TDIFest 2010, the location is Portland, OR

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
BleachedBora said:
Guess I'm local--back to the PNW for us :).
I'll find a way to do the 10 minute drive. I've got the award before for longest driven to Fest, I think I've earned a short drive for once!
Cheers,
-BB
What? I think you need to clarify this for people... but probably not this thread for that...:p:rolleyes:;)

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
BleachedBora said:
I'll find a way to do the 10 minute drive. I've got the award before for longest driven to Fest, I think I've earned a short drive for once!
Cheers,
-BB
welcome back Aaron....relocated from Utah to OR. He's home. :D

xiledsavior

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS
You guys are one weekend too late for me. I can take time off work, but they tend to frown upon taking ~a week off from college... :( Not that that ruins my western roadtrip at all!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
BleachedBora said:
Cheers,
-BB
We're fighting for who is going to get it from the East.

I'm suggesting leaving from Boston and driving AROUND PeterV's house, just to rob him of his run at the award!

sqdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Lug_Nut said:
Does SeQuential have B100? I don't do B20 in the summer.

B20 is like claiming the onion rings on your steak make you a vegetarian.
Sorry for the delay! Yah we've got B99, B20, and B5. All the bio is made in Salem from used cooking oil. Willie Nelson is an investor in the production plant too!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
sqdude said:
Yah we've got B99,... made in Salem from used cooking oil.
Only 99%? Oh well.. I guess I can compromise my convictions for a tax break.:D
See you there!

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Lug_Nut said:
Only 99%? Oh well.. I guess I can compromise my convictions for a tax break.:D
See you there!
wouldn't that go against your previous theory completely then??.... that would mean it's 99% fried onions and 1% steak... you're still not a vegetarian! :eek:

Lug_Nut

TDI
More like one bacon bit on an organically grown plate of sprouts, but yeah,...
I'm sure there are also some minutely detectable levels of clam bellies and shrimp entrails in the biodiesel I buy. I don't believe transesterification and filtration will completely eliminate all traces of piscine DNA from the cooking oil...

sqdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
It's ironic that petroleum is made from 100% Organic, biodynamic, free-range, vegi-fed plants and animals grown on non-cleared forest land using zero fossil fuel input.

And our clean biofuels are usually made with GMO, fertilizer, pesticide, top-soil-eroding plants, using coal, petro, and natural gas!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
sqdude said:
It's ironic that petroleum is made from 100% Organic, biodynamic, free-range, vegi-fed plants and animals grown on non-cleared forest land using zero fossil fuel input.

And our clean biofuels are usually made with GMO, fertilizer, pesticide, top-soil-eroding plants, using coal, petro, and natural gas!
LOL. Cute. But the processing of petroleum is about as far from that description as imaginable.

I am in favor of solar thermal distillation of petroleum to end use products. I think that would be one of the most beneficial uses of renewable energy. "Low hanging fruit", so to speak.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I-90 waypoint here: Belgrade, Montana

Whether or not I make it to my first TDIfest next year, if anyone wants to stop on the way or way back we are a convenient 1 day drive to Portland. Right off of I-90, exit 298. We have a guest bedroom, an old but comfortable couch, conversion van, pop top camper, and lots of room for camping. And 2 bathrooms w/ showers. If I really get my act together I'll have the basement finished by then too. B-20 pump just down the road (summer blend should still be in). 100% BD in Belgrade and B99 in Bozeman.

We have excellent craft microbreweries with growlers available to go, best jerky anywhere, good fishing/snorkeling out back. Great Mtn. biking in the area too if you have some extra time.

Last edited:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
MTjake said:
Whether or not I make it to my first TDIfest next year, if anyone wants to stop on the way or way back we are a convenient 1 day drive to Portland. Right off of I-90, exit 298. We have a guest bedroom, an old but comfortable couch, conversion van, pop top camper, and lots of room for camping. And 2 bathrooms w/ showers. If I really get my act together I'll have the basement finished by then too. B-20 pump just down the road (summer blend should still be in). 100% BD in Belgrade and B99 in Bozeman.

We have excellent craft microbreweries with growlers available to go, best jerky anywhere, good fishing/snorkeling out back. Great Mtn. biking in the area too if you have some extra time.
wow, jake! That's awesome. I think it's great that you stepped up and offered a waypoint for some of our potential long-haul tdi'ers. Way to keep up the spirit. I personally thank you for your thought and generosity. :)
It's a great idea folks and it will help to introduce us to new people along the way!

Last edited:

chirishboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Never been to a TDI Fest, but I am very intrigued as to what it entails. I assume food, beer, TDI vendors and plenty of bull****ting with other TDIers??? Am I missing anything?

Well atleast Im sure I can hunt someone down with a VagCom out there!!

ps how do I change my status from "newbie" to member? I think I have educated myself to graduate, but this question makes me think twice =)

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
chirish... you're status changes automatically depending on how many posts you have. the more you post, the higher your "status"

and fest is all about the cars and our community. in summary you got it right, but also add in TDI related events, tech sessions, vendors, friends, fun, and more. Vag-com will definitely be present at fest.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
ChippedNotBroken said:
My wife said we can drive out, but only if Montana still has "NO DAYTIME SPEED LIMIT" :eek:
Sadly, the days of the official "reasonable and prudent" speed limit are long gone. However, I like to think that a good trooper would let a well maintained TDI with an attentive and sober driver carry on if they are being reasonable and prudent. I will warn all travelers to strictly obey the 55 mph speed limit through Billings, and to generally adhere to speed limits around towns and cities. And keep your eyes peeled for large hoofed mammals.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
chirishboy said:
Jake,
If I end up making the 3500mi round trip from TX, I may take you up on that offer!!
That would definitely be a "round" trip if you're coming from TX, but make sure to pick up my sister-in-law in Austin on your way!

You can have my vet. status. I only got there by being confusing and talking smack.

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Hmm...I was planning a 2 week road trip next summer. This may fill the bill nicely.

A few days in Chicago. I-90 through WI, MN, ND, MT, detour to Yellowstone for a few days, thence to ID, WA, and OR.

The return trip could be a more southerly route.

Now to find a co-pilot.

Last edited:

chirishboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Zippy_car said:
chirish... you're status changes automatically depending on how many posts you have. the more you post, the higher your "status"

and fest is all about the cars and our community. in summary you got it right, but also add in TDI related events, tech sessions, vendors, friends, fun, and more. Vag-com will definitely be present at fest.
Trouble Maker... so how many posts does it take to get THAT title? You just creating threads and replying to yourself??

Has anybody looked into what a ballpark cost would be to "ship" a car up there so you could just drive it back? I saw that idea mentioned and that makes things a little more manageable....

Lug_Nut

TDI
VIPpy_car? How do some people get special treatment?

<-----------
Ooops... glass house....:p

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
First time for everything

Well this is something I'm definately considering. The longest I've driven around is about 2 hours in this Passat at a time. I can get from my SoCal home to Portland in less than a tank but I'll definately need to fill before I leave. Very tempting, but way to early for me to say yes or no to going just now.

Last edited:

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Congrats Portland! I would love to join you, but the 5,256 mi round trip may be a bit far for me to drive.