No boost from new garret turbo.

wagontdi82

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon GLS
So had my heater core replaced and my mechinc always double checks the car before giving it back and saw my actuator hanging down from the vacuum hose. So couldn't located an actuator so decided to replace the turbo. It's installed and I just to pick it up and there's no boost. My boost gauges reads something but not it usually see. Does the vnt actuator need to be adjusted? He didn't because the instructions says not too. Please help.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
If an actuator for a new turbo is altered by the mechanic, the warranty is gone, just like that. In order to move the actuator's threaded rod, you have to loosen at least one nut. If the nuts have been painted and you move them, the paint cracks. No warranty. That's why they paint items on the turbo; so they will know if you try to mess with the settings.

My next question is, I've never seen those screws 'fall out', as they usually get so hot they stick in the holes. So, why were they so loose, the actuator fell off? Did they rot off? Maybe then, you needed the turbo. I'd like to see that old turbo. Apparently, the actuator was still on the end of the vacuum hose. I would have checked to see it it even worked before searching for a new one. Although you didn't find one does not mean you can get a new one. I have them and can access them online.

Then, I have to ask... One day, did you not suddenly notice that your car became completely 'gutless' and would hardly get to 60 mph in 2 minutes? That would be the day your actuator fell off. Either that, or did you now know when you bought the car, the turbo never worked?

Last, why would the mechanic send you home with a new turbo that has no boost? Does he know what they are supposed to do? What kind of mechanic works on a car that was weak as a kitten, then sends you home with a new turbo that apparently made NO DIFFERENCE! If he claims to be a mechanic, how could he not know?

If nothing else, I'd find a new mechanic.

wagontdi82

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon GLS
I
If an actuator for a new turbo is altered by the mechanic, the warranty is gone, just like that. In order to move the actuator's threaded rod, you have to loosen at least one nut. If the nuts have been painted and you move them, the paint cracks. No warranty. That's why they paint items on the turbo; so they will know if you try to mess with the settings.

My next question is, I've never seen those screws 'fall out', as they usually get so hot they stick in the holes. So, why were they so loose, the actuator fell off? Did they rot off? Maybe then, you needed the turbo. I'd like to see that old turbo. Apparently, the actuator was still on the end of the vacuum hose. I would have checked to see it it even worked before searching for a new one. Although you didn't find one does not mean you can get a new one. I have them and can access them online.

Then, I have to ask... One day, did you not suddenly notice that your car became completely 'gutless' and would hardly get to 60 mph in 2 minutes? That would be the day your actuator fell off. Either that, or did you now know when you bought the car, the turbo never worked?

Last, why would the mechanic send you home with a new turbo that has no boost? Does he know what they are supposed to do? What kind of mechanic works on a car that was weak as a kitten, then sends you home with a new turbo that apparently made NO DIFFERENCE! If he claims to be a mechanic, how could he not know?

If nothing else, I'd find a new mechanic.
The actuator looks like it rotted off. I have pictures he sent. The car was running fine must have been when he took it and it was sitting waiting to be in the repair rotation. There was heavy rust on it. I left the car there. You can hear it spooling. But boost gauge doesn't show much boost. It feels like it's in limp mode

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
One of the most common errors when reassembling the turbo/ engine is there is a 'Y' in the vacuum lines that has a bad habit of falling apart. It's about right in the middle of the engine toward the firewall. Check to see there is vacuum at the connection to the actuator. At idle, it should be at full boost, or 18 inches vacuum.

No vacuum gauge? Plug the line into the actuator when the engine is running. The actuator should pull all the way against the stop; about an 80 degree rotation.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
If you've checked everything Frank has suggested the only other thing I can think of is the N75 valve…I’ve seen them get debris in the diaphragm and halt the vacuum

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, no kidding. Why do folks always go for the most expensive part on the car? The issue could be any number of things.
As far as I know the actuator for the VE motor is still available, he may have not wanted to wait. I wonder just what sort of turbo he used.