Mid Michigan GTG -- Saturday, July 10th

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
onehotspud said:
My car has been burning oil at a rate of 1 quart every 3,000 miles (almost 3,000 on the nose). I suspect that I have oil leaking past the valve seals. The car has 202k on it and I feel that it's time to pop the head off and have it cleaned up.

Is this something that could be completed at a GTG, or is it too much?
After 202K you might want to do more than change a head gasket.
Chances are the guides are worn enough to warrant replacement. How far from home do you want to be if something ugly turns up? ....like a worn/broken ring or the like.
I would talk to Franko6 about what he thinks might be the possible reasons for the oil useage.

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I was planning on a whole new/revamped head (cams, lifters, valves, valve seals, etc). And I was going to have the complete head on hand so it would hopefully be a "quick" swap.

I will call Frank and see what he thinks. I was going to attempt this swap in the winter but I got really busy with work and it just never happened.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Stevo,

If you've got another head on hand, I'll help you do the work. Might seem refreshing instead of the usual TB service.

I'll bring my braided SS (replacement) oil feed line and fittings (incase) - will you have ALL gaskets needed, and coolant, and new head bolts?

Kirk

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Galactic Blue Pearl
Growler,
If you are going to have the Diesel Douche Device on hand, I'd like to borrow it twice. Have 2 cars that have never been cleaned that way..

Also, have you talked to Glenn? Is he planning on coming?

The wife has started seeing the alternator pulley issue come up.
It hasn't happened in 2 weeks, so if it doesn't happen too often I'd like to do it at the GTG, otherwise I will have to tackle it myself.

I might try to have Frank look at both set of injectors, if he can do the PD ones.

I'd also like a BEW engine guru to go over the new car with me.. Things to look out for, things to be aware of.

See you there.

\/\/

JETaah

TDI
new2diesel said:
Growler,
If you are going to have the Diesel Douche Device on hand, I'd like to borrow it twice. Have 2 cars that have never been cleaned that way..
Diesel Douche Device?

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Galactic Blue Pearl
Anyone have the Metalnerd Serrated Alternator Pully removal tools?
I am wiling to buy them, but if someone has it to rent/ lend/ borrow, I would rather do that.

So far the work that I am looking to do is:
Passat Alternator Pulley replacement.
Diesel Purge both cars..
Passenger Door switch fix on the Jetta.
Glow Plug harness swap on the Jetta.
A little work on the injectors by Frank, if he deems it necessary after some diagnosis.

Also for the Food list.. We will be bringing a veggie tray and a couple of cupcakes for the wife's Birthday.

Looking forward to this one.. :)

\/\/

PS. Spud, you bringing Mrs. Spud?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
new2diesel said:
Anyone have the Metalnerd Serrated Alternator Pully removal tools?
I am wiling to buy them, but if someone has it to rent/ lend/ borrow, I would rather do that.
Alternator pulley bits are in the toolbox. See me there.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I've also got a set and a "Diesel Douche" device ( shall we call it the D3 for short?). :D I'll throw them in the car too. Hard to believe no TB requests yet. :eek:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Mark of Diesel said:
Hard to believe no TB requests yet. :eek:
Weren't any TB's at Whitbread's GTG yesterday either. Missed seeing you there as I thought you posted you intended to come to it. At least I'll see you at Marty's!

CaptainKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
I can bring my D3 device as well...:cool:

Just finished 2 TB jobs and am finishing a flywheel replacement... No big jobs for this GTG, but am considering trying to figure out what's wrong with my heated seats.

Anyone have any experience with anything other than the broken heater element in the seat?

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Seat problems

Captain Kirk:

I had a bad switch/control unit in Liath. Is only one seat out or is it both? If it's only one, change the switches side to side and see if the heater works. If it does, its a bad switch, if not then it's probably the seat element, or possibly the wiring.

Mark of Diesel:

I too was looking forward to seeing you at Matt's GTG. I'll just have to catch up with you at some other time.

Dan

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Yeah, unfortunately life gets in the way of recreation sometimes. :( My Mother just passed thru the veil and I'm P.R. for the estate with all the responsibilities that come with that so my time has not been my own lately. Hopefully, things will be coming around to a more even keel soon and I'll be able to get the knots in my stomach untied.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
MOD - Am very sorry to hear about your mother! :( Keep busy and don't forget to take a break on July 10th so you can join us for some fun at Marty's! ;)

CaptainKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
Heated seats not working...

Dan

The driver's side worked fine until you turned on the passenger side on at the same time... Whala, now neither one works.. I've checked the fuse and it's fine. It's hard to believe the element went out on the driver's side at the same time the passenger side was turned on.

Kirk

JETaah

TDI
Mark of Diesel said:
Yeah, unfortunately life gets in the way of recreation sometimes. :( My Mother just passed thru the veil and I'm P.R. for the estate with all the responsibilities that come with that so my time has not been my own lately. Hopefully, things will be coming around to a more even keel soon and I'll be able to get the knots in my stomach untied.
I feel for you Mark. Very sorry to hear the sad news. I hope the estate business goes smoothly for you.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Mark:

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I had the same thing happen at the end of September last year. I'm still dealing with estate issues since I'm the successor in trust. All will work itself out eventually it's just alot of pain to wade through. Again, sorry!

Dan

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
Looks like I'll finally be able to make the this legendary GTG!
Its about time for a nozzle check/refresh and a tune, should I contact Jeff and Frank individually to be put on their respective lists?

JetWag03

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Baltic Green
tdi_allan said:
Looks like I'll finally be able to make the this legendary GTG!
Its about time for a nozzle check/refresh and a tune, should I contact Jeff and Frank individually to be put on their respective lists?
YES!

Those guys book up quickly, so to be sure you have a time slot, definitely contact them.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
JetWag03 said:
YES!

Those guys book up quickly, so to be sure you have a time slot, definitely contact them.
Won't work - it's first come, first served at the GTG itself going down the sign up sheet in order. So when you arrive, get your name on the sign up sheet and be available when your name is called! That is how Rocketchip handles customers at a GTG. Not sure how Frank does it though.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
TheRedMagi said:
Anyone up for some troubleshooting on a vibe issue over 65mph?
Take it to a tire shop and have them re-balance your wheels/tires.

Unfortunately about the GTG, I just moved to California! I'll miss this classic gtg. Have fun my Mid-West friends.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Matt, Santa Maria is beautiful (although I've not been there in years). Enjoy.

buildingup

TDI
None
Recently picked up a 02 jetta and hope to come over to check out the shop and some new people. Maybe talk to Martin about a catch system for my EGR delete that the owner ran into a gatorade bottle. works perfectly fine but can see a little smoke or w/e you call it rising about the hood when standing

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
buildingup,

I had a similiar setup for a while.. get used to it, or reroute it back into the intake tube like factory.

buildingup

TDI
None
Growler said:
buildingup,

I had a similiar setup for a while.. get used to it, or reroute it back into the intake tube like factory.
Got you, didn't know if there was a better way of doing this. Think I'm going to just grab a longer hose and reroute then to the underside somewhere.

Hopefully be at the GTG.