TDI jetta diesel additive to use and how often?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Search is your friend for a question before asking. Then if you have questions post them up. This has been covered over and over again here already so you should be able to find lots of info. Welcome to tdiclub! It is a wealth of info already.

If you are buying good fuel you probably don't need any. Many don't use an additive. Some do though if they think it needed. Cold weather is one good reason to stop freeze up of the fuel. I have been driving these since 2005 and tested quite a few of the popular ones in the past. Saw little to no difference and having to deal with the smelly stuff, which seems to get on everything, was a pain. Still have some sitting in the garage unused.

It is more of a personal choice if you aren't in a cold climate more often than not. Of all the threads here on it I haven't seen any need for one except in rare instances. I have never found water in my fuel and haven't had any issues other than the last cold snap we had it was frozen for a day or two. Drove the truck instead. If you want to use one just pick one of the major players and go with it. They all pretty much use and do the same thing.

Reactions: Ton

dklopper163

TDI
2012 jetta TDI wagon
Search is your friend for a question before asking. Then if you have questions post them up. This has been covered over and over again here already so you should be able to find lots of info. Welcome to tdiclub! It is a wealth of info already.

If you are buying good fuel you probably don't need any. Many don't use an additive. Some do though if they think it needed. Cold weather is one good reason to stop freeze up of the fuel. I have been driving these since 2005 and tested quite a few of the popular ones in the past. Saw little to no difference and having to deal with the smelly stuff, which seems to get on everything, was a pain. Still have some sitting in the garage unused.

It is more of a personal choice if you aren't in a cold climate more often than not. Of all the threads here on it I haven't seen any need for one except in rare instances. I have never found water in my fuel and haven't had any issues other than the last cold snap we had it was frozen for a day or two. Drove the truck instead. If you want to use one just pick one of the major players and go with it. They all pretty much use and do the same thing.
Okay thank you so much for your help I will look at those threads now.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
At least 25 pages here:

Stanadyne, Power service and Optilube were the three main players way back when I was testing them. VW had approved or recommended Stanadyne at one point. Power Service been around for a long time. Back when I tried some, Optilube was the new kid on the block.

I would shy away from anything but a commercially produced additive. There are those who suggest all kinds of things as an additive. I would leave that to the scientists though. Or at least get completely knowledgeable before trying something like that.

Last edited:

dklopper163

TDI
2012 jetta TDI wagon
Okay do you know like when you should put the additive in? Because I saw on some forms they would say every other fill up, every fill or every oil change.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I feel it is all very much an opinion. I like to do some form of in tank system cleaner at every fuel filter change. Anti-gel stuff is not really needed unless you have fuel that is out of season or you are travelling where that may happen or if you have some unusual freak cold snap where you live. All TDIs have preheated fuel filters, so fuel gelling is not much of an issue like it was on older VAG diesels (or other diesels).

Most of the threads on this subject will be anecdotal collections. Some never use any, never have any problems, some always use it, never have any problems, and everything in between. That car will have plenty of things break that won't be stopped even if the Pope himself took a leak in your fuel tank, so don't worry much about it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Okay do you know like when you should put the additive in? Because I saw on some forms they would say every other fill up, every fill or every oil change.
That too is an opinion. Some say if you don't use it all the time it is worthless. Some use it every other tank or similar methods. Some use it when changing filters. Pick your poison, so to speak. Use it whenever you want to, all the time or when you decide. No matter which you pick it won't hurt the car if you follow the instructions for using it. If your fuel has any biodiesel in it you probably could just skip it. Some states mandate some percentage bio use. Biodiesel was shown to be one of the best lubricity additives in one unofficial test done long ago. This was small percentages of biodiesel. B2 biodiesel will do just fine as an additive.

Remember though this stuff stink's pretty good, so don't get "any" on anything. It will transfer the smell everywhere it touches. I always tried to add it when I was home so I could clean up anything before it spreads.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
There is also the persistent opinion that North American diesel is inferior to EU diesel which would call for some additive for lubricity, higher Cetane, etc.
What is the current state-of-the-art opinion on the quality of diesel argument for using additives?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I use it all the time. I have a diesel tank at my house and dose it with a lubricity additivie (Opti-Lube or Stanadyne) when I have it filled. And I always add when filling at a station. Does it matter? Not sure. I've not had any fuel system problems in any of my TDIs over the years, but neither have my sons who never use additives. So as oilhammer says, it's a matter of opinion. I just feel more comfortable using it.

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5 Speed Beetle-sold, 2010 Jetta-sold 2014 Beetle
Amsoil makes a good one also. I use it in the TDI and my Dodge. Full disclosure though I am an Amsoil dealer. If anyone is interested in any products hit me up can set you up with a discount. I've gotten real paranoid about the diesel fuel though I've had 2 bad tanks in that Dodge the last 10 years that have ruined a lot of stuff. I use it in every tank our fuel here just isn't clean enough.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
I have a 2012 Jetta TDI Wagon and I was wondering how often do you need to add fuel additives and what are some good additives to use for it.
i personally like Liqui MolyLM2002 after having tried all of the above mentioned, you can use a can with every fill up

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Maybe one gallon or slightly more of "additives" during 42 years owning and driving VW diesels ...

