Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

bagger

Vendor
TDI
Jetta,2002,Blue
Sorry it took so long to get back. It wasn't the cam seal it's the crank seal. Yes I've got the TB tools. I've done it three or four time already. Thanks again.

MR. Frey

TDI
2001 tdi Golf auto
rough running

I did the hammer mod twice with the car in manual mode. only got to 2.8 I went and got my inspection sticker while the light was out and the car ran rough as hell I got home and checked the codes it said high temp intermitant I cleared the code and swapped to automatic mode( for the cruise) took it out for a test run and it acted fine so I checked the IQ and it was 3.5 I have auto injectors so I think you must have to run the computer in auto mode to compensate for the smaller injectors. so looks like a chip and injectors for me.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Keep in mind your auto injection pump is designed for smaller injectors when buying the chip & injectors. I hope that fixes your problem. Not sure myself.

Did you try the software IQ adjustment? It's easier than the hammer mod.

MR. Frey

TDI
2001 tdi Golf auto
I did try but i dont have a full version so it would not save. but I could hear a differance in test mode. I think that the software code for automatic is better suited for the auto injectors. does any one else feel this way or am I huffing ethanol?
GB are You running the auto code or the manual code? which injectors do you have etc?

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
I am running manual code with stock auto injectors and pump. But I do have a 14lb flywheel which made idle rough. All I had to do was adjust the idle up to max (945RPM?) and soft code IQ a bit to get it to the sweet spot. Then my idle smoothed out.

I have not got around yet to new injectors.

One thing I'm still not to happy with is the slow shift speed to 0.658 5th to avoid grinding. I did the re-adjustment, but it made no difference. Got the recommended redline oil. I also notice 1st often grinds when downshifting. Overall my tranny is not so good. But at least I can shift it WHEN I WANT and ACTUALLY USE THE TDI TORQUE!

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
GdB, do you think its just the parts you sourced that make them grind like that or is it something else?

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
I got a brand new 0.658 5th gear set. I did not get the initial adjustment correct, and when I did the adjustment procedure it made only a slight difference. It shifts fine if I let the RPM's drop to near idle. It just takes so long, about 2 seconds. Maybe it's the combination of a 14lb flywheel and 0.658 5th.

I'm thinking it's the used tranny is just a POS.

montyypythonss

TDI
2002 jetta
alphaseinor said:
Excelent, I'll see if I can get up there to see your car!

Can you post MPG numbers later on your .658?

Alphasenior...Just did my 2nd fill up after the swap and got 45mpg. I can't keep my foot out of the accelerator:D. My 0-60 times have went from 12 sec with auto to around 10 sec with manual. Will check again once clutch has more miles on it. Been driving around 80mph. I think it would be better once I get my cruise working again. About that...I still am coded for auto but have not unhooked the trans cpu yet, is this why the cruise is not working? I assume it is because the car still thinks it is in park.

MR. Frey

TDI
2001 tdi Golf auto
GdB said:
I am running manual code with stock auto injectors and pump. But I do have a 14lb flywheel which made idle rough. All I had to do was adjust the idle up to max (945RPM?) and soft code IQ a bit to get it to the sweet spot. Then my idle smoothed out.

I have not got around yet to new injectors.
GdB did you try out auto mode? I know you dont like the cel but just cuious and what is your Injection Quantity running @?
on your shifting the fly wheel weight shouldnt make a differance I'll think on that one sounds like a pos tranny but maybe somthing else wil come to mind. is your clutch dragging do your master and slave jive? that would affect first and fifth.

montyypythonss

TDI
2002 jetta
montyypythonss said:
Alphasenior...Just did my 2nd fill up after the swap and got 45mpg. I can't keep my foot out of the accelerator:D. My 0-60 times have went from 12 sec with auto to around 10 sec with manual. Will check again once clutch has more miles on it. Been driving around 80mph. I think it would be better once I get my cruise working again. About that...I still am coded for auto but have not unhooked the trans cpu yet, is this why the cruise is not working? I assume it is because the car still thinks it is in park.
Alphaseinor...cruise works after unhooking trans cpu. now it's off to see oilhammer for a timing belt change.:)

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
The best part is... now you can't tell you are in park...

montyypythonss

TDI
2002 jetta
alphaseinor said:
Excelent, I'll see if I can get up there to see your car!

