Question for ultra-commuters

993cc

Veteran Member
Ottawa ON, Canada; Paul Smith's, NY, USA; Amherst
TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon, Bought September 2009 with 60,000 Km on the clock. Died September 2013, at 142,000 km. in a collision with a moose. 2006 MklV BEW Jetta wagon Bought October 2013, 136,000 Km.
Tom:

You will find few people on this website who will tell you that a 236,000 mile Tdi is not up to the task you are considering. The larger question is how will the commute affect you.

You sound enthusiastic about the job in Jefferson, and for what I would consider to be the right reasons, so it might be worth making some compromises to pursue it. The question is, which ones?

I would urge you to take your own safety seriously. Routinely spending four hours a day behind the wheel is not dangerous by itself, but you will inevitably find yourself facing a situation where the conditions (weather, time pressure, work pressure, stress) are not ideal, but you drive anyway, because of the deadline, the social engagement, the holiday, or just wanting to GET HOME. This is when things go pear-shaped. There was a time in my life when I commuted 250 miles each way, weekly, not daily, for five years, and I consider myself lucky to have survived. There were some close calls.

I'm a small-town boy myself, and know nothing of Jefferson, and don't want to totally discount that it might truly be the social death that you imagine, but consider spending some time looking into what potential hidden diversions Jefferson might have. You could be surprised. I've lived in some pretty far removed places (Lilongwe, Malawi?) and always managed to find a routine to keep myself interested. You may need to try something new. You may surprise yourself.

I hope this hasn't sounded too preachy. It's not intended to be. It's just that it sounds like you'd really like that job, so I'd hate to see you give it up. I'd also hate to see you get hurt.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
(Lilongwe, Malawi?)
That is ironic...my current job was trying to get me to go to Malawi about 2 months ago. It didn't work out on their end, so no loss to me.

I think you bring up another great point. I might get used to the job and the driving but how will my reaction times be when I am into my third hour of driving. All very valid points.

Thank you to everyone thus far.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
but you could always use the drive time to read the paper, put on your makeup, text your friends or talk on the phone. So it might not be too bad.

okay, probably time for me to unsubscribe to this...

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
but you could always use the drive time to read the paper
I'm amazed at the number of people I see doing this. I used to sneak in front of them and brake check them. Now I get up beside them grab my phone, pretend to dial 911 and talk to a dispatcher. Then I slow down get behind them real close as if I'm reading their tag then pass them and make a whirly motion with my fingers.

They always put the paper down.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My '85 Peugeot had a more horizontal than usual steering wheel. I was told it was for drivers to rest the newspaper while in traffic. Of course that was in France where they drive around at night with city lights on only and flash headlights at intersections.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
They always put the paper down.
Till you're out of sight, no doubt. They've gotten away with it for too long. Most people won't pay attention to one close call.

Count me as voting "nay" on the commute idea. My longest commute was 65 miles a day round trip, but it was pretty much every day and it was across town at bad times and on congested roads. 35 minutes there, 45 minutes back, and those were the smooth days. I still (shudder and) remember a few 2-3 hour commutes in bad weather. Absolutely not worth it to me.

rjok

TDI
Golf/03/silver
I used to drive 110 miles one way to work for 25 years until I retired in September 2013. I think a lot of folks thought I was crazy but it worked for us. My 2003 golf TDI that I bought new has 475000 miles. I wold suggest you have a back up in case you have any mechanical issues( alternator, timing belt replacement etc) Happy motoring. Rick

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I would look at roomshare ads on Craigslist...it would be a lot cheaper, you could find one furnished, and you might not need to commit to a long lease. Heck, if you found a roomshare close enough you could buy a bike and pedal to work. Any chance you could work 4 10 hour shifts for a shorter work week? Having a roommate would make a new town suck a lot less.

Anyways, I took a job once and totally totally underestimated the commute. It was a horrible mistake. Anyways, if you are set on commuting then maybe can do a few trial runs?

Edit - This one looks promising....giggity.

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/roo/4342112059.html

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Been watching this thread with interest. Considering new jobs, the commute time is pretty high on my list of negatives. On the other hand, work in today's environment, can require some pretty large sacrifices. I read stories every day of folks with 2 or more jobs, childcare issues, underpaid, etc. that make me think I'm spoiled and have nothing to complain about. I would agree with both the personal toll it would take and safety issues. Law of averages may catch up to you (and your car). It did me and resulted in a totaled car. I love to drive but hate to commute. High density traffic is inherently more dangerous that it's ever been, IMO. Regardless, it sounds like you're very much looking forward to this new job opportunity. I'd seriously be considering any way to mitigate the commute that suits both your personal life and employer. Not an easy choice.

hutchmanhd

TDI
03 tdi
If it was me, I'd move south of Jefferson City and never look back. That is some of the most beautiful country on God's green earth. There is much more to do in Jefferson City than in the urban jungle, but I bet I have different interests than you.

