TDIFest 2016 location discussion

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
200-300 room-nights. The bulk of the rooms on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with a few on either end for organizers and extended stays.
So that is less than 65 to 100 rooms for each of 3 days. Is this the total at the sponsoring hotel or is it all the neighboring hotels included?

How about actual hotel charges for the Banquet, breakfast and other official events. Would need numbers for these also, if we are going to speak with the San Diego convention/visitor people.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
BINGO! Somebody with more knowledge than me!

At least about Flagstaff -

Don't think San Diego is going to run out of water by 2016 - quite sure of that actually.

San Diego is a fantastic convention/tourist venue. Lots of large Hotels that can handle events ten or twenty times the size of TDIFest. Would need to research room pricing. Especially for the Labor/Labour Day weekend. San Diego hosts many, many such events and the local convention and visitor authority would be a superior resource for event planning. Again, who is going to do the actual work? I would do my share and a bit more. But who else has done something like this?

I have no problem with San Diego, I spent 2 weeks there every summer of my youth. I would certainly support and help as much as I can, like I said it is all of 5 hours to there from here. My ex-sister-in-law lived at 24th and A street, right under the landing flight path, you could almost touch the landing gear. It is a great location and if someone wanted to take a side trip to Ensinada Mx, it is very close too. Notice that I didn't say Tijuana?...Mark

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So that is less than 65 to 100 rooms for each of 3 days. Is this the total at the sponsoring hotel or is it all the neighboring hotels included?

How about actual hotel charges for the Banquet, breakfast and other official events. Would need numbers for these also, if we are going to speak with the San Diego convention/visitor people.
We've only ever gone with one hotel. If people want to seek alternate lodging arrangements, they're welcome to do that on their own.

As for food, I'll detail all of that information in my PM to you. Expect a $5000-7500 food minimum at the host hotel in order to get use of their conference space for free and the best pricing on rooms. Three meals will cover that pretty easily.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Tahoe is also being thrown around by the Nor-Cal crew. They had the worst ski season on record this year. I see it as likely that some resort up there would take a Labor Day GTG just for the cash flow.

I'll be in touch, Lawson.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Let me know! I'm happy to help facilitate however I can.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Tahoe is also being thrown around by the Nor-Cal crew. They had the worst ski season on record this year. I see it as likely that some resort up there would take a Labor Day GTG just for the cash flow.

I love Tahoe, what a beautiful location and the weather is great at that time of year. You also have the option of losing you diesel fuel money at the gaming tables :D...Mark

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V

The northern California group has a good, active core who could put together a great TDIFest, IF they wanted to do it. Tahoe would be a wonderful venue! Reno is very close and could offer better pricing (but not the ambiance Lake Tahoe offers at 6224 feet in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Jon, it is a long, long way from Flagstaff/Sedona to Tombstone.
I'm aware that it's even further from the Vermillion Cliffs area and North Rim to Tombstone. BonJonBart and I did the vacation thing years ago when her dad lived in Glendale. We flew in on frequent flier miles, borrowed his car for the week, and just plain ran up his mileage.
So, yeah, it's a big state (compared to New England states), but "long way" is relative.

and for clarification: I meant that ANY of those areas would be to my liking, not necessarily ALL in one 'fest.

Last edited:

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I'm aware that it's even further from the Vermillion Cliffs area and North Rim to Tombstone. BonJonBart and I did the vacation thing years ago when her dad lived in Glendale. We flew in on frequent flier miles, borrowed his car for the week, and just plain ran up his mileage.
So, yeah, it's a big state (compared to New England states), but "long way" is relative.

and for clarification: I meant that ANY of those areas would be to my liking, not necessarily ALL in one 'fest.
That is one of the really cool things about AZ, You go through so many different changes in geography in a relatively short distance. In the cooler months, the Sonoran desert is just gorgeous and teams with wildlife of all kinds. If you don't like it where you are, drive an hour and things will change considerably. I have road tripped quite a bit back east and have named the states there ministates. You know what I mean if you have ever driven from Beaumont Texas to El Paso Texas or San Diego, or points further south to Yreka, in the north. I have a terrible habit of watching mile markers, and when you enter Northern California, the first one you see is 799 and you travel all but around 60 of them on your way to AZ...Mark

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
That would be a FANTASTIC location.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
What about a Green Bay, WI Fest as long as the Packers don't have a home game that weekend of Labor Day.;)

MEyres

TDI
2002 Jetta
New to club and this string but I live in Portland, OR. Lots of places, Portland International Raceway hosts the All British Field Meet on Labor Day weekend but there are tons of hotels and venues with large parking lots. Of course, there is also east end of town and tons of food carts. Wish I could help plan but I am looking at job hunting at the moment.

rtrburn

TDI
'12 Golf TDI DSG
Just and idea for other future events. Bowling Green Kentucky. Plenty of hotels and restaurants. Plus the new NCM Motorsports park road course along with Beech bend dragway.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd love to see a Fest in the Denver area. I know this was discussed last year but nothing came of it. I think Denver would be relatively inexpensive around labor day, as would Vail or Aspen, believe it or not. That's off-off season.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Just and idea for other future events. Bowling Green Kentucky. Plenty of hotels and restaurants. Plus the new NCM Motorsports park road course along with Beech bend dragway.
Just have to be careful of sinkholes!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We had a Fest in Cinci, what was it, three years ago? I didn't go in part because it was in the 90s that weekend. Not good for standing around outside.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
If the weather is an important make/break factor, that pretty much rules out the Southeast/Southwest USA as it is still very hot around the beginning of September.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I'd love to see a Fest in the Denver area. I know this was discussed last year but nothing came of it. I think Denver would be relatively inexpensive around labor day, as would Vail or Aspen, believe it or not. That's off-off season.
I like the idea of having one in Denver.

It's a great city with lots of stuff to do out there.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We had a Fest in Cinci, what was it, three years ago? I didn't go in part because it was in the 90s that weekend. Not good for standing around outside.
You mean the Ohio Fest in 2008? My oh my, how time flies... ;)

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Maybe one of these years we can get a Memorial Day mini-Fest going.
If this were to happen I'd have a much much better chance of attending.

My 9 year old (about to be 10) was born first week of September so Labor Day weekend is birthday weekend for me.

In no way trying to push, just thinking in public form.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Give him/her a birthday ski lift ride at Sunday River! :D

1heavyfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 GTI Autobahn DSG
The northern California group has a good, active core who could put together a great TDIFest, IF they wanted to do it. Tahoe would be a wonderful venue! Reno is very close and could offer better pricing (but not the ambiance Lake Tahoe offers at 6224 feet in the Sierra Nevada mountains.
Very interested in either a Lake Tahoe or San Diego TDIFest!