Misfuelling Guard suddenly an issue?

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
This little tab that sticks up into my filler neck is something I never noticed before, so I can't confirm or deny that it has been there since I bought the car ~4yrs ago. In any case, I certainly have my favorite fueling stations around town that are on the Top Tier Fuel list. One Shell in particular seems to always have the best price. The last two times I filled up there, the nozzle would not go into the tank because of this guard, but in the numerous times prior I had no issues.

So in doing my due diligence, I found that the nozzle has to be a certain diameter for it to release this little guard. And once home, I confirm (via screwdriver handle) that the guard does fall away with properly sized nozzle. I also called the station and inquired about it, but of course, the young woman who answered the phone had no idea. Said she'd look into, but my guess is that won't happen.

So what gives? Did the station install the incorrect nozzle on the pump?

ss_mini14

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
The nozzles at the truck pumps are larger for higher flow. You can buy a funnel which is a pain or remove that guard altogether with a pick

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
This has been our (limited) experience, too. Our local Costco (were we get fuel locally) only has the smaller diameter nozzle at their diesel pumps. When we've needed to get fuel on longer trips, we now make a point to check nozzle sizes before picking a pump/side to use because of this (i.e., since some places have smaller/larger nozzles on opposites sides of the same pump). YMMV. --g

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I know that often times rural stations and truck stops have the larger nozzles. And a lot of truck stops have the pay-at-the-pump feature on one side, so truckers with dual tanks can fill them up simultaneously.

This isn't the case of a larger nozzle. It's a case of why am I suddenly having issues with the nozzle guard not opening at a particular station I've filled up from numerous times?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
The nozzles at the truck pumps are larger for higher flow. You can buy a funnel which is a pain or remove that guard altogether with a pick
I bought the kit to use if you ever have to fill @ a truck stop. I've never had the need to open.it fortunately.

F trucks are high flow, I have to "assume" our VWs have the small fill. But we all know the the word assume can be an acronym for a more descriptive description. .. So, to clarify , can anyone confirm if our TDIs are of the "low flow" small size.

. It's a case of why am I suddenly having issues with the nozzle guard not opening at a particular station I've filled up from numerous times?
Nozzles are repaired or replaced all the time. Me thinks you got the old switchero. BTW you may not want to knock out the stop as the smog laws are getting stringent. I show my age in saying this, but... When leaded fuel went to unleaded, peeps were knocking out the restickers on there restricted new UNleaded cars. The California biannual smog test was fail using a go - no/go aluminum stick. Howsthat for nostalgia?

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I can confirm that with my VW and my wife's X5, we cannot use the large nozzles. Her X5 actually came with some sort of kit to adapt to other sizes, but it is gone unused since 2013 and 110k miles. We typically either find the smaller pumps at the same station or move on to the next station.

That being said, both the F-350's I have owned would accept the Over The Road truckers nozzles.

Nozzles are repaired or replaced all the time. Me thinks you got the old switchero.
This is my thinking as well, which is why I called the station that same day. Like all things anymore, good help is harder to find.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
From what I've seen, all the diesel pumps here are large nozzles. Cause I was half asleep one morning and tried filling up and wouldnt go in. Come to realize I was using the gas pump nozzle instead. Which showed that its smaller than the diesel ones.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
From what I've seen, all the diesel pumps here are large nozzles. Cause I was half asleep one morning and tried filling up and wouldnt go in. Come to realize I was using the gas pump nozzle instead. Which showed that its smaller than the diesel ones.
From what I've seen, all the (diesel pumps here are large nozzles).

Come to realize I was using the gas pump nozzle instead. Which showed that (its smaller than the diesel ones.)
Is it me? Im not certain if your saying the gas nozzle is smaller or larger than "the diesel one"?
TDI diesel filler neck = small
over the road nozzle = large
Thats my take away(?)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Is it me? Im not certain if your saying the gas nozzle is smaller or larger than "the diesel one"?
TDI diesel filler neck = small
over the road nozzle = large
Thats my take away(?)
Their is 3 nozzle sizes. Smallest=gasoline, the reg diesel one which is larger and will release the safety in our necks, and the high flow diesel ones.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Their is 3 nozzle sizes. Smallest=gasoline, the reg diesel one which is larger and will release the safety in our necks, and the high flow diesel ones.
well defined
thank you