Buy a 22 and spend some time in the woods......something spiritual about the MO woods.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Run like the wind.

I don't think there's any way that a hip, urbane, big-city sophisticate like you could be happy working with the kind of bumpkins who would live in Jefferson city.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
If it was me, I'd move south of Jefferson City and never look back. That is some of the most beautiful country on God's green earth. .
You made me google map it. Sure does look pretty good, at least from space. Been a long time since I have been for a walk in the woods with a 22. I am starting to look for a place to retire to but I have a lot of roots here.......

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
I service instruments from as north as NJ to NC and I use my 04 . It has 331K miles and it only needed to be towed twice , when the turbo blew and when the WP seized, both times within 20 miles from my house.

I deal with East Coast traffic , primarily DC traffic. That can be taxing to the car and driver alike

I do take care of it ,do a lot of preventive maintenance with quality parts that's the key to preventing breakdowns.
I don't even have a AAA membership ( now that I jinxed it ..:rolleyes: )

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Don't do it (the long duration commute, that is).
I had a 62 mile each way commute for decades. The work was interesting, the pay was great, the people helpful, but the time away from home... On weekends the trip was 80 minutes. In winter, well, one Tuesday I called in from the road saying I'd be late, then called again saying I'd be later, and finally called out 'sick' when I realised that at my decreasing rate of travel I'd not be there until Thursday.

I changed jobs for something closer. Pay isn't as good, benefits aren't as good, politics in the office are Machiavellian, but it's restored nearly 3 hours a day to my life.

sumtingwong1381

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI
Lately I've only averaged around 215 miles per day (including weekends), but normally my daily milage is around 250-260 per day. I (normally) average just over 90,000 per year. I am used to it, so it doesn't bother me. The difference for me is that I don't go to the same place everyday. I am in outside sales, and my territory is the state of KY and southern IN. Saying that, I get to pick where I want to go and when, so I plan my day around the areas I know, that have high traffic/construction.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's entirely different, sumtingwong1381. That's not a commute, it's driving during your work day. A friend of mine who lived in CT and worked in Manhattan used to say, "when people take two hours to get to work and finally arrive they think they've accomplished something. They haven't." You drive to see customers. The OP wouldn't start work until after the driving is done.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Considering it is a federal job, it may be a position elegible for telework, so you may only have to do that commute a couple of times a week. Maybe not at first, but once you settle in. It sounds like you really want the job. That may be worth looking into.
My commute is only 45 miles each way, but for a couple of years I was taking classes in the evening, and it was about 50 miles further away, so then I had a very long ride home after class. These cars hold up great as long as you maintain them well. Its doable but not forever.

Japy

TDI
2005 Jetta GSL TDI
get a back up car.

I've done the 125 mile round trip commute to work. I used to work super late at night. I'd wake up for class @ 7am, then goto work and not LEAVE work til 3am. Often times I'd have to take a nap at a rest stop to make it home alive.

The mileage wasn't that bad on my crappy car at the time considering it was pretty much all highway, but you definitely want to invest in a backup. Because when it goes down you'll be scrambling trying to find a way to work, and nobody is going to loan you a car for a several hundred mile trek.

You also better like your car. All of the squeaks and annoying little things about your car are gonna drive you nuts on that long trek. I used to drive home with earplugs in because my car was so loud I'd have a headache by the time I got home.

More important things to think about- make sure you have good tires. I actually picked my summer tires for the old car based on wet traction and road noise, then I got a set for winter because the snow gets crazy in Michigan.

I agree with whoever said it earlier. Try to negotiate some safety net in terms of if you don't like it after 90 days you can back out. But also consider moving half-way to the new job. That way you've only got an hour commute to work and only an hour to the playground.

I'd probably do it. I'm still young enough to manage (26)

sumtingwong1381

TDI
That's entirely different, sumtingwong1381. That's not a commute, it's driving during your work day. A friend of mine who lived in CT and worked in Manhattan used to say, "when people take two hours to get to work and finally arrive they think they've accomplished something. They haven't." You drive to see customers. The OP wouldn't start work until after the driving is done.
I apologize if you thought that I was trying to say my situation was similar. I was just trying to make the OP aware that being in the car for long periods of the day doesn't bother some people. I understand that my "commute" is different than other's, but mileage is mileage. I do not envy people that have to drive 1 mile or 130 miles to go to the same place everyday, that's why I do what I do. :)
P.S. - I like your friend's quote. It's very true.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Well after much deliberation, I don't think I am going to take it. My main reasoning: I want a life besides work and I don't want my work to define me. I would like my character do define me and if I spend 4 hours a day in a car, who knows the kind of person I might end up being.

