New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

loiceness

TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI (BEW)
Hello! Recently purchased my first car, a 2006 Golf TDI with ~320k on the clock and the 5spd manual tranny. It's been loads of fun driving around and getting more into the VW community. It has a few things I will need to repair in the near future (noisy power steering, oil leak, brakes, other safety bits) but overall in very good condition. Proud to apart of the TDI world, looking forward to chatting and learning lots! =D

Stuartb3502

TDI
Golf mk6 GTD & Scirocco TDi 170
Only recently found this forum. I’ve had a mk6 Golf GTD for 10 years. The longest I’ve ever owned a car as it’s such a good all rounder. Fitted a fairly major project (for me anyway) stereo early on which is another reason why it’s difficult to consider selling. My wife drives a Scirocco TDi170. I’m a bit jealous of her heated seats, but otherwise they’re both great for their own thing. Amusingly they have a habit of developing the same faults at around the same time despite hers having far fewer miles - same glow plug failing on both, same ABS sensor going, same worn pipe in engine bay. I guess they all get broken springs (especially on UK roads) so that’s not much of a conicidence.

Stuartb3502

TDI
Golf mk6 GTD & Scirocco TDi 170
The roads are so bad it breaks your springs!??
Yes. Both my wife's car and mine have had a rear spring each already. My Golf then had to have both fronts recently. It has 91k miles on.

Although the damage was probably incremental, the last straw was a trip to the border with Wales. The English county on the border has the lowest population (i.e available tax money) per mile of road. The roads are quite unbelievably bad with deep potholes right across the width of the road.

Even with great care it's difficult avoid to them all. So the bad news was that I had to have two springs to be able to get home from holiday.

The good news was that a small garage was super helpful in getting them fitted the next day and was much cheaper than if I'd had them done where I live :)

The garage said they are doing a roaring trade in springs and I think if you asked many in the UK you'd find that they have had to have some sort of suspension repair from road damage.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Pretty sure some Dukes of Hazzard stuff was done in my jetta before it was totaled, the springs sound broken when i go over speed bumps. maybe its the swaybar end links.
🤣🤣 “dukes of hazzard stuff”
Funny you should say that, I’ve literally had my mk4 completely airborne before 😂. Not intentionally of course, I didn’t know this one backroad intersection was basically a ramp, hit it pretty fast and my buddy saw it as he was coming around a corner further down the road, he said all four wheels were off the ground.

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta
🤣🤣 “dukes of hazzard stuff”
Funny you should say that, I’ve literally had my mk4 completely airborne before 😂. Not intentionally of course, I didn’t know this one backroad intersection was basically a ramp, hit it pretty fast and my buddy saw it as he was coming around a corner further down the road, he said all four wheels were off the ground.
seriosuly dude there is nothing on this undercarrage that is NOT scraped along something. Plus my entire exhaust does not line up right

Tnavy

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Hello everyone!

I live in NW Oregon and drive a 2014 Passat SE TDI with 62,xxx miles- It's my first diesel vehicle. I went to school for diesel technology, but that was mostly long haul trucks and construction equipment, so im not 100% sure how the work would translate if I did repairs myself- which is why I decided to join this forum.

dmroberson

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Hello everyone!

Just picked up a 2014 Passat TDI SEL with 60k miles on it. First diesel vehicle I've owned, so looking forward to learning how this thing works.

tmotto21

TDI
MK6 Golf GTD
Golf GTD 2.0 CR in my possession for just over a year now. I’ve never modified a car or done mechanics, until this year. I’ve run some crazy upgrades from CP3 pump, hybrid turbo, R32 Calipers, S3 shifter/endlinks, hard pipes, and just about anything I could get my wrench out for :) this forum has been invaluable, and I hope to help others by sharing what I know and have learned. Greetings from England!

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
Whats up everyone! First diesel car owner here. Bought a 2013 JSW with a 6spd. Only had 107k miles on it too. Threw a CTS turbo intake that my buddy had from his old MK6 GTI into it about a week after I bought the car. Coming from a Mk6 GTI that I put well over 300K miles onto it. Im in it for the long haul and want to make this JSW last well into the 4-500K miles.

Just looking to keep this thing for a long time and keep it reliable. Been reading a bunch of tips and write ups on here, yall are incredibly knowledgeable.

Nifty

TDI
VW caddy 1.9tdi bjb code
Just saying hi from Ireland for my first post! Have a 2004 250,000 mile caddy that runs well but has a few issues to sort out, hopefully will find some answers in here, happy Christmas to all

slim reaper

TDI
1999 Polo Estate
Hi, new to the forum so hopefully getting tips with purchasing a mk4 golf estate to replace my 1999 polo 1.9tdi estate that I sadly had to scrap through unavailability of parts

Thomas777

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Hello from eastern mass!
A few months ago I purchased my 2005 golf TDI with 180k. On it I have installed a lot of new mods, including a BV-39 upgraded turbo, Darkside intercooler, pd150 intake (egr delete), stage 2 southbend clutch, drilled slotted rotors, Kerma tuning, and a few more other upgrades. My hopes for this car is to have a reliable yet fuel efficient ride to work. I also have a crazy obsession with diesel engines, which is part of the reason I love TDI's!!! Look forward to helping out wherever I can, and hopefully find help in return as i already have.
I was 4 months old when this thread was started😅
Happy new year to everyone!

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
Hello from eastern mass!
A few months ago I purchased my 2005 golf TDI with 180k. On it I have installed a lot of new mods, including a BV-39 upgraded turbo, Darkside intercooler, pd150 intake (egr delete), stage 2 southbend clutch, drilled slotted rotors, Kerma tuning, and a few more other upgrades. My hopes for this car is to have a reliable yet fuel efficient ride to work. I also have a crazy obsession with diesel engines, which is part of the reason I love TDI's!!! Look forward to helping out wherever I can, and hopefully find help in return as i already have.
I was 4 months old when this thread was started😅
Happy new year to everyone!
I was 13 when it started. Lol. Now get off my lawn.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
And I was 3...

Also, it seems us Club residents aren’t very good at welcoming new people...
So, for the last 8 members that introduced themselves here, I would like to say, “Welcome!” and hopefully we don’t seem too antisocial... lol

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
And I was 3...

Also, it seems us Club residents aren’t very good at welcoming new people...
So, for the last 8 members that introduced themselves here, I would like to say, “Welcome!” and hopefully we don’t seem too antisocial... lol
Nah you guys all seem pretty chill. I love how technical you guys are. Everyone seems to be an expert in something.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Nah you guys all seem pretty chill. I love how technical you guys are. Everyone seems to be an expert in something.
No no, everyone ELSE is an expert, I just hang out here and try to learn all I can 😁
But yes, that is exactly why I love this place, way more mature intelligent discussion than most forums.

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
No no, everyone ELSE is an expert, I just hang out here and try to learn all I can 😁
But yes, that is exactly why I love this place, way more mature intelligent discussion than most forums.
Agreed. I am coming from the golfmk6 forums from when I owned my gti and there's a decent handful of people that hold intelligent conversations, the rest are trolls or *******s.

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
Oooo and it seems this forum is censored. Hopefully I don't get banned for that cause I swear quite a bit...

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
We have our share of trolls on here too, especially the anti-tdi people who think that we should all drive electric cars.
Its supposed to be a family friendly environment, which means that cussing will be censored. All it takes is a little self control. Its even easier than in person as you can read what you wrote before you.hit submit.

Chef-CJ

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Hello!

I'm new to owning a diesel (well, I bought mine 4 years ago, but it's the first one I've owned), but I'm on my 4th VW. I have a 2011 JSW, and while it's been a great car for the majority of the time I've owned it, I'm starting to have a lot of problems, so I came here to hopefully find all the info I need for anything I need to do. I live in the DFW area, and while I've been to a dealership or two here, I haven't really been to any shops that specialize in Volkswagen, and I tend to do all the maintenance myself.

My JSW has about 116k on it, and it's out of the extended emissions warranty, so I'm sure there's loads I need to know. I don't have a VCDS (I think that's what it's called), and while I don't have any word codes on my car at the moment, I'm sure there are lots on my future. I'm mostly trying to find out everything I can to do a DPF delete, because with my mileage and driving style that I have found out is completely wrong for a diesel, it can't be long before I need to get something done with it. So anyone pointing me in that direction would be super helpful. I don't want to be the guy starting a bunch of new threads if these things have already been talked to death, which I'm sure they have

Also, I'm a chef of 30+ years by trade, so feel free to pass any food related questions my way.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Hello!

I'm new to owning a diesel (well, I bought mine 4 years ago, but it's the first one I've owned), but I'm on my 4th VW. I have a 2011 JSW, and while it's been a great car for the majority of the time I've owned it, I'm starting to have a lot of problems, so I came here to hopefully find all the info I need for anything I need to do. I live in the DFW area, and while I've been to a dealership or two here, I haven't really been to any shops that specialize in Volkswagen, and I tend to do all the maintenance myself.

My JSW has about 116k on it, and it's out of the extended emissions warranty, so I'm sure there's loads I need to know. I don't have a VCDS (I think that's what it's called), and while I don't have any word codes on my car at the moment, I'm sure there are lots on my future. I'm mostly trying to find out everything I can to do a DPF delete, because with my mileage and driving style that I have found out is completely wrong for a diesel, it can't be long before I need to get something done with it. So anyone pointing me in that direction would be super helpful. I don't want to be the guy starting a bunch of new threads if these things have already been talked to death, which I'm sure they have

Also, I'm a chef of 30+ years by trade, so feel free to pass any food related questions my way.
Welcome to the Club! You’ve certainly come to the right place for all things TDI, all the information you could possibly wanton one location 😁.
I find this sites search function works rather poorly, but putting your queries into Google along with this text; “site:forums.tdiclub.com” (minus the quotation marks) works very well.

I agree with you about working on your own vehicles, I feel it’s the best way to ensure the work is done correctly, good mechanics in general are very difficult to find!
VCDS is definitely a great investment if you plan on keeping and fixing the car for long.

My grandfather (now deceased) was also a chef, but unfortunately not much of his skill rubbed off on me so I may take you up on the offer 😂

Chef-CJ

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Please do! I've cooked in just about every capacity, from fast food as a kid to fine dining, country clubs, you name it. It was a massive passion for a long time, but it does take a toll, so it's nice to talk about it, instruct etc, rather than spend a dozen hours in the kitchen at this point.

I plan on keeping my JSW if I can, largely because I still owe on it, and at this point I probably owe what is worth. Crazy as the used car market is right now, I probably couldn't get anything anyway. I'm doing the thermostat tomorrow, and thankfully having to clean out the EGR valve kinda showed me everything I need to remove to at least access it. One instruction video has a guy basically removing half the engine, another had a guy removing the bare minimum, and yet another is taking about having to move the alternator. So I guess we'll see. The less, the better. But if I can't get to temp, I can't regen, which kills the life of the DPF even faster.

I don't know if I'm overly worried about that or not. I just know I can't afford the 3-5k it would cost to replace it. If I can make it past until summer, I can get enough money together to buy the kit, then later the tune, then get it done. I looked at the Trusted Mechanics on here, found a local guy, and he emailed me right back. So at least I'm finding my way to a solution. I just don't know how much time I have, and I want to get out if this with as little wallet damage as I can.

pandur.zoli

TDI
1.9 PD ASZ
Hello Guys!

I have a 2002 Audi A3 ASZ PDTDI with a GTB2260VK turbo, FMIC, AL injectors and an open exhaust.
It currently has 267k km-s, and produces 220whp on 2.2 bar of boost. This is a safe remap done by a professional for me, bc I didn't have the money to risk running more boost and having the engine go boom boom.
I love it to bits, we have done 17k km-s together, and it hasn't skipped a beat since. I love how it sounds, drives and feels. And I also love that here on the forum You guys have answers for every question.
My question is, yesterday I took off the intercooler piping at the top of the engine, and there was some oil buildup. By some, I mean I was able to clean it up with a rag. Note that it's at the very top of the engine, above the turbo and everything. I know for a fact that the turbo's oil return line leaks some oil, and the car needs about 0.7 litres of refilling of oil per 8000 km. I'm looking forward to getting it remapped to 2.4 bar, but before that, I need the car to be in good condition. Should I be worried about the turbo, or not? I haven't looked at the intercooler itself yet.
It leaks oil somewhere, I don't exactly know where, maybe from the valve cover gasket.
Should I get the turbo fixed before I remap, or am I safe to do so?

Thank you for your replies in advance,
Z