial day is usually just as hot, without the humidity...Mark

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Yes, the Southwest U.S. is too hot on Labor Day; you need to consider the Northwest U.S./Southwest Canada. Victoria, BC might be nice

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V

So we will publish the temperature in degrees Centigrade, most Americans will have no clue it is hot. Now, our northern neighbors - well that is another story. As some capitalist said, "You can fool some of the people, ..."

Hey, just fooling with you.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Flagstaff, Sedona, Jerome, Oracle, Tombstone, anywhere.
Jon, it is a long, long way from Flagstaff/Sedona to Tombstone. Both in miles and other things.

Now, Flagstaff is close to Windslow, Az (The Eagels song) and Williams, Az/the Grand Canyon. Temperature will be very nice Aug/Sept. Then there is that most American Icon - the Mother Road! Walnut Canyon is very close and a great visit for everyone. Would be a great draw as a family destination trip.

Not sure about accommodations. Might be an issue.

As all ways, getting the near local management group is the real issue.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If accommodations "might be an issue." How can it even be considered as a venue for a TDIFest??

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I'm in San Diego and have a li'l pull with a larger hotel here.
How many rooms would be needed?
I love SD, but they say the water will run out before 2016, could be a problem. SD is only 5 hours from PHX, driving the speed limit...Mark

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I mean Colorado is a fantastic state, never gets too hot on the front range in the summer. It's relatively open, I don't know many resorts or anything, just because I don't stay at them, even the northern front range is absolutely gorgeous. Denver is a relatively small city compared to others. Just throwing my hat into the ring. If anyone wants I could do some more research when it comes to resorts and things.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I mean Colorado is a fantastic state, never gets too hot on the front range in the summer. It's relatively open, I don't know many resorts or anything, just because I don't stay at them, even the northern front range is absolutely gorgeous. Denver is a relatively small city compared to others. Just throwing my hat into the ring. If anyone wants I could do some more research when it comes to resorts and things.
I love Colorado, the entire state, with the possible exception of the entire Eastern half. Denver is beautiful in September...Mark

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I love Colorado, the entire state, with the possible exception of the entire Eastern half. Denver is beautiful in September...Mark
I lived in La Junta for a year; I said we were in the state of West Kansas.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I lived in La Junta for a year; I said we were in the state of West Kansas.

Yeah, I always say that Denver is a Plains city, high plains, but plains nonetheless. Once you leave Denver to the East, you might as well be in Kansas...Mark

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm in San Diego and have a li'l pull with a larger hotel here.
How many rooms would be needed?
200-300 room-nights. The bulk of the rooms on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with a few on either end for organizers and extended stays.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
If accommodations "might be an issue." How can it even be considered as a venue for a TDIFest??
Take a look at what I said again:

"Not sure about accommodations. Might be an issue."

I just do not know if the Flagstaff area has the right accomodations for a TDIFest. I lack the specific knowledge.

Others will know more than I do and/or the issue could be researched.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Take a look at what I said again:

"Not sure about accommodations. Might be an issue."

I just do not know if the Flagstaff area has the right accomodations for a TDIFest. I lack the specific knowledge.

Others will know more than I do and/or the issue could be researched.

I am sure that the Flagstaff area has the accomodations, but if not, there is no doubt that the Sedona area does and it is about half way between the Canyon and Phoenix, maybe 35 or 40 miles south of Flag...Mark

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
There is a large Fairfield resort on I40 in Flagstaff...Mark

BINGO! Somebody with more knowledge than me!

At least about Flagstaff -

Don't think San Diego is going to run out of water by 2016 - quite sure of that actually.

San Diego is a fantastic convention/tourist venue. Lots of large Hotels that can handle events ten or twenty times the size of TDIFest. Would need to research room pricing. Especially for the Labor/Labour Day weekend. San Diego hosts many, many such events and the local convention and visitor authority would be a superior resource for event planning. Again, who is going to do the actual work? I would do my share and a bit more. But who else has done something like this?