MN Chat Thread

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Totally forgot to mention it but tomorrow is the 37th annual bug in at Luther westside VW in st. louis park. My wife and I will be attending and hopefully may be able to meet some of you TDI enthusiast's! Not planning to be a part of the show but we'll be driving the red beetle (biodsl red).
Starts at 8AM

2370 MN-100, St Louis Park, MN 55416

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T boned wagon for sale. The guy want's it gone soon. Eager seller. Has 225k, Other then the damage it sounds like he has taken pretty good care of it.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Totally forgot to mention it but tomorrow is the 37th annual bug in at Luther westside VW in st. louis park. My wife and I will be attending and hopefully may be able to meet some of you TDI enthusiast's! Not planning to be a part of the show but we'll be driving the red beetle (biodsl red).
Starts at 8AM

2370 MN-100, St Louis Park, MN 55416

Got there around 10am, pretty hot already so I only stayed about an hour. More vans then I've ever seen in one place with a few flatbeds and double cabs. Not a lot of water-cooled, but a few nice Rabbit pickups, Cabriolets, and JSWs, and Golf Rs.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
I went also , lots of nice stuff .
I wondered if WATER COOLER & TDI's weren't allowed ;)

Dang , that T-boned car looks like a possibility --- want to swap my auto to manual .
Looks like a different engine ?
Anyone know if all the trans parts will swap , hoping that to get EVERYTHING in one package ?
I did buy many parts from someone on this site a while back , but figured that lots missing little parts [ nut bolts etc. ] that could make the swap take forever & cost a lot more ?
I did get trans. shift cables , axils , flywheel & clutch ++ .

Then put my parts kit back up for sale .

A couple yrs. ago there was a TDI gathering in Mpls. at a row of shops by Hiawatha , stopped by a couple months ago , new owners now .

Thanks for the tip on the gathering .

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Got there around 10am, pretty hot already so I only stayed about an hour. More vans then I've ever seen in one place with a few flatbeds and double cabs. Not a lot of water-cooled, but a few nice Rabbit pickups, Cabriolets, and JSWs, and Golf Rs.
I got there at 10:30....missed ya, next time!
It was smaller then I thought, but was still fun.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I went also , lots of nice stuff .
I wondered if WATER COOLER & TDI's weren't allowed ;)

Dang , that T-boned car looks like a possibility --- want to swap my auto to manual .
Looks like a different engine ?
Anyone know if all the trans parts will swap , hoping that to get EVERYTHING in one package ?
I did buy many parts from someone on this site a while back , but figured that lots missing little parts [ nut bolts etc. ] that could make the swap take forever & cost a lot more ?
I did get trans. shift cables , axils , flywheel & clutch ++ .

Then put my parts kit back up for sale .

A couple yrs. ago there was a TDI gathering in Mpls. at a row of shops by Hiawatha , stopped by a couple months ago , new owners now .

Thanks for the tip on the gathering .
There was one tdi that I saw. White rabbit truck with an Iz motor and lifted on Toyota rims and generally grabbers. Real nice owner.

What is your car? might swap in. If you have the same engine this would make it super easy.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
Same as listed on the left - 2003 Jetta TDI wagon - ALH .
So the doner is one yr. newer , I do not know , would have to look up , but I thought it was NOT an ALH ?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Same as listed on the left - 2003 Jetta TDI wagon - ALH .
So the doner is one yr. newer , I do not know , would have to look up , but I thought it was NOT an ALH ?
Sorry, on my phone I cant see that. It's a bew. So its a different engine but the trans and all your other tidbits would be the exact same. The final drive gear ratio is just a bit taller for 5th, but otherwise the same. So technically you may get 1mpg more "yay" lol.
You could probably get 800-1k for the engine itself. Just have a video showing it runs good and take a pic of the dash.
It would be great to get it all fixed uo and functional, but sounds like it would need some extensive work to make it decent.
Sounds like its getting scrapped this weekend if it doesn't sell.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Tbh though if you already have all the stuff you listed (that i just now saw) all you really need are some pigtails (for clutch start, and reverse lights), clutch pedal, lines, slave. A couple more odds and ends and you'll be set.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Funny I was at the Bug In in the Vanagon, never thought to check here.

