Mid Michigan GTG -- Saturday, July 10th

chippy

TDI
2002 Jetta
Marty,
I'd love to come again this year. As long as the hard-core dieselgeeks don't mind me lurking in the background as a spectator again ;)

Chet

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
Mark, I just read about your Mother - my sincerest condolences. I hope you can wade thru the estate without any complications.

Marty and the work gang, how bad is it to change a RF wheel bearing? I think I may have one that's starting to go. Is this something that would be doable at this late date (i.e. fit in the work schedule)? It's going on 68K on that particular set of bearings (168K on the car). Marty, it's on the Wagon that we swapped all the front end stuff on to fit the bigger brakes.

I have to drive to Manassas, VA in August and want to get it taken care of before then.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Hey Flyguy38, this'll be a great place to ask all you want. Lots of Gurus and Gurus-in-training wandering around with great food and TDI fellowship thrown in to boot. See ya there.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
TDI_Convert said:
Marty and the work gang, how bad is it to change a RF wheel bearing? I think I may have one that's starting to go. Is this something that would be doable at this late date (i.e. fit in the work schedule)? It's going on 68K on that particular set of bearings (168K on the car). Marty, it's on the Wagon that we swapped all the front end stuff on to fit the bigger brakes.
Should be able to squeeze it in. Bring your bearing kit.

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
Rear bearings?

I've got my little list ready and was planning to replace my turn signal switch. But, after swapping out my winter tires, I discovered that my "snow tire hum" is still there and I'm thinking rear bearing time (approaching 300,000 miles).

I printed out the description of doing this R&R but, as usual, my confidence seems to require a lot of expert advice and a moderate amount of fermented barley beverage.

Can I verify a bad rear bearing by jacking up the car and rotating/pushing/pulling the wheel assembly or...?

Anyone familiar with this job? (I know you are, Marty, but you're usually pretty tied up with the bigger jobs ;-)

I figure to buy the hub-and-bearing assembly for both left and right rear.

Looking forward to another Marty-fest!

John

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Hey John, with a moderate amount of fermented barley adult beverage, (or even without actually :p ) I'll pitch in my limited expertice and muscles and give ya a hand. I imagine the ole' jack the car up and molest the rear wheels 'till ya hear noises method of diagnosis will work fine. AFAIK there shouldn't be any play if you wiggle the tire with hands at 12 & 6 or at 9 & 3 or at any other O'-clock ;) and noises should be discrete if all is well. Any requests from RBB or Shorts? Sounds dirty don't it! :p John knows what I'm talking about and I'm sure J.P. knows too.

Herb Score

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
"Intend" is a strong word with 4 young kids and a wife at home, but I did put this on my calendar in case things work out. I'm a noob around here, so nobody knows me. I live in Lake Orion, so only a little over an hour away. I've got a list of things to tackle on the car, so whatever isn't accomplished beforehand maybe I'll get some pointers at the GTG. Looks like fun.

Chris Baker

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
John,

I'm familiar with this R&R, but with almost 300k on the car, I'd advise being ready (as in parts onhand) and probably plan to replace the stub axle and the rear wheel speed sensor as well. Typically those get corroded and will start to throw a code, so as long as your doing the bearing hub with a nice shiny (as in no corrosion anymore) toothed ring on the backside you may as well mate up to it a nice new sensor. And my experience says you ruin an exist sensor trying to get it out of the flange of the stub axle.

Don't worry "old frugal guy", they are cheap. You can get a stub axle for $29.20, and the wheel speed sensor for $26.55

Your bearing assembly hub should'nt be more than $47-48.

With all new parts in hand, this should'nt take more than 45 minutes per side.

Kirk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've been debating this for some time but I'm going to do my best to come to this one. I had a great time two years ago and have been home too much this spring/summer.

If you want me to bring you parts, place an order on www.idparts.com and click on "GTG/Local Pickup" as a shipping method. Mention in the comments section that it's for Marty's GTG.

I'm looking forward to getting out there again. Parker's still thinking about that goose, too.

TDI
Hey Peter, glad to hear you can make it! I took advantage of your generous offer and you'll be bringing (I hope! :eek: ) my DSG 40K Mi. fluid and filter change kit. Looking forward to it. BTW, IDparts has the best price I could find on this kit. (shameless plug!:cool: )

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd be happy to bring it along. And thanks for the plug. We've been working on the DSG kit pricing, and it seems to be paying off.

BustedTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Ill put it on my calendar, but with family vacation starting the next monday,, might not be able to swing it unless its a money making opportunity for me...

anyone want a timing belt done at this GTG? :)
Growler,

I need a timing belt done, and I live in the area!

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Any requests from RBB or Shorts? Sounds dirty don't it! :p John knows what I'm talking about and I'm sure J.P. knows too.
Thanks for the offer, Mark. Short's has been in the supermarkets around here lately, so I don't need a fix. I will bring parts and common tools. Don't know if some sort of special puller is needed for the rear bearings. We'll either do it or we won't and I won't be any worse off. And if I can fix my turn signal clicking as well, I'll be a happy camper!
JohnD

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
John,

I'm familiar with this R&R, but with almost 300k on the car, I'd advise being ready (as in parts onhand) and probably plan to replace the stub axle and the rear wheel speed sensor as well.
Kirk
Thanks for the advice, Kirk. I will order up everythuing as soon as I get home. BTW: I had a rare opportunity for a work-related trip to Reno, so I skipped out early, rented a Road King and headed for Tahoe. Glad to leave Reno and all that fakery behind!

See ya on the 10th.

JohnD

TDI
Always a pleasure to see you all dirtied up Aaron. :eek: ;) Get those covvies washed.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
ya, whitbreads was a first for me.. I am usually elbow deep in someones car at these all day.

hoping to knock this TB out early and have the afternoon to relax.

TDI
Ya right Aaron, nice quick, clean TB swap. :p I'll make sure and stop by for some heckling or maybe real help too. ;) I find the dirtier the covvies the more people think you're really accomplishing great things. Fiendishly clever eh? :rolleyes:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
must be working, I am down to about 4 hours with no air tools. it goes pretty well,,

BUT he now is in need of an alternator pulley and perhaps serp tensioner replacement as well. might take a little more time than normal because of it.. (ya I know, here come the excuses)

Looking forward to the GTG.

Laters!~@

TDI
I'm correct in assuming you've got the bits right? If needed, I've got a set too.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
I have the old style, I need to get the short ones before the GTG. unless you have them.

TDI
Lemme check to make sure once I get home. I'll let you know prolly by tonite.