GTG Chapin, SC January 25, 2014

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
Anyone have a clean alh (00 beetle) manifold that's already clean? Never done my manifold and at 155k I'm sure it needs it. I could do the R&R with some supervision and swap manifolds. We could work out compensation.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
Dan, how do you want to work it out? I can order the gasket and bolt kit. I've never done one so I might need someone to point me in the right direction to make sure u order the correct parts and bring the correct tools. Also any shop supplies, cleaners etc that I might need.
This will be my first GTG and I don't want to impose on anyone's goodwill.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
A roll of blue shop towels, and about 4 brake parts cleaner spray cans should be all you need. It is good to have new bolts, because many times the internal hex heads get stripped. I have the bolt-outs if that happens.

There will be no charge for the clean intake. The guys will have fun burning yours out after dark.

There will very likely be plenty of guidance for you - lots of good wrenches hanging around.

This is the type of job that will normally (dry weather) be done in the gravel areas near the shop.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I signed up at the link however it said it was for April in Atlanta. Let intention was for Chapin Jan2014

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
Sounds like fun, count me in, I'll see if any of those guys from the Maryland, DC, Virginia group are interested in coming to your GTG.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Anyone have a clean alh (00 beetle) manifold that's already clean? Never done my manifold and at 155k I'm sure it needs it. I could do the R&R with some supervision and swap manifolds. We could work out compensation.
I do, too if you exceed Dan's supply.

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I have two TDI's that I would like to get some work done on at the GTG. First is a 2000 Jetta TDI, would like to install a frost heater, also like to get the Malone 1.5 stage tune with the EGR delete, and intake manifold cleaning if a spare one is on hand or just clean the old one, and do the snap on mod for the top engine cover. The next is a 03 Jetta TDI, needs transmission fluid changed, snap on mod for top engine cover. Any recommendation as to what part and fluids I should order will be helpful. Thanks!

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Michelle, easy repair. I'll bring some wire loom/wire ties and show you how to do it.
Do you have a Boost gauge? Kinda mandatory to monitor the health of your turbo. (Hint). Look at new south performance for some nice kits. Again, supervision is available to help YOU install it......
No boost gauge. That's the plan eventually just haven't gotten there yet. I wouldn't even consider myself a wire/electronics novice. So I would glady love to know how to wire this bad boy in. Plus I'd also like to know how to check my turbo too. I'm always up to learn new things :D

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I also have a clean intake I can bring. It sounds like there are a couple of people, and maybe more. I can help with these change outs.

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
I am bringing some items that have been laying around in the garage that are for sale:

Intake manifold for 04 BEW....stock off the wagon

EGR cooler assy ,complete, no leaks

bd

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I have two TDI's that I would like to get some work done on at the GTG. First is a 2000 Jetta TDI, would like to install a frost heater, also like to get the Malone 1.5 stage tune with the EGR delete, and intake manifold cleaning if a spare one is on hand or just clean the old one, and do the snap on mod for the top engine cover. The next is a 03 Jetta TDI, needs transmission fluid changed, snap on mod for top engine cover. Any recommendation as to what part and fluids I should order will be helpful. Thanks!
You will need some EGR block off plates, if not already in place.
I would get 5 liters of transmission fluid, either the OEM or the lubromoly.
Right, DidJettarun?, the lubromoly was what helped your transmission so much?

I don't know much about FrostHeaters, but I think the kit is good, just bring some coolant.

Intake manifold bolts tend to strip, so I would bring new bolts, 6 of them.

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
I have a gasket and bolt kit to do a intake cleaning for an ALH, didn't need it.

Also have a serp belt tensioner used if anyone wants it for troubleshooting.

I NEED, someone to help me figure out the cooling fans on a 2001 ALH Beetle. Press the ac button, no fans in slow, and the ac compressor doesn't kick in. It's not low pressure, maybe the pressure switch? I'll bring my vac pump, gages and freon.

I also NEED someone to show me how to get the damn armrest cover off the beetle so I can install the new one I bought on eBay.

Sctdi123

TDI
Mk6 golf
Gtg

Hello all,

I'm going to stop in and say hi. I've got a 011 Golf tdi ... presently researching to lift my car 1". I've read where the Canadian cars are sent with slightly taller springs , if anybody has info on this would be greatly appreciated.

see you there, Bryan

ecudoc

TDI
MKVI
I hope to make it! I need a 1 or 1.5 malone tune(suggestions) on my 2012 GOLF.