Just hit 450k today in the TDI, is the rumor true that the odometer will stop at 624,000 Miles?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Just hit 450k today in the TDI, is the rumor true that the odometer will stop at 624,000 Miles?
It is not a rumor. The odometer will freeze at 999,999 kilometers or the equivalent number of miles -- unless you find someone with the software that lets you roll back the numbers. The actual distance will continue to be recorded in the engine computer.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Anyone want\need a parts or donor car for a project?? I'm going to sell the original "jettawreck" TDI. I retired a year ago and no longer commute to work and don't need two Jetta TDIs. The silver 2001 is in great running condition but the body is shot. Door bottoms, front fenders, rockers are rusted. The car was bought at 33k miles after the owner rolled it. Extensive bodywork was done and corrosion is taking it's toll to the affected areas. GLS fabric interior in very good\excellant condition. Engine and transaxle in great shape and have all oil\filter change records. 187k miles. Timing belt due at 200k mile. All TB parts were from Metalman. Front main seal replaced by Nick (greengeeker) in Cambridge. 5 speed manual always produced over 50 mpg. Drives good, AC works, ZeroStart coolant heater. $1500 (northern MN)
Pictures by text or email.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Funny I was at the Bug In in the Vanagon, never thought to check here.

I just had a customer hit this in your doppleganger (silver ALH wagon, 5spd). He commutes from Grantsburg into the cities everyday. Matt Litke can help modify the cluster. ClustersByLitke@gmail.com

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
HELP

Anyone near St. Michael, MN this weekend? My brother is there for a BMX Nationals race with his daughter and the wheel bearing failed on his MKIV. Hoping someone here would be gracious enough to shuttle them to and from the track to their hotel on Friday and Saturday. I'm driving out from Toledo, OH Saturday with a trailer to haul it home.

The race is in St. Michael, MN they are staying in Minneapolis, MN.

Any help would be appreciated more than I can convey on this forum.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
HELP

Anyone near St. Michael, MN this weekend? My brother is there for a BMX Nationals race with his daughter and the wheel bearing failed on his MKIV. Hoping someone here would be gracious enough to shuttle them to and from the track to their hotel on Friday and Saturday. I'm driving out from Toledo, OH Saturday with a trailer to haul it home.

The race is in St. Michael, MN they are staying in Minneapolis, MN.

Any help would be appreciated more than I can convey on this forum.
PM'd

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Stand down gentlemen.
Brother and niece have rides to/from the BMX track Friday and Saturday. I will be there Saturday afternoon with a car hauler to drag it home on Sunday.

I truly love this forum, so many wonderful people on here.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Too bad you couldn't just pop another rear wheel bearing on, instead of having to trailer it.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Too bad you couldn't just pop another rear wheel bearing on, instead of having to trailer it.
I suspect it will need a stub axle too, hence I didn't even give it a thought to attempt repair in a parking lot...

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I suspect it will need a stub axle too, hence I didn't even give it a thought to attempt repair in a parking lot...
I believe you can buy the two assembled together, FYI when you get to it

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Here is a loaded up picture, since everyone loves pictures.

Found the "smoking gun"... driver side parking brake cable seized... replaced 1 rotor, both stub axles, stub axle bolts, both wheel bearings, both axle nuts, both ABS sensors and both parking brake cables. Both caliper parking arms snap back like a slingshot, fast. Test drove and all temps within that of other MKIV's.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
A buddy of mine in Albert Lea (south central) MN has a 2006 TDI with 100,000 miles and a bad automatic DMF.
He's looking for local guru to fix it.
I heard there was a guy in Mankato?

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Losha is a complete badass. Years ago he came down to one of our GTGs in KC and completely disassembled my 11mm pump and bench rebuild it including removing the hub to replace the front seal. He is an excellent mechanic and inspired me to help CoolAirVW open his shop.
He’s also an all around great guy.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I passed the info on.
It's got 100,000 miles on it so probably needs a timing belt too.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
*** They're gone; thanks, John ***

Gonna offer this here first.

I've got the original DOT-code headlamps for my A4 Jetta. They were replaced on the car by the "Hella?" e-codes I got in a group buy here years ago. The originals really did "run when parked". I just wanted the e-codes. These could use a buffing. Or... I also have a set of clear polycarbonate A4 Jetta lenses I acquired somewhere along the way (what looks like crazing is the protective plastic film over the lenses) if you'd rather attempt a replacement.

The whole package is free. I'm in St. Paul and I really would prefer not to ship but I don't want these sitting on a shelf forever waiting for a rendezvous months from now either. If you want 'em, PM me. We can talk about where to meet for the drop.

Last edited: