Mid Michigan summer GTG --Saturday, July 25th

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Has anyone ever replaced the sway bar bushings under the subframe on a B4? This is the only suspension part that hasn't been replaced on the Passat. I've got a pop in the right front that I'd like to find. These could be part of it.

Marty, could I borrow the rack for a bit? I suspect this would be easier with the car in the air.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Growler said:
See you there in my Dads mk3.
A3 TDI? That's a Jetta, isn't it? So you're now joining the "no love for Golfs" bandwagen then! :p

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
JETaah said:
I have the technology if you have the kit.
I also recommend getting the three bolts (for each side) for connecting the control arm to the ball joint
as they are listed as one-time-use.

(qty 3) N 101 277 07 m8X1.25 x 26mm BOLT

These are the ones that I detach for changing the bearing out while on the car.

BTW what model car needs the bearing?
I have 03 Jetta wagon

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Old Navy said:
108.1* F in drive-way in the sun.
104.2* F on the back deck in the shade.

Not too bad out though, the humidity is in the 75% to 80% range today.
Nice. We've not had more than two days without rain this month. And I think it's only been above 70 two or three times. I ran the heat the other morning to get the dampness out of the house.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Nice. We've not had more than two days without rain this month. And I think it's only been above 70 two or three times. I ran the heat the other morning to get the dampness out of the house.
Rub a little salt into the wound will you. :p

Hey Marty can that lift hold a MB for a tire rotation? :D
My left rear is wearing faster then the right front for some reason.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Old Navy said:
My left rear is wearing faster then the right front for some reason.
I assume you run it with an empty trunk most of the time? Maybe put some weight on the right side of the trunk to "equalize" the weight of the driver resulting in more even tire wear? That's what I try to do when I load mine up with stuff - keep the heavy stuff on side opposite driver so to speak. Not trying to make fun of you here as I know you are a big guy.

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
Red T-D-I letters

So, what ever happened to those red TDI letters Jason (I think) was supposed to be getting a couple of years ago? Glueing them to to the hatch would give me some work to do. And at the expense of being ripped a new one for not looking back over all the posts, has a work list been posted yet, Marty?
-JohnD :confused:

'03 Jetta Variant im Deutschland hergestelt
262,000 miles
41 mpg foot-to-the-floor
52 mpg barefoot

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
CoolWht said:
I assume you run it with an empty trunk most of the time? Maybe put some weight on the right side of the trunk to "equalize" the weight of the driver resulting in more even tire wear? That's what I try to do when I load mine up with stuff - keep the heavy stuff on side opposite driver so to speak. Not trying to make fun of you here as I know you are a big guy.
Not to worry no offence taken, it is just that I often drive in good weather around town with the ESP turn off for MPG improvement. Sometimes I forget I have almost 400 flbs of toqure to play with, instead of almost 150 flbs like I use to have. ;)

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I don't think there is a definite work list yet John. I like to think I'm keeping up on this thread and I haven't seen anything but the usual pre-GTG jostling for the pole position at Jeff's desk for chipping. I have seen a front bearing R&R and O.N.'s M.B. for the hoist but little else fer sure. Got time to put it (worklist) on page one Marty? I've seen the red TDI badging on ebay, not sure about any where else. Wassup with the "Mature Beetle"? Did you really spin a bearing? :eek: Lastly, hey Walt... doesn't MB have a levitation switch to throw for tire rotations? :D We should be able to dig up a couple floor jacks if the hoist is too busy, if you want to go that route.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Mark of Diesel said:
Lastly, hey Walt... doesn't MB have a levitation switch to throw for tire rotations? :D We should be able to dig up a couple floor jacks if the hoist is too busy, if you want to go that route.
Yup, sure does. ;)

I was just poking fun and don't need the jack Mark. :D

However I guess I need to get started looking into reservations to that new motel someone mentioned. :)

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Mark of Diesel said:
I don't think there is a definite work list yet. I like to think I'm keeping up on this thread and I haven't seen anything but the usual pre-GTG jostling for the pole position at Jeff's desk for chipping. I have seen a front bearing R&R and O.N.'s M.B. for the hoist but little else fer sure. Got time to put it (worklist) on page one Marty?
Just a reminder to those considering doing any heavy work (timing belts, suspension, etc.) at this GTG: it's good form to run the idea past Marty first for his approval before GTG day is upon us. If you are new to timing belts (to use an example) and/or need an experienced hand to help on doing one should line up in advance a TB guru for assistance/guidance to make it go smoother.

