Idle speed change how to Q?

jaed_43725

Veteran Member
TDI
04' Jetta wagon
I have read everything I can about changing my idle speed. I talked to my tuner about it and they are saying that the idle speed is controlled by the chip and changing it with VAG-COM is only good for when its hooked up. Is this so? From what I read I can just change it using VAG-COM. If this is so how do you go about making it permanent? Also I read that I need to change the timing. Is this a software change or actually rotating the timing on the IP? The more information the better. Thank you.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
II talked to my tuner about it and they are saying that the idle speed is controlled by the chip and changing it with VAG-COM is only good for when its hooked up. Is this so? From what I read I can just change it using VAG-COM. If this is so how do you go about making it permanent?
Why do you want to raise the idle speed?

I have read about some people changing the idle speed adaptation. But that's all I know about it. Try searching for, "idle speed adaptation", and narrow your search to ONLY the A3/B4 era.

Also I read that I need to change the timing. Is this a software change or actually rotating the timing on the IP?
Are you trying to address an issue? Smoking on startup? Hard starting?

The more information the better. Thank you.
To be perfectly direct, we need more information from you, in order to help you. ;)

Tony

jaed_43725

Veteran Member
TDI
04' Jetta wagon
I tried to reply to this before but my work computers network is so convoluted with garbage it wouldn't go through.

I do not want to raise the idle speed. I want to lower it.

I am not addressing any issue.

What channel or what not with VAG-COM do I need to change in order to make the change permanent.?

I read that you need to change the timing or else it runs kinda crappy, and that doing so will help pick up some MPG and HP. So I need to know what it all entails.

blownaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI (waiting for my 02M conversion) 99.5 TDI(totalled) 2002 gasser wagon, 2012 Golf
I raised mine via VAGCOM just to keep it from shuddering quite so much. It will retain the settings when unplugged.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
So how is this done in VAG-COM on an AHU/1Z?
Just for information sake. I'd imagine the 200+ views of this thread shows there is an interest

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have done this on two B4's, both with the BK ECU's since the idle speed on them is usually 860 rpm instead of 903 rpm. It's under Adaptations, Channel 2, and is adjusted just like everything else on the Vag-Com. On the BK ECU, just change it one number since each corresponds to a 20 rpm difference (the BK does not use the 5 digit series of numbers (32768 series) and has only 3 digits).

On both cars it smoothed out the idle significantly and was very noticeable. It will stay at that rate when you disconnect the Vag-Com.

While you're in there, turn down the EGR all the way since it's not needed with the ULSD.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Why would anyone want to do that? It get rougher at lower RPM's. I guess I skimmed over that part, thanks for the clarification.

The OP won't gain a thing by lowering it below 903 rpms and it will shake pretty bad below 860. It also doesn't idle a whole lot smoother above 903, so no need to go there either.

My advice it to leave it alone if you're at 903 already. Unless the OP is referring to advancing the timing and is confusing it with the lowering the idle?

Last edited:

vr6_idaho

TDI
98 TDI
On the 8bit ECU's the values are 0-255 instead as in the 16bit 0-65535 (32768 being half way). So yes he should see a value of 128 in the Adaptation block 2. Change it and try it out.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
jaed, do this while you have Vagcom hooked up (with a warm engine):

Check the reported fuel consumption (mine reads 0.78 liters per hour at idle, i think)
Then lower your RPM.
Check your new fuel consumption reading.
Compare the two values. Estimate how many hours you spend at idle during each full tank you burn, and multiply the Hours times LitersPerHour Difference.

I haven't played with the numbers myself, but suppose you can save 10% of your idle fuel usage, and you spend 1 full hour at stop lights, that's a savings of almost 12 ounces of fuel... maybe 40 cents? If your engine vibrates at the new lower RPM. or is harder to drive away from a dead stop, ask yourself whether that's worth it. I'm not poo-pooing your goal (i might do it myself someday), but there's a big picture to consider. I hope it works out for you.

jaed_43725

Veteran Member
TDI
04' Jetta wagon
It's not about the fuel savings. I just don't like it being so high. But from reading I found folks saying the timing needs adcancer. It's there an electronic timing or only mechanical?

TronDD

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
All manual transmission cars I have ever been in idle at ~900rpm. It's not about liking it, it's where it belongs.

Tim.

jaed_43725

Veteran Member
TDI
04' Jetta wagon
Found a new question. If I wanted to get my idle down to about 860 what would my Channel 2 new value be, being that it is a 5 digit number?

jaed_43725

Veteran Member
TDI
04' Jetta wagon
This will have to be continued. As I now have to replace my MAP sensor, and fix some fault with the GP's. As soon as I get that done then it will get off the default map and let me change the idle.