LowPro CNC ALH Coolant Flange

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Ive been talking with Gruven Parts about doing a billet aluminum block to bolt to the side of the head that improves clearance issues with ALH swaps..
it would replace the plastic (AT) or aluminum (MT) flange with a block for coolant nipples or AN fittings that mounts directly to the head and keeps clearance over the transmission to a minimum..

If possible it would retain the temp sensor and outputs for Rad/EGR and Oil Cooler so nothing would be lost, but you could plug those threaded outputs if you don't need em.. but if this adds too much bulk it may be best to make it a simple 90 degree redirect to the front of the motor, delete EGR, and then put the temp sensor and a wye some place for oil cooler with out clearance problems.. if you wanted coolant to exit the rear of the motor it could be flippable.

I was inspired by this piece they already make: https://www.gruvenparts.com/billet-vw-audi-1-8t-1-9tdi-2-0-upper-radiator-hose-4y/

They said they could do this for about $160 a pop, which seems reasonable for a piece like this.. but to justify the first batch we'd need 20+ people willing to pre-purchase.

Is there anywhere near that much demand or interest in a low profile billet coolant flange for ALH (and perhaps other engines)? I search through conversions of various types and see this flange presents problems for many moving it to an inline config.

I've got backup plans, probably will cost me more money for less.. but if we could get a part on the shelves that would avoid a bunch of us creating one offs it may get more swaps going with less obstacles in the way.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is a flange for longitudinal mounted cars that is like the ALH manual version except it drops straight down, the part number is 038-121-145. However, it still goes on top of the flange that is already there so it may not offer much extra room.

There is also an aluminum replacement available for the AWM engine (B5.5 Passat 1.8t) that does not go straight back, but may not work for every application, and like the above mentioned flange, it requires the use of a quick coupling for the heater pipe (which is easy, plenty of those to choose from, but may add in even more clearance issues on its own).

So yeah, I think a super simple low profile option may be useful, but exactly how you would orient the radiator and heater hose outlets AND the CTS bung could be up to debate, as it may not work the same for everyone.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
on my swap i used the stock ALH alloy flange, made a block off to replace the glow flange. For the heater hose I bored a hole in the upper rad nipple and tig welded in an aluminum outlet from an old heater core.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Ive got the Auto Plastic one that dumps front and back but even that one hangs out too far out off the block for my Westfalia, my options are either cut a notch out of fuel tank and weld it back up, obtain a super duper rare mexican wc bell housing and input shaft that move the engine further back, or fabricate a flange thats a simple 90 degree redirect.

if this goes absolutely nowhere I intend to just cut the mounting plate off the aluminum OE flange and weld a pipe to it, but I cant weld aluminum and I doubt I'm the only one here.. I asked Gruven if the'd modify the aluminum one in such a way that others could reach out to em and have it replicated as needed, but they didnt think a hacked up and welded flange would provide the integrity and bullet proof reputation they have been cultivating, so they are more interested in a CNC billet one than my cheap idea heh.. but I kinda agree, I'd love a billet piece with AN fittings, I'm just not that rich to do a one off.. If I had that kinda money I'd just import a water cooled bay window and swap my ALH in a weekend w/out fabricating squat.

I stole this photo from someone elses bay window conversion who hadda custom fabricate a coolant flange for clearance.. I can find quite a few examples of home made coolant flanges on this forum.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
nayr, so this an ALH swap into a vanagon @ 15 degrees? what adapter plate are you using? Didn't realize there was a clearance issue at the front bulkhead with vac pump clearance. EDIT; I see now this is a bay window so never mind

Last edited:

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf Sportwagen, BHW Jeep XJ
I modified 038 121 145 that I picked up off eBay. It's been dramaless.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
nayr, so this an ALH swap into a vanagon @ 15 degrees? what adapter plate are you using? Didn't realize there was a clearance issue at the front bulkhead with vac pump clearance.
no, its a Bay window.. would be mounted normally w/kennedy adapter plate unless I score a mexican/brazilian/south african bell housing for an 091 gearbox.. and in that case I could probably make an OEM flange work if I removed the firewall, but if I got all that I'd wanna keep the firewall so I think I'd still fabricate a flange.

I might just need to drive to Mexico and pickup a parts bus at this point, I'm thinking it may be cheaper in the long run.

Last edited: