Seat Adjustment - not working?

mag2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5spd
My drivers seat adjuster (front/back dirrection) seems to be stuck open. I went to adjust my seat back one notch and it won't lock in position. If I go all the way back it will lock, but no where else. Any thoughts on this? could the piston/slide be sticking open, can it be sprayed with WD-40 or something like that? I havn't pulled the seat, not sure how involved that would be. Thanks for any input. My wife needs to drive the car tommorrow, have to fix asap.

2000 gls tdi jetta

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
I know - the search tool is not the best. I find it gives best results when you do an advanced search, specify at least x number of replies, and constrict it to a forum(s).

mujalifah

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Red
front seat won't lock into place

I have a similar problem, except my driver's seat is not locking into place. It just rolls forward and back. Any one with ideas on how to correct that?

Thanks,

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Pull off the front trim piece and start cleaning and lubing stuff. Happened to mine last fall, pin wouldnt go back in by itself. Grease was dried on and caked, first cleaned it off and reapplied new stuff. Smooth as silk now.

tangerine11

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
The pictures in this thread totally saved my bacon! Scary incident of seat flying back while driving - just couldn't get the seat to lock - visited this thread, used some WD40, and it seems to be fine now. Thanks!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I sprayed some Wally World Carb Cleaner on the thingy in the pic above .... loosened up the device and it works fine.......... that was about 15 months ago! Still works great!

Took less than 15 seconds to free it up!........... didn't have to remove anything! Found some pocket change under there!:D

Last edited:

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
This happened to my passenger seat last winter. Remember to unplug the battery or else your ABS light will be stuck on. Pull the seat out and clean up the lock cylinder. It gets gummed up and the locking pin stays in the open position. While you're at it, clean the seat glide rail.

This happened to me just today on the driver side, I don't have time to properly fix it. I was successful at heating the lock cylinder with the seat all the way back with a heat gun. It heated up the gummy crap enough for the lock to work again, albeit temporarily, but if you're in a bind try that method.

jetta&golf

TDI
2002 Jetta & Golf
This was helpful information. Got my seat locking into position again.

I found it easiest to use a spray lubricant with a straw attachment.

Position the seat all the way back.

Spray from the outside side of the seat towards the centre of the car, through the hole in the bottom rail, which the seat slides on, in particular the hole near the seat front where the locking pin is.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Reminds me that I've got to fix the driver's seat in my blue golf. I'd recently installed heated seats, and all exited about that, and then I discover that the seat latch doesn't like to lock back down. In the interim I've been pushing the handle down as I slide the seat and it'll then lock.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
This was helpful information. Got my seat locking into position again.

I found it easiest to use a spray lubricant with a straw attachment.

Position the seat all the way back.

Spray from the outside side of the seat towards the centre of the car, through the hole in the bottom rail, which the seat slides on, in particular the hole near the seat front where the locking pin is.
Yes!!! Great suggestion, saved my bacon.

Thanks!!!