TCU tune, what's available?

Cyrus051

TDI
2014 Q5 3.0 TDI
Hello,
I've done a little research, but come up with mostly dead ends.
I want to tune the TCU for my 7 speed, but I've only found one person that can do it, and the running price is $1000.
A lot to pay after I paid that and a little extra for a tune. Are there any alternatives? I'd love to put that money elswhere into the
car if at all possible.
I own a 2014 Q5 with the 3.0 for reference.

Also, I found these, but they look really suspicious... https://www.diesel-performance.co.u...-2017/3-0-tdi-quattro-245ps180kw-580nm-11/#go

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
ugh................ I'll ask around. bear with me.

delmd92

TDI
2014 A6, 2014 Q5
HP Tuners has an OBD 2 module that can be programmed (MVPi2). I thought the guy that wrote the custom programming's name was Mellen, but there is a forum on the site to explore and get the contact info. I looked into it and thought it was about 1k in the end. Ended up going with DTUK programmer but really don't feel like it did very much. Others seemed to feel that it was a big help though.

Cyrus051

TDI
2014 Q5 3.0 TDI
HP Tuners has an OBD 2 module that can be programmed (MVPi2). I thought the guy that wrote the custom programming's name was Mellen, but there is a forum on the site to explore and get the contact info. I looked into it and thought it was about 1k in the end. Ended up going with DTUK programmer but really don't feel like it did very much. Others seemed to feel that it was a big help though.
Yeah, $300 for the tuner, $50 per module ($200) and then $500 for the actual tune. Kinda sucks, but maybe it's the only real option?

The description on the DTUK is so vague that it makes me really suspicious. Did it at least raise your RPM limit to 5000? There's evidence to support that that can raise HP significantly.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I have looked around. not much info out there.

here's what I found so far that have been discussed:

I would trust this vendor, they are hardcore into TDI tuning and racing them and all.

delmd92

TDI
2014 A6, 2014 Q5
Yeah, $300 for the tuner, $50 per module ($200) and then $500 for the actual tune. Kinda sucks, but maybe it's the only real option?

The description on the DTUK is so vague that it makes me really suspicious. Did it at least raise your RPM limit to 5000? There's evidence to support that that can raise HP significantly.
Guess I never tried to push it hard enough to see if the RPM limiter was higher.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
There was a user around here that was "tuning" some TCUs (he was actually re-flashing them back to pre-fix condition).
I don't know if he's still around, or if he had files for your setup, etc.
I also don't know why the OP has a 7sp! What's your transmission code?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I hear great things about Melen tuning's ZF8 tune. That should be what's in that vehicle, not the 7sp DSG? Once my A7 get's it's tune, I'll be hitting up Melen asap.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
There's also these guys who I've heard mentioned on other boards.....

Cyrus051

TDI
2014 Q5 3.0 TDI
Ok, I now realize that I was incorrect in thinking that I had a 7 speed. It is the 8, so that does open up a few more options for me. Sadly Dark Side said they won't touch my car, but judging by the feeback here I do have some options it looks like.

Also just found this. https://vastperformance.com/product...ed-transmission-tuning?variant=37943450730674
If their numbers add up, then it could be a huge benefit to have the tune.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
I tuned my Q5 TDI Transmission with the DTUK tune. It was noticible for sure. My neighbor also told me he noticed a huge difference when driving my car before and after. I also have a bigger turbo, malone tune, and some drive train inserts which help clean up the slop. With the drive train inserts and the DTUK tune, my Q5 TDI shifts like a racecar. Here is the exact model I have:

DTUK® TCU+ Gearbox Flash For: Car AUDI Q5 (8R) from 2008 to 2017 3.0 TDI quattro, 240PS/176kW, 2967 ccm

I've had mine installed/tuned for 23k miles and have never had an issue - no check engine lights or anything. All works well.

Best of luck to you!

