Oil leak near firewall??

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Anyone ever diagnose an oil leak in this area? I honestly don't even know what I am looking at.

jekimb

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Oh man I hope someone knows this. The exact same part on my Jetta is coated in oil and cant see anywhere it could be coming from. I've searched several diagrams just to find out what that thing is with no luck, hopefully it'll get solved for the both of us.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Oh man I hope someone knows this. The exact same part on my Jetta is coated in oil and cant see anywhere it could be coming from. I've searched several diagrams just to find out what that thing is with no luck, hopefully it'll get solved for the both of us.
That leak looks like it's coming from the EGR cooler. On both my coolers the stainless line screwed into them was loose. Other than that, the turbo drain or feed could be leaking.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll keep you updated if I find anything. However, we are just starting a cross-country move and it'll be 6 weeks min before I can even look into this.

That leak looks like it's coming from the EGR cooler. On both my coolers the stainless line screwed into them was loose. Other than that, the turbo drain or feed could be leaking.
Thanks! I will see if I can find some diagrams to locate those. Probably nearly inaccessible??

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I'll keep you updated if I find anything. However, we are just starting a cross-country move and it'll be 6 weeks min before I can even look into this.

Thanks! I will see if I can find some diagrams to locate those. Probably nearly inaccessible??
Yeah it's behind the dpf. You might be able to see it.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I am fairly confident the source of the oil leak is the torx screw that attaches the black sensor to the aluminum housing. I don't know what that sensor is, but I am also not sure if the seal for that sensor is the real problem and it's dripping onto the screw or not. Anyone know what that sensor is?

Here is a picture after I cleaned it up and it started to drip again pretty quickly:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
hard to say. might be oil level sensor? need some better pictures as you back off a bit to see model numbers such as 1J0 907 660 C etc.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is the low pressure EGR valve. That is not what is leaking oil, it is coming from higher up, from the breather or the valve cover.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks!! It is so hard to see anything up there! Very limited on space! Are there diagrams out there to show me where I need to be looking?
I see the valve cover here (5):

I assume the breather is on top of that?

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
In my opinion from when I swapped out my engine and trying to recall everything above that, I am in agreement with the 2 suggestions above. It is most likely coming from any of the following:
- Turbo oil feed or drain (1 of the 2 drain bolts on my turbo is slowly leaking)
- Valve cover gasket (noticed mine was leaking slowly around about 80% of the cover)
- Possibly breather if your intake plumbing isn't great
- I cannot think of any other way oil would be dripping on that part or into it as there is no oil flow through it that I am aware of

In my opinion I think the turbo feed or drain is leaking. In the "cleaned" image it appears that the hose at the top of the frame also has oil on it, this supports the theory it is coming from above.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
To muddy the waters, there is also oil on the CV shaft there, which is slinging it everywhere.

Is the turbo feed line the unmarked steel line in the bottom right image DrGERtol posted? I did try and tighten that line at the bottom and it was already snug. I couldn't trace it to the top.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
that's why I didn't recognize what that is because my car is deleted.

DrGerTol is spot on!

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I am still at a loss, even with the DPF removed, I cannot find the source of the leak. I took more pictures and would love to see if I can fix it before I go back together with the exhaust. There appears to be some oily residue from the air piping, but not enough to justify the dripping I see at the bottom. What I can see if the Valve cover looks clean. I am not seeing a breather anywhere.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
the main looks looks like its on the first picture of your post on June 2022.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
@calimustang - I am confused by your comment. The oil still collects there, but I cannot find it's source. The top picture in post 16 is the same EGR unit, but just looking up from the bottom. And I had already cleaned it off. Bet there is some drops forming this am.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
@calimustang - I am confused by your comment. The oil still collects there, but I cannot find it's source. The top picture in post 16 is the same EGR unit, but just looking up from the bottom. And I had already cleaned it off. Bet there is some drops forming this am.

That is the low pressure EGR valve. That is not what is leaking oil, it is coming from higher up, from the breather or the valve cover.
look at what he (oilhammer) said.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I combed all over that area, best I could. There is just a mess of tubing and it's impossible to see past them. I am 95% certain it is not the valve cover gasket. I was able to see the rear of it in it's entirety using the mirror while the DPF was out. I'll admit that I don't know where the breather is, but from my other automotive knowledge, this always seems to be in the valve cover somewhere. It it were leaking, there would be evidence of it on the valve cover gasket.

Perhaps the next oil change, I will borrow and video scope and see if I can snake it up in there and have a better peek.

Escape.idiocracy

TDI
CR 2.0
I combed all over that area, best I could. There is just a mess of tubing and it's impossible to see past them. I am 95% certain it is not the valve cover gasket. I was able to see the rear of it in it's entirety using the mirror while the DPF was out. I'll admit that I don't know where the breather is, but from my other automotive knowledge, this always seems to be in the valve cover somewhere. It it were leaking, there would be evidence of it on the valve cover gasket.