Perhaps since July is almost upon us we need to start a food/drink thread? Maybe another one for non-RC work too since RC is a first come first served once you sign up on the list deal as us old hands know all too well? :)

The main purpose of this GTG is to socialize and get RC'd - it's not a heavy wrenchfest but that said there's usually some fair sized wrenching taking place anyway. While Marty is a very capable wrencher this day is one where he likes to relax, visit with old friends, make new ones and yes, lend the odd helping hand/advice here and there as the mood strikes him. :cool:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Old Navy said:
Not to worry no offence taken, it is just that I often drive in good weather around town with the ESP turn off for MPG improvement. Sometimes I forget I have almost 400 flbs of torque to play with, instead of almost 150 flbs like I use to have. ;)
Open diff then? Keep spinning the left rear more than the right rear? Try to remember it's not a drag car - if that is your true intention to beat everyone off the line at lights then you should be trying to get rid of weight such as lose the power seats, power windows, rear seat, etc.! :p You can talk to Peter of TDI Parts if he attends as he just put his track Golf on a strict weight reduction plan - got it down to around 2500 lbs. IIRC. But I know you'll tell me you want your comfort period so enjoy dude! :cool:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
CoolWht said:
But I know you'll tell me you want your comfort period so enjoy dude! :cool:
Yup, it was about comfort and diesel power. I reached that point one day where I wanted to have had one very nice car before they wheel me to the old sailor's home. :D I just wish they had imported the station-wagon so if I needed a couple of new 8' lights in the garage I could just stick them in the back like I did the Dodge. Sometimes I really miss that Dodge Magnum, then I remember the 20/26 mpg C/H and compared to my 27/38 C/H and the death of Chrysler and count my blessings.

Actually if I would back off the throttle some I could brag about 30/42 C/H MPG's easy, but that would be a waste of all that beautiful torque. So I am always blowing some Toyota or Lexus off the road along with the occasional Lincoln.

Draza

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 00, Black
Im interested in attending. Im in SE Wisconsin and did attend the TDI Fest in Lake Mills, WI a few years ago. Anyone there going to be doing ECU chips? I could use one now that the egr delete is complete along with the CEL that is now on :(

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
So, what ever happened to those red TDI letters Jason (I think) was supposed to be getting a couple of years ago? Glueing them to to the hatch would give me some work to do.
I've got 2 sets sitting in my desk drawer. Did you put in for a set? I'll gladly bring them along.

-J

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Just made my reservations at Okemos Comfort Inn for $65 a night with military discount. :D Stayed there on the last visit, really clean and quite. :cool:

Almost went with the Holiday Inn and $91 for a room with a Jacuzzi, but figured if I ever got in the thing they would never get me out. :eek:

I'm going to go east out of town and stay with US 60 till I get to KY Parkway and stay with it till I-65 where I will head north.

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Old Navy said:
I'm going to go east out of town and stay with US 60 till I get to KY Parkway and stay with it till I-65 where I will head north.
INDOT was reconstructing the I-65 / I-94 / I-80 interchange - been going on for a year now. I went thru there about a month ago and it's still a mess. Since I-65 heads northwest to Chicago from Indianapolis I assume you are going to Indy then going north on I-69 perhaps? Bet that's what you meant but if I-65 is indeed your choice heed my warning about the construction by I-94 / I-80 interchange. Just a heads up for you so you can consider possible routings to Okemos.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
CoolWht said:
INDOT was reconstructing the I-65 / I-94 / I-80 interchange - been going on for a year now. I went thru there about a month ago and it's still a mess. Since I-65 heads northwest to Chicago from Indianapolis I assume you are going to Indy then going north on I-69 perhaps? Bet that's what you meant but if I-65 is indeed your choice heed my warning about the construction by I-94 / I-80 interchange. Just a heads up for you so you can consider possible routings to Okemos.
Typo error. Should be I-69, but doing a 36MB update to GPS at the moment to give you the complete route.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was at Chill's tonight and he was running the heat. He says it keeps the tools from rusting. It's foggy and 55 right now. I was wearing a sweatshirt today to keep warm.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Got my bearing kit and wife and the wife said I can go!!

TheHolyCobra

TDI
'01 Jetta
I just got off the phone with Aaron (Growler) and talked to him about doing a TB/IP change on the 25th at the get together. Is there enough room in the garage for my car for a TB change? If so, count me in and I will be there! Thanks.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
TheHolyCobra said:
I just got off the phone with Aaron (Growler) and talked to him about doing a TB/IP change on the 25th at the get together. Is there enough room in the garage for my car for a TB change? If so, count me in and I will be there! Thanks.
From post #162 in this thread:

Just a reminder to those considering doing any heavy work (timing belts, suspension, etc.) at this GTG: it's good form to run the idea past Marty first for his approval before GTG day is upon us.
So send Marty (JETaah) a PM to ask - post #1 of this thread is him if you need to find his contact info.

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
compu_85 said:
I've got 2 sets sitting in my desk drawer. Did you put in for a set? I'll gladly bring them along.

-J
Hi Jason.
One of them must be mine. I think I even paid you for them. Bring it out to Fowlerville if you are coming.
JohnD

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Galactic Blue Pearl
I'd like to sign up for some lift time..
Got to put on some ball joints. At least one set..
I can do it on jacks most likely and will probably have some
practice if Spud can help ;)
Spud you out there?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Holy Cow this thing will be here in a couple of weeks!

I hope there won't be a brawl for barn space and lift time.
Folks, I am sorry for not keeping closer to this thread...I have had my head buried under hoods to try and reduce the number of cars that are already here.

Start time: 9:00am

There should be room for three longer term projects like timing belts
in the barn. If you are a new-be make sure you have assistance and tools before you get started.
No major work started after 4:00pm -- I want to start winding this up around 9:00pm
Please, nothing like rear axle trailing arm bushing replacement .
Those can wind up being a hand full.

If you will be changing fluids bring containers to take them back with you for disposal.

As far as requests for chipping ...that will be handled by Jeff Robertson in the manner which he chooses. From past experience it has been on a first-come basis.

The main dish I will be providing will be pulled pork for sandwiches.
If you would like to bring a dish to pass around feel free but be prepared to take back what does not get eaten.
I will be providing bottled water, and some soda pops, juice.....
If there is some you like...BYO

WORK LIST:
If there is a list that has been started somewhere bump it up

Holy Cobra TB

tango 28 wheel bearing

new2diesel ball joint

GT2 brake bleed

PHDwannabe brake bleed, oil leak --taken care of already --I hope

TDIrapin skid plate

TDItran skid plate

Sprocket CAT filter conversion, hand brake cable
*Maybe on this----- 5th gear change on B4V --requires dropping the end of the trans or cutting chassis sheet metal out of the way for clearance

Paramedick B4 sway bar bushings --requires dropping the subframe and some one-time use hardware

Stinkyfingers Glueing letters on a hatch lid -- remember, John, don't start this one any later than 4pm ;}

to be continued....

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
JETaah said:
Holy Cow this thing will be here in a couple of weeks!
I'm actually surprised this thread is still so quiet getting this close to 'The Event'! :eek: Only 14 more days to go......

BTW I'll bring along some soda pop and chips so consider this the start of the food/drink list by attendees. :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Ya TheHolyCobra & I will be taking a corner early to get his timing belt done.

I will be bringing my dads 97 Jetta and would like some help with the AC system on it. I have Bentley, but no AC experience. :)

does anyone have the AC Manifold gages?