Help me get my Mk1 1.6 NA running again

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
This one may be kinda long... lol
Looking to revive my 1981 Rabbit 1.6L diesel, it has been sitting for probably two years.
Little back story, this was my first VW, the one that got me hooked on German Diesel’s, it cost me $500, was/is rustier than heck and I loved it. Coolant temp sensor quit working one day and it overheated, blew the head gasket. So, with my limited knowledge, I set out to replace it. Hopefully I can remember everything in order here. The head has small cracks between the intake and exhaust valve seats, may be important to mention, I don’t know. From my researching at the time that seemed to be fairly common so I wasn’t worried about it.
Anyway umm, I had put it all back together and it did run (somehow haha) but did not like starting.
Now, there are two, possibly three problems I am aware of now (several years later and after doing several TDI timing belts and just learning more about VW diesels in general).
Number one is; I’m pretty sure my cam timing is off slightly, somehow I think I missed the part where you loosen the cam sprocket? (what was I thinking, I know) anyway it’s not off much I’m sure, I know I rotated everything by hand before starting it back up.
Number two problem (and this is the main one I had trouble with); Compression leaking past #4 injector, I replaced the crush washers twice I think. If I remember right there seemed to be a crack or some sort of imperfection down where the washer seats in the head. This is what I would really like help with if possible.
Possible third problem is the injection timing might also be out somewhat, I’ve never checked it, and I know my old boss advanced it, and it was considerably peppier afterwards...
At any rate this, as well as the first problem, are not terribly difficult to fix, but I would be very interested in any and all opinions on Problem two, as well as the whole crazy story, and if you wish to criticize the old me that did these ghastly things well.. go ahead? I’m not sure what I was thinking either hahaha.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
That's Mechanic's 101 and how you learn. Nothing wrong with that.

You can't buy new muffler bearings, compression in a can or even diesel spark plugs anymore so you'll have to attack the obvious. A cracked head that's leaking several places sounds core to the issue. I'd start with a good head (VW) and a cam that's out of time

Best luck

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The trouble you are going to find is a lot of the parts for these old engines, especially the solid lifter ones, are NLA. 1981 is a split year for head bolt sizes, too, if I recall.... they changed them because they were prone to head gasket failure.

At any rate, you can start with having a machine shop that is familiar with those prechamber heads go through it. If it overheated, chances are it is warped. And you cannot just grind a head like that back true. It needs to be heated to the point that it is malleable, then pressed straight, and allowed to cool that way... then the cam bore needs to be checked for alignment.

Then you need to pull the pistons and rods out, and see how bad the pistons and rings and ring lands are. And again, you may struggle to find parts.

Lots of places used to rebuild those pumps and injectors, not as many now, but it is all pretty textbook Bosch stuff.

If I had known parts sourcing was going to be such an issue, I'd have hoarded more when I was younger. Even the later hydraulic prechamber diesel parts are not as plentiful as they once were.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Hmm yes, I don’t really want to put too much into this thing, as it is really rusty and may not live much longer, but I want to get it running and use it for getting to and from work. Mainly to keep the miles off my ALH, and it would be cheaper to run.
Alternatively, I have an ‘84 Jetta parts car with a 1.6L Turbocharged I could swap into the Rabbit, (originally I was hoping I could swap the head onto the Rabbit but the heads are different) that may or may not run.