MK7 TDI - Conversion to Independent Rear Suspension

nancameron

TDI
2016 Q5 TDI, 2015 Golf TDI
I cannot find a clear answer for this and perhaps someone has already completed this upgrade.

I have a 2015 Golf TDI S and recently purchased a salvage 2015 GTI. I understand that the DEF tank is clearly in the way and I will need to modify the exhaust. If I remove the IRS on the GTI, will it bolt up to the TDI S without modification?

Please feel free to redirect me to a thread that answers this question. I can't find a clear answer.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It will bolt right up. There's a small chance you might need to tap some threads somewhere. I think you'll need to swap over the fuel tank from the gti too.

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
I cannot find a clear answer for this and perhaps someone has already completed this upgrade.

I have a 2015 Golf TDI S and recently purchased a salvage 2015 GTI. I understand that the DEF tank is clearly in the way and I will need to modify the exhaust. If I remove the IRS on the GTI, will it bolt up to the TDI S without modification?

Please feel free to redirect me to a thread that answers this question. I can't find a clear answer.
This is a great idea and I’d like to do the same myself. Have you followed up and done this conversion? Did you get clarification on your questions?

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
That’s great! Keep us posted. I’m interested to see how this affects your fuel tank, add blue tank, and other parts.

Salty40oz

TDI
MK7 Golf
Yes, please keep us posted. I plan on doing the emissions deletes and hoping it would make room for irs.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
What is it that you are expecting to gain from these mods?
I was also disappointed with the beam suspension, but it's really not that bad. After some mild modifications I got mine to handle exactly how I liked and was able to outrun most GTI's and R32's with my measly 170hp.

11sufyam

TDI
Golf mk7 1.6 tdi
This is a great idea and I’d like to do the same myself. Have you followed up and done this conversion? Did you get clarification on your questions?
Please give an update if it worked for you as I really want to do this on mine but have no idea if it’ll work so dont want to buy the parts yet, I guess in theory it’ll work.

TKea288

TDI
Mk7 golf TDI
Just about to do this myself buying a rear subframe set up on ebay today. I was planning on making a smaller def tank out of aluminum and relocating where the spare is. Love to hear thoughts and more from the OP!