Poll - what's your favorite mk4/A4 body style?

What's your favorite mk4/A4 body style?

• Golf

• Jetta

• New Beetle

• Jetta Wagon

• 2 Door Golf

Results are only viewable after voting.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, the Jettas got the fragile "looks cool but if your passenger isn't careful they break" dash vents, while the Golf just got "regular and gets the job done without breaking" dash vents.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Yeah, the Jettas got the fragile "looks cool but if your passenger isn't careful they break" dash vents, while the Golf just got "regular and gets the job done without breaking" dash vents.
They are fragile but not too bad. Not sure how people are breaking them unless they are taking them in/out a lot. The mechanism for functionality is pretty simple. That being said, I pulled a couple sets from a junkyard. There were only a few vents that weren't trashed so I don't know what people are doing. I like the flat style better aesthetically but yeah the original ones are probably more robust

oilhammer

TDI
No idea what people do, either, but I have seen LOTS of them broken over the years. Passats, too, which have the same deal. The Golf ones don't seem to ever break. However, it may just be that nobody is messing with them, because they are not temped by the "ooh, isn't this neat!" factor.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Jetta is not a good car for an adult to spend a many-mile trip in the back seat. I don't know if the Golf or Beetle are any better. Can't lay down in any comfort. They are pretty much a 2-seater car except for short trips.

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Golf is great for a commuter or for long road trips with 2 people. Mine gets fantastic fuel economy, too.

But there are days where having a wagon is that much nicer for hauling a LOT more stuff and having the nice flat floor loading space instead of the lip the Golf has. So, really depends on what exactly you're needing to do.

I like the Beetles for the monster head room for my long torso, at least the models without a sun roof. Not nearly as practical as any of the other bodystyles, but they're the lightest weight and pretty fun to drive on curvy roads.

The other advantage the Jetta wagon has is quite possibly the best outward visibility from all angles out of any car I've ever driven. The pillars aren't very large anywhere, where the Golf and Beetle have rather large blind spots.

Stupendous60

Veteran Member
TDI
Weighing in... New Beetle x 4. The fact that most people aren't "fond" of them makes me like them even more. Funny though, I have four not because I absolutely love New Beetles, but the last three that "found" me were Silver ALH/manuals. Had they been a Golf/Jetta etc and the prices/engine/trans been the same, I would have bought them regardless. Having said that, I prefer the NB.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
They all win IMO:
Wagon - most badassed
Jetta - most sexy
golf - most *****in'
NB - most inspiring!
Originally wanted my Wife to get a NB because I think they just look so damned cool.
She doesn't like them.
Then I realized a Wagon would be much more practical as a second car.
Then she wanted a Golf.
Then she found a Jetta and put her foot down. :sigh: The rest is history.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
No idea what people do, either, but I have seen LOTS of them broken over the years. Passats, too, which have the same deal. The Golf ones don't seem to ever break. However, it may just be that nobody is messing with them, because they are not temped by the "ooh, isn't this neat!" factor.
Have you guys never had clueless passengers before? Trying to adjust the vents by forcing the actual fins... Trying to open the door by picking at the door lock knob... Come to think of it, I'm lucky no one ever tried yanking the glove box open.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Jetta is not a good car for an adult to spend a many mile trip in the back seat. I don't know if the Golf or Beetle are any better. Can't lay down in any comfort. They are pretty much a 2 seater car except for short trips.
Honestly, I think all mk4's are 2 seaters on long trips. In fact, I have the rear seat cushions permanently removed on my 2002, and soon to be on my 2000, because my dog is usually in the back, along with whatever cargo I'm carrying.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
With my rear bench out, the rare occasion when I have more than 2 in the car, the rear seat backs go back up. I've left the seat belts all intact. Put the blanket down and the extra passenger can sit comfortably enough and have a legal seat belt.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Dash vents- Back when I let my daughter use my Jetta, she had a friend who would put her feet up on the dash. Broken vents, stupid teenagers.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I've had 4 of the 5 (no 4dr golf). 98 Beetle, 00 Golf 2.slo, 00 tropic orange GTI VR6, 03 Wagon TDI and 04 sedan. I'd rank them, Jetta sedan then Beetle, with a tie for third with the 2 dr Golf and Wagon. 4dr Golf is unattractive

oilhammer

TDI
The pros/cons of the 2dr vs. 4dr Golf is always on my mind, having both.

4dr pros: shorter doors means less room needed when parked close, and it is far easier (obviously) to get humans in/out of the back seat, but also far easier to get a bag or item in/out with the rear doors. It also holds the shoulder belt slightly further off my chest due to the B-pillar being closer to the front of the car, and it is easier to reach back and grab said belt to buckle it. The body also seems to be less "flexy" over uneven surfaces, and doesn't creak at the door attachment points in the cold like the 2dr can (despite the 2drs having an extra alignment tab in the door bottom). The front windows also don't wear the slides and "rack" as much over time, and I suppose the crappy VAG power window regs would be less stressed, too. Also, you can crack the driver door window an inch, and the right rear window an inch, and have awesome ventilation with little wind noise (farts get whirlwinded right out of the car at faster than the speed of smell.... which is important).

4dr con: (singular, only one), the B-pillar placement means I have a blockage of sideview directly to my left.