Perhaps the next oil change, I will borrow and video scope and see if I can snake it up in there and have a better peek.

I don’t know how to add photos- mine has the SAME leak going on…. I am 99% sure it’s the CCV valve…. If you can- pull your intake, and the “turbo muffler” black plastic tube. See if it has a bunch of oil. This is where mine is coming from- and it’s seeping out between the “muffler” and the turbo and dripping all over everything back there.

Visibility and workability totally sucks….

Also- if it’s the CCV i haven’t been able to find it outside of being sold as a $300 valve cover unit……. 🤯🤯🤯

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Worth a look. Intake isn't hard to pull.

To attach pictures, I have a google photos account that backs up all my phone's photos. From there I have a shared album dedicated to the Jetta that I then copy the address for and paste that into the pic icon above. ...in a nutshell

Escape.idiocracy

TDI
CR 2.0
Worth a look. Intake isn't hard to pull.

To attach pictures, I have a google photos account that backs up all my phone's photos. From there I have a shared album dedicated to the Jetta that I then copy the address for and paste that into the pic icon above. ...in a nutshell
I haven’t been able to find the part number yet- but I was wrong in my last post. The Pcv/Ccv diaphragm can be taken out and replaced!

I just took mine out, cleaned it up- the diaphragm in mine is super warped on one end… looking for a replacement kit now. So far I have only found kits for 2.0 gas motors…. Nothing on the CJAA tdi. 🤷🏽‍♂️🍺👍🏼 progress….

Hopefully this is it for mine! And maybe this will put you in the right direction for yours!

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you very much for the update. Rest assured it will help someone, and I really hope me as well!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
this is the first to see CCV valve failure for the MK5/6's to my knowledge... but then again... due to age, wear and tear etc... those are bound to.... go.

Last edited:

Willie33

TDI
2005 Golf 2013 Jetta
Did the CCV fix the leak? I have a 2013 Sportwagen CJAA with the exact same leak. I made a shield to keep it from dripping on the CV shaft a spraying around in hopes I could see where it is coming from but no luck. The leak started shortly after doing a DPF delete not sure if they are related or not. Before the leak the car was using a little less than a quart every 5K miles. Now a quart every 1K to 1.5K.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Somehow my leak just went away or slowed enough that I don't have drips forming anymore. I still have oil seeping from the intercooler piping, but nothing from the back (firewall) of the engine.

Escape.idiocracy

TDI
CR 2.0
Did the CCV fix the leak? I have a 2013 Sportwagen CJAA with the exact same leak. I made a shield to keep it from dripping on the CV shaft a spraying around in hopes I could see where it is coming from but no luck. The leak started shortly after doing a DPF delete not sure if they are related or not. Before the leak the car was using a little less than a quart every 5K miles. Now a quart every 1K to 1.5K.
What stage tune did you go with? I am pretty convinced that the increased boost just sucks oil by the ccv system… or the internal ccv baffling system is old and failed- not worth $300 and the trouble of replacing the valve cover to rule it out.

I went from this leak with a stage two, then threw a 170 hybrid in…. Choked the ccv tube down to about a 1/4” diameter and it no longer leaks… working on a catch can setup now for a proper fix. Probably not the greatest- but I figured that if I vent to atmosphere the system was designed to run under vacuum…. My choking it down and under vacuum would be better than no vacuum 🤷🏽‍♂️. Have made worse decisions in life. Catch can will be the better rout.
Commutes 180 miles a day for work just fine… 😂🤣

The oil at 27psi that comes through the ccv is pretty ridiculous… so lots of other guys have put bigger turbos, with more boost and may not have this issue?? Would probably lean to I have a ccv failure/damage with some part of the baffle… but again. For me it isn’t worth it.

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
What stage tune did you go with? I am pretty convinced that the increased boost just sucks oil by the ccv system… or the internal ccv baffling system is old and failed- not worth $300 and the trouble of replacing the valve cover to rule it out.

I went from this leak with a stage two, then threw a 170 hybrid in…. Choked the ccv tube down to about a 1/4” diameter and it no longer leaks… working on a catch can setup now for a proper fix. Probably not the greatest- but I figured that if I vent to atmosphere the system was designed to run under vacuum…. My choking it down and under vacuum would be better than no vacuum 🤷🏽‍♂️. Have made worse decisions in life. Catch can will be the better rout.
Commutes 180 miles a day for work just fine… 😂🤣

The oil at 27psi that comes through the ccv is pretty ridiculous… so lots of other guys have put bigger turbos, with more boost and may not have this issue?? Would probably lean to I have a ccv failure/damage with some part of the baffle… but again. For me it isn’t worth it.
I have the same exact leak on a Malone stg2 Audi a3. Interested to see your final solution.