Cyrus051

TDI
2014 Q5 3.0 TDI
I tuned my Q5 TDI Transmission with the DTUK tune. It was noticeable for sure. My neighbor also told me he noticed a huge difference when driving my car before and after. I also have a bigger turbo, Malone tune, and some drive train inserts which help clean up the slop. With the drive train inserts and the DTUK tune, my Q5 TDI shifts like a racecar. Here is the exact model I have:

DTUK® TCU+ Gearbox Flash For: Car AUDI Q5 (8R) from 2008 to 2017 3.0 TDI Quattro, 240PS/176kW, 2967 ccm

I've had mine installed/tuned for 23k miles and have never had an issue - no check engine lights or anything. All works well.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you, for the input. It's good to hear from somebody that has this. Sounds like you have a very fun Q5. If you don't mind me asking, I am curious about what you've done to the suspension? I'm also a bit curious about what you think of your turbo setup? The hybrids are tempting, but I'm pretty scared of lag in honesty.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you, for the input. It's good to hear from somebody that has this. Sounds like you have a very fun Q5. If you don't mind me asking, I am curious about what you've done to the suspension? I'm also a bit curious about what you think of your turbo setup? The hybrids are tempting, but I'm pretty scared of lag in honesty.
Thanks Cyrus - I love my Q5! It's not much lag at all. It just spools a tad later because of the larger setup. I really start to feel it pull hard around 2.3k rpms. Here is a dyno chart I made using VCDS and torque values the ECU put out. I translated the tq values from nm to ft/lbs and calculated horsepower from the torque and rpm. I generated a dyno graph with the data -- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x2TQQj5xSFO_YIHcF6f7qyqCBjIF6rrHELm6hUTbAlY/edit?usp=sharing

I also did all of the drivetrain inserts and they're amazing:

The hp and tq values should all be divided by 1.1026 to give you accurate adjusted values. So my hp and tq values are 380hp/549tq at their peak. I've recorded a 0-60 at 4.6sec. Hopefully this helps you to make a decision with future mods :) I love all my mods don't regret any of them.

Suspension: I chose to drop my q5 on vogtland springs rather than the h&r because they're only a 1.2" drop as opposed to a 1.5(I think) and they don't ride as rough. They're just a tad stiffer than stock where comfort feels like the old auto and auto feels like the old dynamic, dynamic now feels like I drive on rails. I installed the ECS rear sway bar and DANG, the difference was huge. Paired with the springs and it feels like I drive a small sedan now. I have

All in all, I love my Q5, still gets 31mpg on average per tank. I get 34 if I drive ALL freeway; these are all hand calculated of course. I hope this helps :)

Cyrus051

TDI
2014 Q5 3.0 TDI
Thanks Cyrus - I love my Q5! It's not much lag at all. It just spools a tad later because of the larger setup. I really start to feel it pull hard around 2.3k rpms. Here is a dyno chart I made using VCDS and torque values the ECU put out. I translated the tq values from nm to ft/lbs and calculated horsepower from the torque and rpm. I generated a dyno graph with the data -- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x2TQQj5xSFO_YIHcF6f7qyqCBjIF6rrHELm6hUTbAlY/edit?usp=sharing

I also did all of the drivetrain inserts and they're amazing:

The hp and tq values should all be divided by 1.1026 to give you accurate adjusted values. So my hp and tq values are 380hp/549tq at their peak. I've recorded a 0-60 at 4.6sec. Hopefully this helps you to make a decision with future mods :) I love all my mods don't regret any of them.

Suspension: I chose to drop my q5 on vogtland springs rather than the h&r because they're only a 1.2" drop as opposed to a 1.5(I think) and they don't ride as rough. They're just a tad stiffer than stock where comfort feels like the old auto and auto feels like the old dynamic, dynamic now feels like I drive on rails. I installed the ECS rear sway bar and DANG, the difference was huge. Paired with the springs and it feels like I drive a small sedan now. I have

All in all, I love my Q5, still gets 31mpg on average per tank. I get 34 if I drive ALL freeway; these are all hand calculated of course. I hope this helps :)
Wow! Thank you for putting that all together, well done! I'm not sure how accurate it is when compared to a dyno, but the figures are about what I'd expect. The low end torque loss is crazy, but judging by your 0-60 it more than makes up for it in the higher RPMS. Out of curiosity, what does your exhaust system/downpipe look like? As well as your intercooler? and the elevation your running at?

