Horn Not Honking When Locked

ryansportwagen

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
I've seen this mentioned a lot, but I didn't happen to read about these circumstances so I'd appreciate any advice to fix this.
I got a new key programmed at the dealership when getting my DPF replaced a few weeks ago. I noticed the horn wasn't chirping when remotely locking the car, with either key. I did a little reading and then reset to factory defaults in the Convenience Menu on the MFI. It worked, both keys made it honk. However, the other day I was trying to locate my car in the airport parking lot and it wasn't honking again. So again I reset the defaults, and again it works. Any ideas as to why this feature keeps turning itself off? Thanks!

ryansportwagen

TDI
yeah, I probably made sure they were all up being that it was at a car wash and the airport for a few days. Would that matter, though? Pretty sure it used to honk with windows cracked.
I do not have a code reader, but may invest in something like that soon.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The most common reason is a bad door latch. If any one of the doors' latches' microswitch that tells the car the door is closed, then that door will not lock, and the horn will not beep.

And starting with the A5, there is no more lock knob.... so if your latch is bad, you cannot manually lock the door. It would seem nobody at Volkswagen was informed of this [already well known] issue with VAG door latches when these newer cars were designed.

ryansportwagen

TDI
Well damn, hope that's not it. But will check if the doors are locked next time I try and it doesn't honk. It was working today.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, a simple test: if you lock the car, and no horn report, just walk around the car and attempt to open the doors from the outside. If you get to one that opens (the alarm will go off, so be ready), that is your bad latch.

There are two kinds of Volkswagens with electric door locks: those with bad latches, and those that will have bad latches. It is really that simple, and that common.

Amongst my 20+ doors on all my VAG stuff, I almost always have a couple that are bad. But all mine are older, so they have the lock knobs, so I can manually lock the door at least.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
The most common reason is a bad door latch. If any one of the doors' latches' microswitch that tells the car the door is closed, then that door will not lock, and the horn will not beep.

And starting with the A5, there is no more lock knob.... so if your latch is bad, you cannot manually lock the door. It would seem nobody at Volkswagen was informed of this [already well known] issue with VAG door latches when these newer cars were designed.
The driver side there should still be the lock cylinder so you can still manually lock them. Just gotta remove that cap. Unless you were talking about the other doors, then ignore this post LOL.

joesaiditstrue

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L DSG
Mine also does this. No horn response when locking the car. Also, activating the alarm on the key fob only sets off the lights, zero honking noise. Haven't been able to figure it out. Also, my driver's side door lock/unlock button does not function. not does it illuminate like the passenger side

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006

Brian I can not believe you do not know how to lock manually A5 Jetta /Golf.
On side of the door there is a hole with rubber plug, remove that plug and you push plastic know in , and it will lock door manually .

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I actually have a similar problem to the OP. Car randomly switches from Auto Unlock of all doors to only drivers door. Been doing it for years, ever since I installed the FIS Polar and changed the default locking setting. I have always thought it to be a minor bug in the FIS. Sort of like the one in my RCD 330 that occasionally sets the volume to zero so I have to adjust the knob. Just glad to have a knob.