Can you post MPG numbers later on your .658?
Alphaseinor I filled up my tank (3rd fillup) after my trip to st louis, 222 miles used 4 gal= 55.5 mpg:D, not sure how consistant this will be. I drove the speed limit the whole time.

bagger

Vendor
TDI
Jetta,2002,Blue
Well, Today was the first day driving in the comute. What a joy it is to drive my little jetta again. The car worked flawlessly. One thing I did differently was I used the auto dust tin with the flex plate spacer and it works great. No noises, dripping oil, bangs, or anything. Reverse lights work. Cruise works. Just incase you didn't know I on my knees worshiping the TDi gurus who wrote this thread. I'll let you know what my millage is when I get it. Thanks again. Dave

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
MR. Frey said:
GdB did you try out auto mode? I know you dont like the cel but just cuious and what is your Injection Quantity running @?
on your shifting the fly wheel weight shouldnt make a differance I'll think on that one sounds like a pos tranny but maybe somthing else wil come to mind. is your clutch dragging do your master and slave jive? that would affect first and fifth.
MR. Frey,

Thanks! You got me interested in "master and slave jive". That sounds like some politicaly incorrect dance. Please elaborate.

I have a new throwout bearing, and I was pretty thourough in bleeding the clutch.

I never tested for clutch dragging. How to that, jack up front and make sure wheels don't spin when I push the clutch while in 5th?

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Donor car

Muah ha ha...Just bought a used O2J with OD and a Peloquin LSD (thanks DbLog)...getting ready to do this thing and have 2 questions about parts interchangeability (Yep, I used the search function with several wording combinations to no reasonably quick avail *smiley ducking behind brick wall not found in smiley opotions*).
So here they are: Found an 01 Golf parting out. 1. Hoping stuff like starter, flywheel, pedals & assoc brackets etc will go straight from the MkIV Golf into a MkIV Jetta. If nobody knows, I'll get part numbers and post results as I get them.
2. Anybody tried just using a whole engine harness assembly from a (manual) donor car instead of modifying the existing harness as discussed here?
Thanks everybody for a killer thread. I know I'll be spending a helluva lot more time here in the coming weeks as I line up the metaphorical ducks.

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
A jetta is a golf with a trunk, so yes it will work.

You would have to get the entire harness including the one for the interior to make a complete manual swap, and a bunch of other stuff... like the coolant flange, the upper radiator hose junction is different, the coolant crossover tube is different, the power steering line is different, etc...

Last edited:

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
1. Golf=Jetta-(a bit of A$$)
(The front end stuff is all the same or compatible.)

2. Don't even think of swaping a harness. It will be way more work. It is really simple to do the mods...

A_Shifter said:
Muah ha ha...Just bought a used O2J with OD and a Peloquin LSD (thanks DbLog)...getting ready to do this thing and have 2 questions about parts interchangeability (Yep, I used the search function with several wording combinations to no reasonably quick avail *smiley ducking behind brick wall not found in smiley opotions*).
So here they are: Found an 01 Golf parting out. 1. Hoping stuff like starter, flywheel, pedals & assoc brackets etc will go straight from the MkIV Golf into a MkIV Jetta. If nobody knows, I'll get part numbers and post results as I get them.
2. Anybody tried just using a whole engine harness assembly from a (manual) donor car instead of modifying the existing harness as discussed here?
Thanks everybody for a killer thread. I know I'll be spending a helluva lot more time here in the coming weeks as I line up the metaphorical ducks.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
A_Shifter said:
You can use harness from manual TDI but, as GdB said too much work and alot of things will needed to be add on. Just modify your old harness, quicker and easier. If you have time you can completely take whole wirining harness apart and remove unnessary wires out, then taped over with black friction tape. When done with swap and wiring your car will look like it came 5speed from factory, for average joi who don't whats supposed to be under hood.

