MK7 TDI - Conversion to Independent Rear Suspension

nancameron

TDI
2016 Q5 TDI, 2016 Touareg TDI
I cannot find a clear answer for this and perhaps someone has already completed this upgrade.

I have a 2015 Golf TDI S and recently purchased a salvage 2015 GTI. I understand that the DEF tank is clearly in the way and I will need to modify the exhaust. If I remove the IRS on the GTI, will it bolt up to the TDI S without modification?

Please feel free to redirect me to a thread that answers this question. I can't find a clear answer.

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
I cannot find a clear answer for this and perhaps someone has already completed this upgrade.

I have a 2015 Golf TDI S and recently purchased a salvage 2015 GTI. I understand that the DEF tank is clearly in the way and I will need to modify the exhaust. If I remove the IRS on the GTI, will it bolt up to the TDI S without modification?

Please feel free to redirect me to a thread that answers this question. I can't find a clear answer.
This is a great idea and I’d like to do the same myself. Have you followed up and done this conversion? Did you get clarification on your questions?

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
That’s great! Keep us posted. I’m interested to see how this affects your fuel tank, add blue tank, and other parts.

Salty40oz

TDI
MK7 Golf
Yes, please keep us posted. I plan on doing the emissions deletes and hoping it would make room for irs.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
What is it that you are expecting to gain from these mods?
I was also disappointed with the beam suspension, but it's really not that bad. After some mild modifications I got mine to handle exactly how I liked and was able to outrun most GTI's and R32's with my measly 170hp.

11sufyam

TDI
Golf mk7 1.6 tdi
This is a great idea and I’d like to do the same myself. Have you followed up and done this conversion? Did you get clarification on your questions?
Please give an update if it worked for you as I really want to do this on mine but have no idea if it’ll work so dont want to buy the parts yet, I guess in theory it’ll work.

TKea288

TDI
Mk7 golf TDI
Just about to do this myself buying a rear subframe set up on ebay today. I was planning on making a smaller def tank out of aluminum and relocating where the spare is. Love to hear thoughts and more from the OP!

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Guys I don't think we're getting an update. Maybe I'll try it, how expensive can It be?
so long as you delete emissions trash I’m sure it will bolt right in since VW stuff is mostly all interchangeable.

You could also put a larger tank in it too.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
so long as you delete emissions trash I’m sure it will bolt right in since VW stuff is mostly all interchangeable.

You could also put a larger tank in it too.
IRS will not bolt right in... https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/mk7-golf-tdi-s-manual-swap.522663/post-5739031

I can't speak to installing a larger tank, but I don't know that there any Mk7 Golfs with a 16 gallon tank. The GTI, which has IRS, has a 13.3 Gallon tank, and the Golf R has a 14.5.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Everything fits everything when you have a sawsall and a welder and some scrap box tubing!

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Check the post I linked. As my California car is always going to need to pass emissions, I have no interest in doing this. I haven't done much in the way of research but besides the IRS parts (which you could take from an IRS Golf/GTI) you will at minimum need to fab/find and weld upper spring perches to the frame. That may be all that's needed, or you might need more 🤷‍♂️.

And if I'm being honest the torsion beam is not a limiting factor in my canyon/mountain driving. I'm not sure when it would become a limiting factor given the performance protentional/limits of our Mk7 TDI's. I suspect those limits are well beyond what I'll ever do in any car of mine.