I'll have to snag some of those inserts! No reason an SUV can't handle like a car. That sounds just about right for your springs. Honestly the stock suspension is pretty stiff even on a base TDI. I wouldn't ever go more than 10 percent more than factory. I'm a little bit hesitant on a sway bar though, did you try it before or after the springs?

Hey that's not bad at all! Pretty minor tradeoff. in terms of fuel economy.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
You're welcome Cryrus! My exhaust is a 3" straight pipe with a ton of resonators on it to quiet it down. When those logs were taken, I was barely above sea level. I live ~400ft above sea level and those logs were taken just above sea level, probably within 100ft.

My intercooler is the darkside intercooler. As far as suspension, I tried the swaybar after the springs and it was super noticible - even leaving my neighborhood going ~15mph around a turn.

TurboABA, yeah those are the figures Bobby told me that it would approximately make. My "dyno" shows more but he told me the turbo should tap out at about 380hp so I did some math and if 420hp according to my dyno is actually 380hp, then 606ft/lbs is really 549ft/lbs. Here is a video of Bobby's turbo on an A6 TDI with stock fuel pump and metering valve:

Last edited:

Cyrus051

TDI
2014 Q5 3.0 TDI
You're welcome Cryrus! My exhaust is a 3" straight pipe with a ton of resonators on it to quiet it down. When those logs were taken, I was barely above sea level. I live ~400ft above sea level and those logs were taken just above sea level, probably within 100ft.

My intercooler is the darkside intercooler. As far as suspension, I tried the swaybar after the springs and it was super noticible - even leaving my neighborhood going ~15mph around a turn.

TurboABA, yeah those are the figures Bobby told me that it would approximately make. My "dyno" shows more but he told me the turbo should tap out at about 380hp so I did some math and if 420hp according to my dyno is actually 380hp, then 606ft/lbs is really 549ft/lbs. Here is a video of Bobby's turbo on an A6 TDI with stock fuel pump and metering valve:
Such a shame to drown out those throaty exhaust notes, but I bet it is noticeably louder with the 3" pipe! I wish I would've started off with bigger piping, but I'm probably going to end up doing it all twice eventualy. Sigh.. Dang you guys and your low elevation! The hight really is a killer here, I've been really afraid of dynoing my car for that reason.

You got all the good stuff! Those coolers do look nice. Sounds like they really undersised the bars on these cars. I've never driven a car that understeered so poorly.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Get a Vag-Com, take the following path, first we recode the transmission control module and then we clear your existing adaptations.
  1. [02 - Transmission]
  2. [Coding - 07]
  3. [Long Coding Helper]
  4. Select the 2nd block to flip
  5. Look for bits 4-7: "10 Model: Audi Q7 (4L) & VW Touareg (7P)"
  6. Change it to "B0 Model: Porsche Cayenne (9P)"
  7. Next: exit & [Do it].
  8. [Basic Settings - 04]
  9. Select "Resetting of all adaptation values" from the drop down.
  10. [Go!]
  11. Press accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and count out loud 3 seconds, hold.
  12. [Done, Go Back]
  13. Release the accelerator pedal.
  14. Exit, Unplug and Shut off Vehicle, Open Drivers Door.

Boom. All you need.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Get a Vag-Com, take the following path, first we recode the transmission control module and then we clear your existing adaptations.
  1. [02 - Transmission]
  2. [Coding - 07]
  3. [Long Coding Helper]
  4. Select the 2nd block to flip
  5. Look for bits 4-7: "10 Model: Audi Q7 (4L) & VW Touareg (7P)"
  6. Change it to "B0 Model: Porsche Cayenne (9P)"
  7. Next: exit & [Do it].
  8. [Basic Settings - 04]
  9. Select "Resetting of all adaptation values" from the drop down.
  10. [Go!]
  11. Press accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and count out loud 3 seconds, hold.
  12. [Done, Go Back]
  13. Release the accelerator pedal.
  14. Exit, Unplug and Shut off Vehicle, Open Drivers Door.

Boom. All you need.
I believe that is for the 7sp cars, not the ZF8

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Except that after the Em Update, all TCU programs (VW/Audi/Porsche) are revised. Best not to update if you have the opportunity. Porsche TCU’s also we’re plagued with delays and poor shifting ability after the update even with the most aggressive ECU/TCU of the 3.0l and 8spd.