kleinergti1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99.5,00,01 etc etc
Just completed a 5spd swap yesterday using info from this post. The only problem we are having right now is when we first started the car i checked the iq on the vag com which was at 4.8-5 and now i cannot get it to go past 1.4-1.8--value is 32686 stored in vagcom. question is how would the iq change just by doing a trans swap.

any help appreciated.

alphaseinor

TDI
The programming is different between the automatic and manual codings in the ECU. you should try raising the adapted value instead of dropping it. I usually like mine above 2 and below 5... my personal value of choice for no smoke and lots of power is 4.0.

worst case you can do a hammer mod.

kleinergti1

TDI
99.5,00,01 etc etc
alphaseinor said:
The programming is different between the automatic and manual codings in the ECU. you should try raising the adapted value instead of dropping it. I usually like mine above 2 and below 5... my personal value of choice for no smoke and lots of power is 4.0.

worst case you can do a hammer mod.
i did try raising the number and that just made it worst but not sure if it was coded auto or manual when i did that so i will have to check that out this week sometime--otherwise it drives and works great.

TN2002tdi

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI, 6-speed manual
I'm starting my swap next weekend and I think I have all of the parts with the exception of the metal flange/ gasket that goes between the engine and trans. Does any one have a spare one they would like to sell or maybe trade? I ended up with a few spares while junkyard digging.

kleinergti1

TDI
99.5,00,01 etc etc
kleinergti1 said:
i did try raising the number and that just made it worst but not sure if it was coded auto or manual when i did that so i will have to check that out this week sometime--otherwise it drives and works great.
still no luck figuring this out yet. iq is in the 1.x still. weird thing is when i was done i checked his timing in the vagcom at around 82 so i thougt well i will get that set about in the 60's then the iq problem was noticed. i am not sure it was there when the timing was in the 80"s

any opions would be appreciated.
thanks

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
TN2002tdi said:
I'm starting my swap next weekend and I think I have all of the parts with the exception of the metal flange/ gasket that goes between the engine and trans. Does any one have a spare one they would like to sell or maybe trade? I ended up with a few spares while junkyard digging.
I got one from manual and one from auto, if you interested PM me.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
kleinergti1 said:
still no luck figuring this out yet. iq is in the 1.x still. weird thing is when i was done i checked his timing in the vagcom at around 82 so i thougt well i will get that set about in the 60's then the iq problem was noticed. i am not sure it was there when the timing was in the 80"s

any opions would be appreciated.
thanks
Give me a call sometime after 3pm and I will try help you with the IQ & coding.

JoeV

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01 Silver
I have an 01 Jetta and purchased a 03 Golf trans, every other part came from a 99 Jetta, except the hardware which I purchased from impex. I've read this thread and the instructions numerous times, but I cannot seem to locate the reply that had the Starter Bolt sizes.

I was unable to obtain the starter bolts from the 99 and need to buy some. Also, is the shift linkage from the 99 compat with the 03 gearbox? If I wasn't on medication and this stuff wasn't buried I'd dig it out and look.

alphaseinor

TDI
the shift linkage from the 99 will be incompatible with an '03 most likely the shift linkage change was sometime in 00, however I have seen one or two 99's (not just TDI) with the silver counterweight.

The bolts are just standard size bolts for the starter... I think the manual ones are a little different, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
The manual bolts are alot shorter then auto ones. I will look at bolts packaging and post part number of bolts later tonight.

MR. Frey

TDI
2001 tdi Golf auto
1.auto bolts will work cut them shorter

2.I believe the the auto map needs to be used with auto injectors

3.has anybody thought about the supplemental glow plug heaters in the manual?I know not in Texas

4. will a manual ecu correct the auto cruise control problem?