Jetta MkV "Easter Eggs"....hidden tricks!

ohiodon

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG package 1
Hidden Easter Egg

WillR said:
If you have dual zone climate control, you have to set the temp adj knobs all the way up to High (which turns off automatic) and the electric cabin heater will work. It don't seem to ever come on if you leave it set to auto with any temps except high.
In continuation of WillR Easter egg ….With the Climatic heating system, that’s the one with one dial for the temperature setting. Set the temperature control to the 80 degree mark (you will feel a click). This should turn on your auxiliary cabin heater.

robrichtx

Veteran Member
TDI
TVguy said:

These gems and other potential "Easter Eggs" can be found here:
http://www.vw.com/vwcom/content/objects/pdf/service_maint/jetta_pocketguide.pdf
It's a big PDF file (8,326k), so be patient.
Enjoy...

[/left]
Man, now that PDF is damned funny... Now I understand why people are knocking VW's service. I could just imagine if my customers said "This isn't cearly labeled" and I blankly stared at them and said "The labels are in black and white!"

Personally, I think this PDF would be much better if acted out with Dietre from the SNL skit "Sprockets"

Stil love my Jetta though. Just hope I never need to take her in to the service dept.

Rob

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
LOL! Users complaining about the cupholders in German cars. Will some things never change! :D

EDIT: I just read that document... and all I can say is WOW. That truely does sum up a lot of the the problems with VW...

The euro parking lights being listed as a problem is kinda interesting! I whish my car had that feature... It will soon when I install the MFA...

-J

Last edited:

WillR

Veteran Member
Just what some of us have been saying all along. "VW screws up, but they will spend more time telling us why they did it instead of trying to fix it"

Like opening the trunk with the key and alarm goes off. "just press unlock on the key fob" they say.

The cup holder one is a classic! "large cups do fit, but jumbo ones do not!"

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
WillR said:
Just what some of us have been saying all along. "VW screws up, but they will spend more time telling us why they did it instead of trying to fix it"

Like opening the trunk with the key and alarm goes off. "just press unlock on the key fob" they say.

The cup holder one is a classic! "large cups do fit, but jumbo ones do not!"
"Oh, you're right! I just misclassified my cup size! My large fits just fine after all!"

Stupid. However, it's pretty typical of a corporate response with poor QC.

warrenite

TDI
2000 Jetta, TDI
Phoenix42 said:
I added this feature to my 00 Golf, not that I use it much, living & working in the 'burbs doesn't give many opertunities for on street parking.
How do you add this feature to a 00 car? --> Thanks John

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Probably a 'true' Easter Egg.
My 05.5 turned out to be wired for EURO Parking Lights, but this was unknown until I installed a EURO Switch.
So I got quite a nice surprise.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
Headlights default to low beam

If we turn the engine off while the high beams are in use, the headlights will default to low beams when the engine is restarted - even though the switch is still set to high beam usage (the turn signal stalk pushed toward the dashboard). This is when the headlight knob is in the "automatic" position; I have not verified if it happens in the other cases as I just discovered this today the hard way by trying to get the high beams to turn on. I couldn't get the turn signal stalk to push toward the dashboard because it was already there! So I had to "reset" it by moving the turn signal stalk away from the dashboard as if I were turning off the high beams and then moving the turn signal stalk toward the dashboard again. Luckiky I remembered and didn't try forcing the turn signal stalk toward the dashboard any further (when it was alread there) which probably could have broken it!

By the way the headlight projectors on this car are amazing. The beam pattern for low beams is very well defined. For high beams things get illuminated really well and it is hard to believe the high beam bulb wattage is the same as the low beam bulb wattage. (Both are H7 bulbs.)

Last edited:

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Summary of tricks

So here's a summary of the tricks we've found so far:

1. It has an auxillary electric cabin heater. If you turn the temp knob all the way to 80, it clicks and hot air starts coming out, even when the engine is cold. Instant heat!

2. To get the wipers in a position where you can clan the window or change the blads, turn the key on, turn it off and then within 10 seconds push the washer control down. Wipers will come to the "service position" where they can then be folded out of the way.

3. Key hole for the trunk is by the license plate light under the rear lip.

4. Radio settings can be changed by holding down the SCAN button for a few seconds to get into the menu.

5. "Euro parking markers" can be activated when parking on a busy street to make your car stand out. If you leave the turn signal on while turning the car off, it will beep at you like your headlights are on. In fact, just the parking lights are on, but only on the side the turn signal was turned to. So if you have the left turn signal on, turn off the car, the left parking lights outside the car will remain on, but the right will be off.

6. If you press and release the turn signal one direction quickly, it will blink 3 times and then stop. unverified - supposedly the turn signal clicking volume decreases in volume as the vehicle slows down...need to have the radio off to hear the difference

7. If you have the wipers on high at high speed and then slow down, the wiper speed will drop to low speed. If you stop, they switch temporarily to intermittant.

8. Only with Climatronic - if you hold the auto button for 3 seconds, the passenger temp will be the same as the driver temp until the passenger changes it.

9. When washing the windows, it delays starting the wiper until there's some fluid already sprayed on the window to minimize smearing. Then it does 4 swipes, waits a few seconds, and does one more to get the drips.

