Snow screen

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
Somewhere I read cut your snow screen out of your snorkel. Why ? Mine is trashed. Which causes more sand and debri to enter the air filter housing . Should I plug it or do they make a snorkel w/o the screen. Will you see any better performance with it sealed ?

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
It's not really a snow screen but it's meant for big bugs and stuff. Cut the screen out and keep decent paper air filter in the box. No performance gains at all and it'll last 100,000 miles.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
It's not really a snow screen but it's meant for big bugs and stuff. Cut the screen out
It most certainly is a snow screen. Try cutting it out then driving through powder snow - airbox can get plugged to the point the car barely runs. Happened to me in a TDI whoose PO followed advice to cut it out.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Or you could cut it out and use this filter which is designed to take the place of the snow screen.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
you can get rid of the snorkel "CAI" stuff altogether and eliminate and simplify. what i do is this:

-cut a larger hole in the bottom of the aribox - just enlarge the existing snorkel opening a bit - i enlarged mine so that it would fit the larger R32/vr6 CAI snorkel (but then i got rid of it).
- throw out the CAI ducting/snorkel stuff that goes around the battery and headlights
-done

ive monitored IATs with it setup like this and having the CAI stuff doesn't really reduce IATs much at all (at least not by any conclusively measurable amount) - except in conditions where it doesn't really matter much, like puttering around in hot weather traffic jams.

it gets enough cold air drafting up from down below the trans/wheel area. won't ever clog up with snow or have any chance of getting big gulps of water thrown in it.

you could use some foam/rags or something to block off a bit of "warm engine bay air" around the battery, but, doesn't seem to really have much affect i could measure.

your average big "CAI" cone filter in place of the stock airbox will definitely get higher IATs, but setup how i do it with the stock airbox, not at all really, not enough that you can really even measure.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
It most certainly is a snow screen. Try cutting it out then driving through powder snow - airbox can get plugged to the point the car barely runs. Happened to me in a TDI whoose PO followed advice to cut it out.
No , I wouldnt dare cut that screen out. Im talking about on the side theres a filter element thats worn out and debri is entering through the side of the small snorkle piece. I want to seal that or just get another snorkle , probably what I'll do. Is that what you calli it a snorkle? Its the plastic piece with the snow screen that fits into yourr air box

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
you can get rid of the snorkel "CAI" stuff altogether and eliminate and simplify. what i do is this:

-cut a larger hole in the bottom of the aribox - just enlarge the existing snorkel opening a bit - i enlarged mine so that it would fit the larger R32/vr6 CAI snorkel (but then i got rid of it).
- throw out the CAI ducting/snorkel stuff that goes around the battery and headlights
-done

ive monitored IATs with it setup like this and having the CAI stuff doesn't really reduce IATs much at all (at least not by any conclusively measurable amount) - except in conditions where it doesn't really matter much, like puttering around in hot weather traffic jams.

it gets enough cold air drafting up from down below the trans/wheel area. won't ever clog up with snow or have any chance of getting big gulps of water thrown in it.

you could use some foam/rags or something to block off a bit of "warm engine bay air" around the battery, but, doesn't seem to really have much affect i could measure.

your average big "CAI" cone filter in place of the stock airbox will definitely get higher IATs, but setup how i do it with the stock airbox, not at all really, not enough that you can really even measure.
Thanks!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
That happened to me as well. It was pretty unnerving not to be able to go over 1,800 rpm’s during a blizzard.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
I digress ! I misspoke. I wasnt referring to the screen , but the side panel spring loaded flap that has a small filter on it. The small side filter on the snorkle is rotted out. This allows more sand and debri to enter the the air filter box. Anyways I ordered another one to replace it .

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
It is, and its designed to let warm engine air into the air filter to thaw it. Mine did not work that way.
Im tired of that little flap on the snorkle , Im just gonna let it go and put on a YouTube video of Merle and "Working Man Blues" The black and white version..