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
I got cases of Stanadyne Extra Lubricity Formula cheap at my local Ollie's (surplus scratch and dent store) so I put it in every tank. I have my little box in the trunk of the Beetle with my gloves and the stainless steel shot glass from a bottle of Tin Cup whiskey. Every fuel up, pop the hatch, pop the fuel door, put on my gloves, give him a shot of the good stuff, fill to the top, on my way.

Is it necessary? Nah. Is it gonna hurt anything? Nope

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I use Wynns Diesel fuel treatment at every fill up. Like everyone else, dont know if it works but I never had any issues with either my 09 Jetta (270,000 + miles) or my 15 Golf (70k miles). It does make me feel better.... but this is my .02 cents.

Misesian

TDI
2003 Jetta
Diesel fuel in the US is much lower cetane than European. To combat minimal quality fuel, I use additives. I use Hot Shot Secret EDT. Use it in the semi truck too. Primrose makes one called the 5007, also a great additive. These are 1oz per 25g of fuel.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, after the "warm" welcome the OP has not commented in over a month ...... and, last visited this web site on 10/27.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
And then he proceeds to long-windedly non-answer the question with a bunch of opinions. AWESOME!
Every post on this forum about fuel additives is an opinion. I at least provided him information on what was here already as well as my opinion. Evidently they found their answer that they were looking for and that was all they needed. I also was not harsh or critical in any way. Unlike your post, which provided no information at all and was just critical of me.

ULTRAJUDE

TDI
2013 vw passat tdi 6sp
I currently use the ARHOIL oil and fuel treatment.......can't say I've noticed anything different. Also, I purchased an old hardware store that sold amsoil products and I was wondering if the products have a "shelf life". I have many containers of diesel additive, cetane booster and other amsoil products but was afraid to put them in my VW since they are from 2017 or so.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm still burning the last of my stash of Katrina age Diesel Fuel (17 years old). My old Yanmar Excavator with a 3 cylinder diesel engine seems to like it.

No shelf life ...... but, with the oil, remember to shake it as some additives in oil do settle to the bottom.

naughtysheep

TDI
2012 Golf
I had my ‘12 Golf TDI in for some service at the dealership recently. I am on a first-name basis with many of the techs and asked this same question.
All of them said “no additives” to the fuel. They said it waters down the lubricating properties of the diesel fuel that the HPFP needs in order to work properly. I was told adding anything to the fuel can actually shorten the pump life.
FWIW.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
A question regarding containers for additives. I've been using a mix of empty Lucas 5.25 fl. oz. and some 2 fl. oz bottles made by Nalgene that I bought at an REI store. I believe both of these are high density polyethylene. The smaller bottles fit OK inside a 7.62 cal ammo can but the Lucas bottles are too tall. Does anyone have a source for HDPE bottles no taller than 6 inches similar to the 2 oz bottles I have? In the meantime I've ordered some HDPE 4 oz bottles to give me a variety.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I had my ‘12 Golf TDI in for some service at the dealership recently. I am on a first-name basis with many of the techs and asked this same question.
All of them said “no additives” to the fuel. They said it waters down the lubricating properties of the diesel fuel that the HPFP needs in order to work properly. I was told adding anything to the fuel can actually shorten the pump life.
FWIW.
It is true that VW doesn't recommend additives, but I'm pretty confident that the techs don't know what they're talking about. ULSD has far less lubricity than low sulphur diesel did, which is why a lubricity additive (or a couple percent of boidiesel) is good for the fuel system. It will extend pump life, not shorten it.

S5_937

TDI
VW Jetta 1.9
The only thing I use is an anti-gel in the winter. I did some homework and a lot of additives have alcohol in them. Alcohol, as we all know, is abrasive and corrosive. Not good for fuel lines and seals.

I run additives or injector cleaners in my gassers, but I'm not willing to take that risk on my TDI which is old and probably more sensitive than it was new. Longevity is the main idea here.

Last edited:

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
I did notice faster starts with Howe's diesel fuel additive in my TDI. I know skid loaders definitely benefit from using fuel additive when it gets bitter cold. I'm curious which fuel additive is the most cost effective these days.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I did notice faster starts with Howe's diesel fuel additive in my TDI. I know skid loaders definitely benefit from using fuel additive when it gets bitter cold. I'm curious which fuel additive is the most cost effective these days.
That's odd to me because when mixed with diesel it will barely catch fire. I know that's not the same as combustion in a sealed chamber, but I still wouldn't expect an easier start.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Diesel additives cause a chemical change when it BONDS to prevent geling...most also increase centane (kinda like octane in gas, but different) which will help starting.
I use power service (white) year round for the extra lube and the fact it keeps the water in suspension, preventing a slug of water from ever reaching your fuel pump....