I deeply appreciate all the input from my fellow club members. Its nice to know people have experience with this. Hopefully I can repay you with hard work for a great 2014 Fest in STL, pending its approval.

That all being said, it looks like I will be taking a new job anyway. I found one in Washington, MO (only 53 miles away) and it looks like I will be a good fit for the company. So 106 miles round trip isn't nearly as bad. I am not sure why I can't get something closer. It just is coincidental that all the jobs that appeal to me or fit my experience aren't exactly in St. Louis. Go figure. :rolleyes:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Glad you thought it through. 53 miles still isn't ideal, but it sure beats what you were considering.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Of course, I am in the opposite boat: I live in Union (near Washington), because I couldn't stand to live in STL, but have a job in Maryland Heights. I'm at 47 miles one way each day. Maybe we can wave as we pass each other, LOL!

Where in Washington? What are your hours?

MOsierraJOE

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5-Speed
I'll be making that drive to Washington every day as well once I graduate. It's not too bad of a drive. It'll be against traffic each way and shouldn't hit much traffic if you leave early enough. You won't have to deal with the sun in your eyes either. It'll be behind you both ways.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Of course, I am in the opposite boat: I live in Union (near Washington), because I couldn't stand to live in STL, but have a job in Maryland Heights. I'm at 47 miles one way each day. Maybe we can wave as we pass each other, LOL!

Where in Washington? What are your hours?
40 hours a week at a company called Parker. It is "downtown" by a VFW park. I will be involved with their pricing department. I bet there will be times when we pass each other, at least in the evenings.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Tom, a friend of mine and former co-worker (I'm retired 6 years now), has commuted 141 miles round trip for over 30 years. His wife's job is 15 minutes away.

Anyway, his 1984 Toyota Corolla was featured in the Lexington Herald newspaper a few years back with a pic of the odometer ... 412k miles on it! He later purchased a new 'O3 KIA Optima. When I retired in spring of '08, I warned him that the V6 KIA had a TB. He did not heed my warning. Well, almost exactly 3 years later, at 260,004 miles the TB broke ....... trashed the engine!:eek:

I tried to get him to replace the car with a TDI ....... ended up purchasing a Hyundai!:confused:

Anyway, my commute was 84 miles daily plus lots of travel on the job for over 33 years!

sumtingwong1381

TDI
40 hours a week at a company called Parker. It is "downtown" by a VFW park. I will be involved with their pricing department. I bet there will be times when we pass each other, at least in the evenings.
Not to derail this conversation from the commute side of things, but what do you do at Parker?

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Tom, a friend of mine and former co-worker (I'm retired 6 years now), has commuted 141 miles round trip for over 30 years. His wife's job is 15 minutes away.

Anyway, his 1984 Toyota Corolla was featured in the Lexington Herald newspaper a few years back with a pic of the odometer ... 412k miles on it! He later purchased a new 'O3 KIA Optima. When I retired in spring of '08, I warned him that the V6 KIA had a TB. He did not heed my warning. Well, almost exactly 3 years later, at 260,004 miles the TB broke ....... trashed the engine!:eek:

I tried to get him to replace the car with a TDI ....... ended up purchasing a Hyundai!:confused:

Anyway, my commute was 84 miles daily plus lots of travel on the job for over 33 years!
That would be a tough 412k miles in a Corolla. I am a fan of the cars, and am trying to get my sister into a mid-90s one, but compared to a VW they are simply an appliance.

That also explains your high mile TDI and the reason for going with diesel VWs. ;)

Last edited:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Not to derail this conversation from the commute side of things, but what do you do at Parker?
Their Sporlan division is headquartered in Wash, MO so I will work for them specifically. Exact details of the position aren't exactly hammered down as I will be in pricing and the department is smaller than, say, their engineering and sales, so I know I will have a plethora of responsibilities. In summation, I would say pricing analyst with respect to sales and marketing is the ultimate responsibility.

Fun Fact: A couple components of the A/C system on my jetta are made by Parker.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My uncle works at HTE Technologies, here in Maryland Heights. I think they deal with Parker.

Yes, the A/C drier on your car was made by them. I always think of them as being into hoses, couplings, etc.

sumtingwong1381

TDI
Nice, I worked for a Parker's oldest and largest distributor for 6-1/2 years. I now work for a competitor. Parker is a good company! Congrats on the new job!