2dr pros: better side view to the left, as well as a nicer "window down arm out" in nice weather cruising ability. Easier to get in and out of, as I am not wrapping myself past the B-pillar. Subjective, but the 2dr does look a bit sportier although they both have the same silhouette at the roofline. Less likely to be asked to drive a group of people anywhere :D

2dr con: seat belt is hard to reach, and it constantly pulls on my shoulder. Door hinges, window tracks, etc. all seem to be taxed with the extra weight and are not build with any extra robustness. More body flex, noticed more in the cold. Door length means parking it tight spaces can be a pain, and if the wind catches that door, watch out! Back seat access limited, and requires front person to not be there. Not as much ventilation, so fart mitigation is hindered.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hadnt thought about the fart factor before. But when I had my 02 GTi, I did wish the back windows would pop open at the rear, like my dad's old Opal did.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The pros/cons of the 2dr vs. 4dr Golf is always on my mind, having both.

4dr pros: shorter doors means less room needed when parked close, and it is far easier (obviously) to get humans in/out of the back seat, but also far easier to get a bag or item in/out with the rear doors. It also holds the shoulder belt slightly further off my chest due to the B-pillar being closer to the front of the car, and it is easier to reach back and grab said belt to buckle it. The body also seems to be less "flexy" over uneven surfaces, and doesn't creak at the door attachment points in the cold like the 2dr can (despite the 2drs having an extra alignment tab in the door bottom). The front windows also don't wear the slides and "rack" as much over time, and I suppose the crappy VAG power window regs would be less stressed, too. Also, you can crack the driver door window an inch, and the right rear window an inch, and have awesome ventilation with little wind noise (farts get whirlwinded right out of the car at faster than the speed of smell.... which is important).

4dr con: (singular, only one), the B-pillar placement means I have a blockage of sideview directly to my left.

2dr pros: better side view to the left, as well as a nicer "window down arm out" in nice weather cruising ability. Easier to get in and out of, as I am not wrapping myself past the B-pillar. Subjective, but the 2dr does look a bit sportier although they both have the same silhouette at the roofline. Less likely to be asked to drive a group of people anywhere :D

2dr con: seat belt is hard to reach, and it constantly pulls on my shoulder. Door hinges, window tracks, etc. all seem to be taxed with the extra weight and are not build with any extra robustness. More body flex, noticed more in the cold. Door length means parking it tight spaces can be a pain, and if the wind catches that door, watch out! Back seat access limited, and requires front person to not be there. Not as much ventilation, so fart mitigation is hindered.
You need one built like that Audi A3 that showed up a while ago. 2dr on drivers side, 4dr on passenger side. Modern AMC pacer-ish.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Leave it to Matt to brag again about his long torso.... :cautious:

;)
Hah, some days I wish it weren't so dang long! Would make fitting into some very interesting cars a lot easier... or even some normal cars.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Hah, some days I wish it weren't so dang long! Would make fitting into some very interesting cars a lot easier... or even some normal cars.
I feel your pain. I'm 6'4", but legroom isn't a problem on these cars. Amazingly, I fit into the Golf good, despite maybe having 1-2" tops of clearance if I sit up straight. Not a problem in the New Beetle, but there are so many reasons that will never be a desired body style.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I currently have both a Golf and a Jetta Wagon. Have owned (and loved) a 2-door Golf, and briefly owned a Jetta Sedan. I like the Golf a lot for many of the reasons oilhammer lists (although I don't tow with it) but the extra cargo room in the Wagon has been awfully handy over the years, and I don't think there's any penalty in driving dynamics. Wagon for sure.

And oilhammer, I changed the dash vents on my Golf. To Jetta ones. Because they close all the way and I can use a phone clip on them much more easily. :cool:

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Recent 4 door 4 person voyage in golf. Went fine. Spit would splatter on back seat passenger, in times of need, if the window was a two door. Pillar on four door serves as a rear passenger shield when head is out window. Tight parking with two door is no good. Wagon headlights and front end put it at second place. Dash vents on golf work without breaking, even with phone clipped on.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My son has recently made a career change and is doing carpentry work. He lives in rural western MA, and drives to work are long. A co-worker was complaining about how much he spends a week on fuel for his Silverado, and insisted he needs the truck to carry tools. My son keeps the rear seat folded in his Golf, and all his tools easily fit. They probably would even without folding the seat, but sometimes he's got a table saw in there.

We were also laughing that we no longer tell non-TDI people how many miles are on our cars because it simply doesn't register as a real number for most people. 300K miles they might get, but when you say a number over 400K they just look at you like you misspoke.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Any recommendations for the structural adhesive to attach the fenders? I suspect we are all jus' bolting them in place...
cheers,
Douglas

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You should use whatever body shops use for seam sealer. It'll help prevent rust on the mating surfaces.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"Any recommendations for the structural adhesive to attach the fenders? I suspect we are all jus' bolting them in place..."

I'm a fan of Sikaflex, bolt and use some of their "construction adhesive" or any of their polyurethane gap fillers.
Not much auto experience, but I've used a LOT in marine applications. Unlike silicone based sealants, it stays
stuck to surfaces, and remains flexible and waterproof.