Mk7 Golf TDI S Manual swap

arbs

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Hello

what options of manual transmissions can i swap into my automatic Golf TDI S? Can anyone help me, thanks!

-Arbs

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I haven't heard that anyone has done this. The challenge probably isn't hardware, it's software. The engine ECU and the transmission controller work together in the automatic, and reprogramming that for a manual could be difficult.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
From spending hours (and hours, and hours) in the various modules on our cars... coding is likely a trivial matter. It's all going to be long coding, then removing the DSG controller from the gateway installation list. I'm not recommending you do/don't go through with the swap. But coding is not going to be the hurdle. In my ECU I have options for all the transmissions 🤷‍♂️.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think this swap must be much more of a colossal PIA than it seems. Numerous members here have bought the rear IRS assembly and fuel tank, but none that I know of have successfully completed the swap.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think this swap must be much more of a colossal PIA than it seems. Numerous members here have bought the rear IRS assembly and fuel tank, but none that I know of have successfully completed the swap.
Not sure what this has to do with the OP's desire to go from a DSG to a manual.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Nothing to do with it, haha. On that off-topic subject, our car won't have the frame mounted spring seat in the right place. And it won't have the central bracket/mount point for the rear control arm pivot points although if doing a swap you could pull that from the donor car. You would have to do something custom for the spring seats.

Back on-topic... DSG to manual is going to be easier than going the other way I think. The only wiring will be clutch pedal related I suspect.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Not sure what this has to do with the OP's desire to go from a DSG to a manual.
Oops, wrong thread, lol. That was meant for the IRS swap question in the upgrades forum. I'd lean towards Mike's suggestion- swap cars for one that's already a manual. Or learn to love the dsg, haha. Everyone thinks their car is something special, but in reality...

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The DQ250 is a stout transmission and capable of any power you can throw at it, plus when well taken care of will last a very long time. I understand wanting a manual, but like mentioned it would be way easier to sell your car and buy what you really want.
The 02Q has its own limitations, and both share the inevitable DMF replacement intervals.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Want to trade cars?

i love my manual GSW but sometimes wish I had the DSG. 98k miles, white TDI S