MN Chat Thread

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I'm starting to get fuel supply issues, at 422k should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and do the pump?
Define "do the pump".
Buy a rebuild
Rebuild yourself
Something else?
Sure its not cracked lines or something?

Could buy a lesser miles pump. ~$200 and your set.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Thanks Stan, if the troubleshooting proves eminent death, I certainly will talk with you about that.

Right now I'm watching the TPS numbers on the scan gauge to see if it's a throttle position sensor issue.
Checked for any fuel leaks today, did not see any.
Ordered a new fuel filter from ID parts.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

Anyone planning on going to this VW show in Burnsville?
Found it and thought I'd throw it out there as cheap fun. I may or may not be there (hoping I can make it) Maybe I'll see some of you all there. Would be neat to put some faces and people to the usernames I see.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for sharing! Seems random for a craigslist parts section haha but what do I know
Anyway, who’s hosting? I’d be interested
Ya, they usually advertise there it seems. Or at least a lot of the vw shows do. Its at the Burnsville VW. Really doesn't say that in the ad, but i looked it up amd thats what it says.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah I couldn’t find it, but I tried looking. Thank you for the links. I’m still new to this VW scene. Just learning as I go 😝
No worries mate. It took me 5min or so to find too. Not always easy when they don't provide much info. Would be nice if they would just supply an address. Also, pretty much the only way to go. You live and learn. Stick around long enough and you'll know more then you think you do here soon.

Btw. If Im there it'll be in a red beetle with a rack up top... can't miss me😄 feel free to introduce yourself.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
It sounds like a fun time! For some reason it seems like I have a conflict when these things come up. I have not been to one in many years. :(

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Life happens anf is always busy! They have them every year. Next year I'll try and get info out a lot sooner. Still don't know for sure if ill show up

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm starting to get fuel supply issues, at 422k should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and do the pump?
fuel filters are the most common one I run into, but I run some rather dirty fuel

that said, don't run the older filter without the vacuum tee unless you've got a lift pump
I used to recommend it, but I don't any more. The stock ALH filter is 23 micron and very free flowing, the one without the vacuum tee is a 10 micron and they plug up very quickly when you don't have a lift pump to boost the pressure. This is a big reason everyone that works on these cars sees nothing but trouble with aftermarket filter bases to run caterpillar filters or whatever. The filters are great and high quality, but they're just too much restriction for the injection pump to suck through.

The only reason our cars do not have the lift pump that the older mechanical governed engines did is that they started doing computer controlled injection timing advance. The older cars with mechanical timing advance needed a very consistent fuel inlet pressure in order to get steady timing advance.

maxmose

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey all! I'm new to the forum. I've got a 2001 Jetta with almost 270K on it. I just posted here about an electrical issue that I'm having after setting off my alarm yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm going to be up for tackling this myself, and wondering if you have any recommendations for shops or individuals in the twin cities who might be able to help get me back on the road.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hey all! I'm new to the forum. I've got a 2001 Jetta with almost 270K on it. I just posted here about an electrical issue that I'm having after setting off my alarm yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm going to be up for tackling this myself, and wondering if you have any recommendations for shops or individuals in the twin cities who might be able to help get me back on the road.
I've always recommended Midwest Motorworks in Hudson, WI. But Bob Cook has sold the business to Eric and Blake and they've changed the name to Hudson Auto Center. Same address: 680 County Road U, Hudson 54016. And same phone number: 705-381-1100.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
seen a black on black VW Phaeton driving south on 100 in the citys. I had never seen or heard of one of these till I saw this one. looks kind of like a passat. Interesting car.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
seen a black on black VW Phaeton driving south on 100 in the citys. I had never seen or heard of one of these till I saw this one. looks kind of like a passat. Interesting car.
They also came with the V10 TDI over in Europe and are very cheap (less than an ALH here in the states). ;) If only we didn't have this stupid 25 year import rule...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
They also came with the V10 TDI over in Europe and are very cheap (less than an ALH here in the states). ;) If only we didn't have this stupid 25 year import rule...
Didn't know that. I see they came with their w12 as well. But didn't know about the tdi engine. Same engine as the touarag v10 tdi i assume? Or at least closely

Yea, dumb rule. Gotta do some black market stuff and get Nicolas Cage to help out😄.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Jetta had a dead hole this morning
gallon jug I was using to catch the CCV vapors in was completely full of oil, uh oh
I'd stalled it a couple times last night, seemed odd but wasn't really running too rough when it was hot

#1 piston had the top ring broken for long enough that the second ring land was pushed into the oil control ring and it had finally broken too.
Lovely. So I've got a bunch of head gasket in a spray can to clean off the... everything. Gonna try for a second re-use on the HG and head bolts. It's only got 340k miles on that head gasket, just getting broken in.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
While i don't really reccomend. I have seen people re use good head gaskets again and it worked...for a while at least. Why not just get a new if your in there already?

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Hey Maxmose,

Read up on the door micro switch. Known problem with these cars. Luckily mine failed in the door closed position. And has been that way for 300,000 miles. But it will relock the car if I don't put the key in the ignition in 20 seconds.

Spam

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
While i don't really reccomend. I have seen people re use good head gaskets again and it worked...for a while at least. Why not just get a new if your in there already?
because it's just who I am
I'd be so much money ahead if I entertained myself with videogames and lived in the cities in some rental arrangement right next to work
but what you earn you've gotta spend, and they tax you several times along the way, so... Much more interesting to spend an hour cleaning up a 30 dollar MLS gasket for reuse than spending the hour and a half at work it'd take to buy one after shipping and such. Besides, I wanna be driving tomorrow and not in a week.

the black silicone topcoat wire wheels off really easy and leaves nice shiny stainless
the zinc cold-galvanizing paint that I used to seal it up last time does not come off nearly as easily, means it's strong haha

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
because it's just who I am
I'd be so much money ahead if I entertained myself with videogames and lived in the cities in some rental arrangement right next to work
but what you earn you've gotta spend, and they tax you several times along the way, so... Much more interesting to spend an hour cleaning up a 30 dollar MLS gasket for reuse than spending the hour and a half at work it'd take to buy one after shipping and such. Besides, I wanna be driving tomorrow and not in a week.

the black silicone topcoat wire wheels off really easy and leaves nice shiny stainless
the zinc cold-galvanizing paint that I used to seal it up last time does not come off nearly as easily, means it's strong haha
Ok lol. I find that interesting.

You remind me of all the cool elderly folk who made stuff themselves from stuff they had on the farm. If a part broke you made a copy or found/made something that would work instead. Growing up in the depression era they learned to do with what they had so theres a lot of pretty interesting home engineering out there.

So are you honing and re-ringing that piston then or swapping in a new one?

Also curious to see what the inside looks like once its opened up since youve been running your fuel for quite a while now

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Piston's destroyed, just dumping in one from the stash complete with "worn in" rings, bore was okay looking so it doesn't even get a hone.
getting real low on 1/2 pistons, got a bunch of 3/4 ones. Might look into recutting the valve relief on one of the 3/4s if I end up needing another 1/2

I don't have pictures off my phone yet from this time, but I got some combustion chamber pics from the last time it ate a valve
I'll make a thread over in the alternative fuels section, because others will find it interesting