New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Glad to have found this..... I've recently acquired my 3rd Tdi but first Mk4.....(the first was a 78 Rabbit straight diesel and sure wish I could find one of those again)
Got lotsa questions but will hit the forums first. .. first order of the day is to find a good scan tool and maybe a way to stop the goddamn doors from locking every time I drive.....(this more than even pulling the rack, pisses me off on a daily basis!)
Welcome aboard. Ross-Tech VCDS is the gold standard for communicating via the OBD, and adjusting how the car auto-locks is an easy mod. VCDS is not inexpensive, but it's worth it if you have multiple VWs or working on your TDI often (the older IDIs and turbo/non-turbo diesels will not all have OBD2, which was...1996? and the first NA TDI found its way into the Passat and Jetta just after that. There was also a non-TDI Jetta sold in Canada in 97, which had an older style TD engine). Here's a link:

aggiejourno

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Howdy y'all!

Just picked up a 2002 Jetta GLS TDI with 201k. I'm new to the world of diesel, but one of the cars I learned to drive in was an '03 Jetta Wolfsburg, and prior to that, my parents both had '97 Jettas -- mom a black Wolfsburg and dad a blue GT.

Excited to be back in a VW! I'm from Houston, Texas, but I currently live in Eugene, Oregon.

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Hello all!

Well, Im not exactly a newbie, I was here in 2013-17 loving my 13 TDI golf and loving this site!
Then DIeselgate happened. Most of us sold our cars for profit and moved on... I actually, got a good trade in for my TDI, a GTI! -Super fun car, but still.I missed that diesel power!
I then went as far as to buy a truck, a new Ford Ranger to be exact. Always wanted a 4x4 and well it was 2019, different times. (I ended up moving people 16 times, hauled trees, dirt... and none of it mine... Ill never buy another truck again)
-Fast forward to now.
Dark times. Strange things in the news everyday. 'Used cars are worth more than new cars'... let that sink in. At any rate, my truck, it turns out is worth more than I paid for it, 2 years later. So I sell it, because, well, it just made financial sense. Im ready just to pocket the profit and walk away, but then I start thinking... I wonder if Carvanna has any TDI's... click.
2014 Black Bettle...17k mi....click....bought... delivered in 2 days and hauled my truck away.
Its a glorious Beetle! I love that its diesel powered. I drove it all day yesterday and I thought "Now Im back into a car that I feel is perfect", and its name is Kylo Ren.
Good to be back,
Cheers, y'all!

-I just bought my first VCDS interface...its on this time around! This is going to be fun!

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I had the same plan, a newer (last of) New Beetle. Haven't found one yet. Really want one of those crazy colors.

Clint82

TDI
None
Hey guys,
My name is Clint and I’m stationed in Las vegas in the military. Im on the hunt for a TDI as we speak. Im a previous 7.3L diesel owner and the following for those is massive so I was very happy to see the same for the TDIs! I’m specifically looking for:

2012-2015 Jetta, Jetta sportwagen, or a Passat

High mileage doesnt scare me as long as I get the warm fuzzy that the maintenance/timing belt etc has been done. I tend to keep my cars for 7+ years so I usually lean toward the highest trim levels. I have a 70 mile commute to Indian Springs, NV each day so MPG is a big reason I have decided on a TDI. Any tips or advice on year models to avoid or steer toward would be greatly appreciated.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey guys, My name is Clint and I’m stationed in Las vegas in the military. Im on the hunt for a TDI as we speak. Im a previous 7.3L diesel owner and the following for those is massive so I was very happy to see the same for the TDIs! I’m specifically looking for:m2012-2015 Jetta, Jetta sportwagen, or a Passat. Any tips or advice on year models to avoid or steer toward would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome Aboard. The cars you reference have some distinct differences by model and year. The NCS Jetta is a different platform from MQB Golf based wagons, and both differ from the NMS Passat. In addition, the 2015s have significant changes in both body, platform, and engine-trans in the Jetta/Golf Sportwagen/Passat. If none of this sounds familiar, I'd suggest reading the Mk6 and Mk7 forums to understand it better. It's hard to reduce it to a soundbite, as 2012-2015 J/JSW/GSW/P plus engines and transmissions produce quite a few combinations and notable differences, including warranty coverage from the diesel emissions settlement. Hope this leads you to the right starting point, as your specific Q's will get better responses in other threads.

Clint82

TDI
None
Really appreciate the advice and info. I will surf some other forums and continue to educate myself on those specific topics. Thanks again!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The shortest answer is that if you are looking for a newer TDI, 2015 is the best model year to seek. Newer EA288 engine with several advantages over the '09-14, new platform for the Golf and GSW, and strengthened and quieter platform for the Jetta and Passat.

Terbo

TDI
Golf VI 2009 2.0 GT TDI Highline CBAB DSG
Hi all! I'm new here and really happy I found this forum. I own a 2009 Golf VI 2.0 GT TDI DSG Highline CBAB. It's our family runner and has 2 baby seats permanantly occupiying the rear bench.

It was given in as a part exchange by the last owner, so we bought the car for a bargain price about 3 years ago with low mileage ~80K miles. The aircon wasn't working and someone had butchered the AV system out of the car. I managed to repair the A/C with a Delphi AC Compressor repair kit. I managed to get a Android headunit and get it wired back in and everything was great! I gave it a full service and changed the DSG oil too.

I've serviced it myself for a while now and it's was running lovely until about a month ago. The Engine management light came on and when I took it for a longer drive it went into limp mode after about 15 miles on the motorway. After some investigation it turned out to be the turbo actuator, so I replaced that last week. Now I have an oil leak coming from the turbo oil feed line.

So my next project is to change the oil feed and return lines along with any gaskets, new engine oil and filter, another DSG oil & filter change, air filter change, new front discs and pads, then I'll send her in for MOT.

After that she's due some new tires, and then I'm considering a remap at some point in the future!

I welcome any suggestions or questions for the oil feed and return line work :) If there's anything I can help anyone with I'll do my best.

Racerxr

TDI
2015 golf tdi se
hey guys I'm Andy I'm new here
just picked up a lightly wrecked 2015 golf tdi se with 62k miles on it got it all back together ( pain in the butt finding parts ) just waiting on bumper cover to be painted

replaced the radiators and radiator support as well as the A/C condenser

the battery keeps dying and couldn't figure out why until today i was walking by it and the electric water pump turned on and run for about 15min car wasn't hot hasn't been started in a week its not the front auxiliary water pump it was the one behind the engine I'm assuming its a water pump looks like water hoses running to it tried searching for it but the only thing that comes up is the aux pump and main pump

crinehart3

TDI
2009 jetta tdi wagon MKV
hello guys I have had a tdi Jetta in one form or another since I could drive of courser the Brest was my 86 tdi Jetta 453,000 miles before I let her go. Thanks for letting me join

Jason Lowden

TDI
2011 Highline
Hi everyone. I just picked up a 2011 Highline TDI. Quite happy so far. Had it a week. A couple gremlins, wipers won’t always stop and the fuel gauge stops showing how much is left.

TurboSlug

TDI
2000 Jetta
Well, looks like a lot has changed in a decade.

Hello all and good to see this forum again. I need to clean up a few things like my avatar...and hopefully any grudges. I've been away for a while since I'd sold my '00 Jetta, but the more things change the more they stay the same perhaps. I had an old friend hit me up last week to buy a little manual '02 Golf off of him with 341k miles.

At $1000 how could I refuse? So it looks like I'm back. :)

Pine_Apples

TDI
2015 Golf SE
Hi, I recently bought a manual 2015 Golf TDI SE. This is my first diesel, and also my first car, but I am super excited. It's got about 77k miles and besides some scratches, and a cracked tail light (that the dealer replaced) there was no other damage. I've been going through the forum and reading up a bunch. Its cool to see all of the info on here.

gdchav

TDI
2015 golf s
New to this forum I had a 2012 golf 2 door and this idiot cut in front of me and I T-Boned him the car took the impact well I did not get injured $11,000.00 damage. I really liked that car. I just picked up a 2015 golf s 4door with 40,000 miles. opened the fuel door and there is 2 fillers in ther that my 2012 did not have what is that do I need to ad something into my tank with this newer model?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
New to this forum I had a 2012 golf 2 door and this idiot cut in front of me and I T-Boned him the car took the impact well I did not get injured $11,000.00 damage. I really liked that car. I just picked up a 2015 golf s 4door with 40,000 miles. opened the fuel door and there is 2 fillers in ther that my 2012 did not have what is that do I need to ad something into my tank with this newer model?
Your 2015 Golf has a DEF tank with filling access next to your fuel cap. If this doesn't sound familiar, it's probably best to read your owner's manual and do some reading in the Mk7 forums.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It's DEF and the other one is diesel. Be VERY VERY careful to not get them mixed up! Putting DEF in the diesel will kill your fuel system.
If you ever accidently put def in the wrong one, don't even turn the key on, and get the tank drained. If you get it towed, make sure the tow truck driver doesn't start it or turn the key on.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Fortunately the fillers are different enough that it would be very difficult to put one in the other tank. But I'm sure it can be done, if you're determined.

ceakins

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 Speed BRM
Hey all, my name's Chris and have been lurking the TDI Club since march and finally made an account! I live in the Springfield, MO area, and have a 2006 Jetta 5 Speed BRM that I daily drive 110 miles round trip. Currently in the garage waiting on a turbo in the mail to get it running again!

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hey all, my name's Chris and have been lurking the TDI Club since march and finally made an account! I live in the Springfield, MO area, and have a 2006 Jetta 5 Speed BRM that I daily drive 110 miles round trip. Currently in the garage waiting on a turbo in the mail to get it running again!
Welcome! I'm up in Versailles Missouri, about two hours from you. Good to have you here!

ceakins

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 Speed BRM
Welcome! I'm up in Versailles Missouri, about two hours from you. Good to have you here!
Awesome! Versailles is pretty country! I see you're a vendor; is your specialty starter and alternator rebuilds? I've been trying to keep track of local-ish vendors because I much prefer to support someone that's a reasonable drive away rather than shipping from 2 states over or international if I can avoid it. I feel fortunate to live within ~1.5hr from Frank, him and I had a great conversation about some issues I was having about 2 months ago.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Awesome! Versailles is pretty country! I see you're a vendor; is your specialty starter and alternator rebuilds? I've been trying to keep track of local-ish vendors because I much prefer to support someone that's a reasonable drive away rather than shipping from 2 states over or international if I can avoid it. I feel fortunate to live within ~1.5hr from Frank, him and I had a great conversation about some issues I was having about 2 months ago.
Yes, that's what I specialize in.

P_Dub

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen S
P_Dub here. Recently, October 2020, we purchased a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDi 6-speed manual with approx 16k on it. I really like it. Here it is almost a year later and I was investigating snow tires and came across this site. I'm hoping its useful and appears that way already.
I've cleaned the starter button contacts once and it starts quickly again. I do have a small issue: my radio screen is jumping/flashing some double lines?? It sat for 3 hot days so I was wondering it that was the cause, and if there is a fix. Thanks.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I do have a small issue: my radio screen is jumping/flashing some double lines?? It sat for 3 hot days so I was wondering it that was the cause, and if there is a fix. Thanks.
I have the same car with about the same mileage on it. My screen did the same thing, then went entirely black. I bought a replacement today.

ryansportwagen

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Ryan from Kansas City here. Bought a blue 2014 JSW, DSG, tan pleather interior, no sunroof, with 76k miles a little over a year ago from Carvana. The Carfax is clean, with a good maintenance record. However my mechanic told me it's had repair work done to it and he was proved right when the paint started peeling off the bumper a month after buying it. But, we (my gf and I) like the car very much.

So far, so good. First thing we did is take a trip to CO and drove up Pike's Peak. It seemed to like it :). We've put 30k on it since buying it. The only thing that's happened is the DPF and EGR filter (and associated gaskets etc) were replaced by the dealer a few weeks ago. I had noticed the check engine light on and immediately got it scanned at Autozone, then drove it to the dealer. Thankfully it was still under warranty. When it happens again I may just delete it and get a tune. For regular maintenance I take it to a place called Volkswerks which is within walking distance from my house.

Currently, the only mods I want are to make the windows roll up/down with the key fob, and to install a switch to turn the hatch dome light off when the hatch is open. It would be nice to leave it open when camping or tailgating. Yesterday I had a can of paint mixed at O'Reilly's so I can finally make the bumper look better. I'd also like the windows tinted but I accidentally rubbed some defroster traces off so I need to fix them first. And before the next big road trip, if I have some extra cash, I'll be looking at getting crossbars and a roof-top carrier.

I have been looking things up on this forum since I got the car and it has been very helpful.

Last edited:

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
Ryan from Kansas City here. Bought a blue 2014 JSW, DSG, tan pleather interior, no sunroof, with 76k miles a little over a year ago from Carvana. The Carfax is clean, with a good maintenance record. However my mechanic told me it's had repair work done to it and he was proved right when the paint started peeling off the bumper a month after buying it. But, we (my gf and I) like the car very much.

So far, so good. First thing we did is take a trip to CO and drove up Pike's Peak. It seemed to like it :). We've put 30k on it since buying it. The only thing that's happened is the DPF and EGR filter (and associated gaskets etc) were replaced by the dealer a few weeks ago. I had noticed the check engine light on and immediately got it scanned at Autozone, then drove it to the dealer. Thankfully it was still under warranty. When it happens again I may just delete it and get a tune. For regular maintenance I take it to a place called Volkswerks which is within walking distance from my house.

Currently, the only mods I want are to make the windows roll up/down with the key fob, and to install a switch to turn the hatch dome light off when the hatch is open. It would be nice to leave it open when camping or tailgating. Yesterday I had a can of paint mixed at O'Reilly's so I can finally make the bumper look better. I'd also like the windows tinted but I accidentally rubbed some defroster traces off so I need to fix them first. And before the next big road trip, if I have some extra cash, I'll be looking at getting crossbars and a roof-top carrier.

I have been looking things up on this forum since I got the car and it has been very helpful.
Welcome, Ryan! Lots of of helpful folks around

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
Hi everyone im new and i have a problem with my baby :( i own a 2003 jetta 1.9L tdi with 491 000km tuned stage 4 ,clutch stage 4,big injectors ,head gasket water pump, timing belt done about 15 000km ago ... i absolutely love my car❤ it over eated a gew time this winter and i had to change the coolant bowl because the plastic on the sensor inside had broken off in a bunch of pices changed the thermostat rad fans... it is still doing it every time im rough on it usually it doesn’t take long and its back to normal unfortunately now with summer pretty much here i want to fix that problem not sure what it could be... a pice of plastic stuck in a line and it blocks the hose so no collant can go trough? Im not puffing white smoke dont have oil in my Preston or vice versa... some one got an idea please help me!!!! 🥺
I apologize in advance for post here. I cannot figure out how to post to the general forums so I want to tell you guys what I did.
I drove, slowly, for 841.1 miles. My little 2003 Jetta 1.9 required 10.49 gallons. That works out to be 80.49 miles per gallon. Not bad!

jacoby91

TDI
mk6 golf
Hey all! Jacob from Pittsburgh. I purchased a 2011 Golf 4dr, 6M this week ~ 207k miles. Came with a Malone stage 2, full delete. Technically this is my second TDI. My first was a 2012 Jetta. Since then I've owned a number of different vehicles - was excited to pick up another TDI and hopefully hold onto her for a long while.

Opinions on PM'ing what you don't have history on? I have hard history on the following - the rest of the maintenance is unknown...
timing belt - 157k
clutch/flywheel - 203k
coolant flush - 203k
oil/filter - 203k

Anything you'd check off the list right away being @ 207k?

Cheers!
Jake