Does anyone have any decent hotel recommendations nearby?

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Get the 1.5, I started with the 1 and upgraded with in 6 months, happy with both.

BuickGS/BuickTurboT

TDI
'01 TDI 5 Spd., Black w/Leather (sold), all options, '01 Red TDI Golf, Audi TT wheels, 1996 Passat TDI
Chapin, SC GTG

Hey Dan,

I hope to make it to the GTG. I live about 4 hours away in North Georgia and apparently there aren't any hotels in Chapin that I have been able to find. I'll check further when I have more time to look into it but this will be the deciding factor. I'm coming alone, if there is a local hotel and someone wants to split a room, I may be interested in that too. I have a great place to host a GTG in Dawsonville, Ga...and hope to in the future as I get caught up on a few things in my life. Thank you for hosting this one. I've never been to one before. I'm in my early 50's and my wife and I have 3 TDI's...a loaded 2001 Jetta black/black leather, Audi TT wheels, I installed Eibachs, Koni Reds, Audi TT bushings etc, a red 2001 Golf and recently a 1996 Passat TDI sedan (comfortable and 51.02 MPG). All great cars! Additional leg room for car poolers required buying the Passat.
I'll have to sell the Jetta when I have time to put on another timing belt as it is due soon. Sorry to ramble...I'm looking for some input on some things:

-both my Jetta and Golf had a Upsolute tune done on them years ago. I've had them about 8 years. Afterwards the Jetta always had more low end torque than the Golf. The Golf has to be wound out for power, almost feels like a gas engine whereas the Jetta has tons of low end torque.
Bottom line is...
-I'd like a recommendation on a tune for the Golf...my objective is "as much power as possible without
sacrificing any" or "much" mpg.
-at the GTG, will there be anyone there that has done the repair on the door to fix the switch in the latch? I've been meaning to do mine but haven't.
-Does anyone have a good used turbo they would like to sell? Just a stock, known, good, VNT-15?
-Does anyone coming to the GTG have a 17/22 hybrid on their car?
-Does anyone coming to the GTG have a VNT-17 on their car.
I'm considering upgrading the turbo on my Golf (my Jetta is nicer but I'll keep the Golf due to hatchback)...after upgrade, putting the Golf turbo on the Jetta since it has more miles on it. I don't want anyone to have any trouble with the Jetta when I sell it. I'm curious as to what kind of real world mileage people are getting out of a VNT-17/injectors and a 17/22 and injectors. I'd like to stay around 47/48 mpg where I am now. Is this possible with a 17 or 17/22 and conservative driving?

Thanks for any input,

G

PM for my email address if you don't want to reply here. I don't come on here often nor post often.

Last edited:

BuickGS/BuickTurboT

TDI
'01 TDI 5 Spd., Black w/Leather (sold), all options, '01 Red TDI Golf, Audi TT wheels, 1996 Passat TDI
Chapin GTG...intake cleaning

I'd like to get in line on the intake cleaning if possible. I can bring whatever is necessary, 4 cans Brake Kleen, intake bolts, Map gas torch and do the work. If someone that has done it before would like to supervise, that would be great.

Please let me know if there is another clean intake to swap out with and if there would be any charge to swap...if I clean and leave my intake.

Thanks, G

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I have one intake clean, and TerryTDI has another, but they are spoken for. It really does not take too long to clean yours. That should not be a problem.

We should take some logs on the Golf, it should run just as strong as the Jetta. (Though {for admittedly vague reasons} I have never been a fan of upsolute tunes.)

apple4ever

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 5sp manual, 310K miles
Ooooo I've never been to a GTG and I've always wanted to go. Last intake cleaning was done by my shop after an EGR valve replacement- and that was about 100K miles ago. I'm also looking at a boost gauge and possibly upgraded injectors. I have friends in Charlotte which I could stay with easily.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I doubt if your intake needs cleaning again. But it is easy to remove the EGR valve to peer down the intake and find out.
So come on down.

Last edited:

apple4ever

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 5sp manual, 310K miles
I doubt if your intake needs cleaning again. But it is easy to remove the EGR valve to peer down the intake and find out.
Cool- I might have a bad radiator fan (which is how I found this post). I'm assuming that would be easy to help with- I just don't have anything to raise my Jetta up.