10. If you turn the engine off while the high beams are in use, the headlights will default to low beams when the engine is restarted - even though the switch is still set to high beam usage (the turn signal stalk pushed toward the dashboard). This is when the headlight knob is in the "automatic" position. To reset, bring stalk back to normal position.

Keep 'em coming!

WillR

Veteran Member
Still can't get our 05 Sirius radio to scroll the artist/song across the screen. There is basic and advanced settings, but nothing I can find to make it scroll. That is about the only thing I have heard the wife and Daughter miss from the last car.

As far as turning the heat up to 80, the jury is still out on that one. I discovered (through another post) I really needed to turn the heater on in the module long coding before it will work at all! I did it a couple hours ago, if the ice melts we will get to test it tomorrow.

Tim Birney said:
#4 is in the Owner's Manual, so it should not be considered an "Easter Egg"

(should it?)

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
WillR said:
Still can't get our 05 Sirius radio to scroll the artist/song across the screen. There is basic and advanced settings, but nothing I can find to make it scroll. That is about the only thing I have heard the wife and Daughter miss from the last car.

As far as turning the heat up to 80, the jury is still out on that one. I discovered (through another post) I really needed to turn the heater on in the module long coding before it will work at all! I did it a couple hours ago, if the ice melts we will get to test it tomorrow.
The sirius radio will not scroll. The only time scrolling will work is with MP3's. Don't ask me why VW did it this way as I am completely clueless. Every car lately that has a premium sound system seems to have RTD or is it RDS, something like that, and if the station broadcasts that certain type signal, the info will show up and scroll. Not so with the VW.

TVguy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG, package 1, CWP
I found a new one tonight (new to me anyway): If you stop for a train when your lights are on and turn off the engine without shutting off the lights, the headlights dim and the parking lights stay on! Thus saving the battery from drain, but not allowing you to sit in the dark. (Now if I just get it to do that with the engine running...)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Do the headlights dim or go out totally? On the previous cars, the headlights turn off with the ignition, only the parking lights can be tured on with the car off.

-J

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
TVguy said:
I found a new one tonight (new to me anyway): If you stop for a train when your lights are on and turn off the engine without shutting off the lights, the headlights dim and the parking lights stay on! Thus saving the battery from drain, but not allowing you to sit in the dark. (Now if I just get it to do that with the engine running...)
They go into "city light mode" i.e. parking lights. The small lights in the high-beams spot stay lighted and the marker lights stay on.

mrutter1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG...sold 2013 Golf 4dr 6M w/ Tech Pkg
Last night I noticed this that after briefly going into to a store (took keys out but didn't lock car). I came back to the car about 3 minutes later, sat inside and shut the door to wait for my friend. For kicks, I pushed the radio power button and it turned on. Key was not in ingnition...still in my pocket.

WillR

Veteran Member
mrutter1 said:
Last night I noticed this that after briefly going into to a store (took keys out but didn't lock car). I came back to the car about 3 minutes later, sat inside and shut the door to wait for my friend. For kicks, I pushed the radio power button and it turned on. Key was not in ingnition...still in my pocket.
this is also in the owners manual. It will work for 1/2 hour I think. Once it goes out hit the power again and it will keep working.

tekdummie

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you actually use the door key slot and not the remote, you turn the key all the way to the unlock position and hold, the window rolls down...
New to me anyway, having manual windows in my toyota truck.

Gr8danz

TDI
'10 Blue Graphite/Cornsilk, Pano, Protect, IPOD, 6M
My salesman actually showed me everything mentioned within this thread, amazing<G>. Oh wait, one exception, the keyhole for the trunk.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
In the trunk we have a flip-down grocery bag holder on the driver's side. There are holes in the trunk to easily mount a second flip-down grocery bag holder on the passenger's side.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
tekdummie said:
If you actually use the door key slot and not the remote, you turn the key all the way to the unlock position and hold, the window rolls down...
New to me anyway, having manual windows in my toyota truck.
With VAG-COM, you can also set this to work with your remote. Hold down unlock on your remote and your windows roll down.

saboteur

TDI
2009 Golf 2.0 TDI
On my Australian Golf it works with the remote without any modifications, pretty handy feature!

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
saboteur said:
On my Australian Golf it works with the remote without any modifications, pretty handy feature!
Yeah, I don't think they trust us Americans with cool stuff. I know with the alitentech module that I have on my '02, they have to ship it so it can't roll up your windows automatically, then they give instructions for cutting out one of the resistors from the circuit board. Reason is because if you have automatic roll up, I think it disables some safety features (pinch protection?)

Therefore, we have to go in and manually enable it. Stinks, because some Hondas come from the factory with it so I don't know why dubs can't. :confused:

redbarchetta

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, pkg 1, 5 speed
DieselDavid said:
In the trunk we have a flip-down grocery bag holder on the driver's side. There are holes in the trunk to easily mount a second flip-down grocery bag holder on the passenger's side.
I priced one at the dealer and they said it was $95.00 for this piece. I said no thanks.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Try another dealer....I just ordered one from my local dealer for $9.99!

HTH

Tony