TDIFest 2009 coming to Washington, DC

No Exit

Veteran Member
Not to stir up the safety issue again, but I live 4 miles from the hotel and have left my garage and front door unlocked (accidentally) and my back door wide open over night. Nothing has come up missing yet. The previous occupants did the same thing. I remember driving by and seeing their garage door open all the time. I have no qualms walking alone at night in my neighborhood. There are MUCH worse areas around DC. Lawson actually picked one of the safer and less densely populated areas. Most of the stuff around here is fairly new construction as well - not the old ghettos you find in the cities... or in various parts of other nearby counties.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
VeeDubTDI said:
I'm with you on the sports thing. The only sports I'm interested in are Motorsports (and not NASCAR).

Unfortunately, the hotel is not pet friendly. I'm sure it's a bit of an inconvenience for some people, but I wouldn't allow pets either if I just spent several million dollars on a complete renovation. :eek:
I noted your statement (above) about motorsports. I was not a NASCAR fan either until I had the opportunity to do promotional work with race teams in CART, IMSA, CORR and NASCAR. I came out of that experience with tremendous respect for the sport as well as the participants. The equipment isn't as sophisticated as some but, the teams certainly are and goodness gracious, they draw crowds, put on a show and sell sponsor product like none of the others!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
BEN721364 said:
I noted your statement (above) about motorsports. I was not a NASCAR fan either until I had the opportunity to do promotional work with race teams in CART, IMSA, CORR and NASCAR. I came out of that experience with tremendous respect for the sport as well as the participants. The equipment isn't as sophisticated as some but, the teams certainly are and goodness gracious, they draw crowds, put on a show and sell sponsor product like none of the others!
That may be the case, but I've never been able to get into it. *shrug*

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
VeeDubTDI said:
That may be the case, but I've never been able to get into it. *shrug*
Do yourself a favor and hit a couple races at Martinsville, Pocono and/or Richmond.

Is Summit Pt. still open and running?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Summit Point is still open and running. They just built a new track a couple of years ago for go-karts (?). They have a fantastic facility! :cool:

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
VeeDubTDI said:
Summit Point is still open and running. They just built a new track a couple of years ago for go-karts (?). They have a fantastic facility! :cool:
I enjoyed participating in driving schools at the Pt. as well as working SCCA and Vintage races. Is the apple orchard still there?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
BEN721364 said:
Do yourself a favor and hit a couple races at Martinsville, Pocono and/or Richmond.

Is Summit Pt. still open and running?
Substitute Dover for Pocono. It's closer and better. Pocono is probably the worst track on the NASCAR circuit to watch a race.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
Substitute Dover for Pocono. It's closer and better. Pocono is probably the worst track on the NASCAR circuit to watch a race.
I have been to Dover Twice and Pocono twice and I have to say I liked Pocono much better. Only thing is took hours to leave pocono. Could not see whole track at Dover because of banking ( sat on East side of track )

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
donDavide said:
I have been to Dover Twice and Pocono twice and I have to say I liked Pocono much better. Only thing is took hours to leave pocono. Could not see whole track at Dover because of banking ( sat on East side of track )
I like Pocono better because it presents unique challenges to drivers and crew. It 's the only three cornered track on the circuit and all are different.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
donDavide said:
I don't have that problem sitting in the top row at the start/finish line.:D

My family has had season tickets at Dover since the track opened in 1969.

I just can't take Pocono. The racing is so boring there it's mind numbing. I agree on the point from BEN about the three turns with three different bankings making the track unique, but the drivers and spectators hate the track and it will likely be gone from the circuit once the family that owns it's dad kicks the bucket.

Dover is even more unique in that it's the only one-mile track on the circuit and it's a fast concrete to boot. 170 mph on a one-mile track is awesome stuff.

Sorry for the thread diversion. This will be an awesome TDI fest. DC area is a TDI hotbed and there's a ton of things to do in the area. The organizing committee is a great group too.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
Sorry for the thread diversion. This will be an awesome TDI fest. DC area is a TDI hotbed and there's a ton of things to do in the area. The organizing committee is a great group too.
Thanks for the kind words. We hope this Fest turns out really well. :cool:

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
FEST IDEA.................I wonder the feasibility of contacting the pres Barry-O and letting Washington know about the fest and the economy of TDI's. Some kind of political press(or any press) would be great. Maybe the nearest VW dealer would be interested also. Seriously clean diesel tech is here and available now and is truly the very best option to use in the 25 year interim until we see other forms of fuel.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Great idea! I'm sure we can get some press fairly easily, especially if we have some support from car manufacturers. :cool:

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
My new condo on the Belmont Country Club is only 13 miles from the hotel. This is great. Once I start my new job I will see if I can get that weekend off. Since its a Federal Holiday, unless I am TDY I will be there.

I did not read through all 11 pages, but maybe we could get some t-shirts made from a local (VA) shop? Just an idea.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
There is even a 100% Fest collection.. Perhaps it should be displayed?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
PeterV said:
There is even a 100% Fest collection.. Perhaps it should be displayed?
There is?? Of course it should be displayed! We can put it up in the registration suite.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Not yet. I've been working on getting other things in place first. I'd like to show them some kind of agenda or schedule when I invite them.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Registration for the actual event has not opened yet. You can sign up once that happens.

Until then, you may reserve a hotel room by calling the Dulles Hyatt if you would like. Otherwise, stay tuned!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Even if you live nearby, it's fun to stay at the hotel, as there are lots of activites and parties going on the entire weekend. :D Just a thought if it's within your budget. :cool:

Marit

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle
Oh goodness, if it is in DC, I might have to steal the Beetle back...

Wait, will Tomo be there? If so, I might have to go back into hiding and skip the fest altogether. :p

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
What ever happened to you trying to pass it off as a TDI, like you did last year? :p

At least I was good and parked my gasser way in the back of the lot. :p

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Wow Tom, since when did the HHR turn into troll bait? ;)

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
VeeDubTDI said:
Wow Tom, since when did the HHR turn into troll bait? ;)
You may want to search the whole East Coast forum - you will find the answer quickly enough.... :-D