GTG Chapin, SC January 25, 2014

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Stealth Race Pipe

I am trying to remember who wanted my stealth race pipe at BioJoes GTG.

I'm going to modify another EGR valve if somebody is interested.

dislexicmofo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI GLS
(edit: This got really long really quick lol. Sorry for the book!)

I have been meaning to make it to a GTG! This one is in my back yard (I'm in Atlanta) and my little sister lives in Colombia while she's finishing up Grad School. I think I will have to mark it down on the calendar.

If I come I could bring some used parts with me that I have been trying to get rid of, EGR cooler, a set of Jarama Wheels (the stock 16 inch TDI GLS wheels from 2003 http://4130-products.com/wheels/), and maybe a set of stock seats if anybody want's them (grey cloth). I'm not trying to turn this into a FS (or swap!) thread, but some of these are big things that would be a PITA to move unless there was interest!

I have a few knick knacks on a to do list as well. I put a VNT17 in and have a few oil leaks I would like to seal up and track down an exhaust leak. I used all new gaskets and replaced the feed and return line but there's still a *)(*(& leak somewhere! General easy stuff that someone that does this more regularly can probably button down super quick with a lift.

At the top of the list though, does anyone going have a Sachs VR6 or other SMF clutch kit on their car? I REALLY want to see what they drive like with a SMF setup. I ordered one from Aaron at Boraparts but am on the fence about using it versus a beefed up DMF setup which I think a few people sell now. I've got 520 injectors, a vnt17, 3 BAR MAP, 3" SMIC and piping kit, and an EGR delete. My (Malone!) tune is severely limited at the moment in the low end to preserve the stock clutch but after the upgrade should be pretty seriously torqued.

Does the Malone tuner that will be there do work with Aaron? I have purchased a second tune already to use when I get a clutch in.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I will bet that Andrew and Aaron can work something out, if it is possible. They are both good to deal with and 'salt of the earth' types.

There should be several vehicles there with SMF clutches on them.

No worries about the trading/selling. Bring what you want and set it out there. Someone may want it.

We should be able to help you track down the leaks. I don't have any metal fabrication tools to weld up or do any other metal fab for the exhaust leak.

The oil leaks are usually fixable.

dislexicmofo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI GLS
I will bet that Andrew and Aaron can work something out, if it is possible. They are both good to deal with and 'salt of the earth' types.

There should be several vehicles there with SMF clutches on them.

No worries about the trading/selling. Bring what you want and set it out there. Someone may want it.

We should be able to help you track down the leaks. I don't have any metal fabrication tools to weld up or do any other metal fab for the exhaust leak.

The oil leaks are usually fixable.
I really can't say enough good things about working with Aaron. Both he and Josh have always taken good care of me. It worked out well for them too, my car kept decided to shed parts there for a while roughly every 4 months.

I'll likely bring the wheels regardless, the seats would be a pain so I may post up in the FS forum and say they might be able to pick them up if they come to the GTG.

My guess is that the exhaust leak is a gasket somewhere... I may have even re-used the "old" manifold gasket. I had replaced the cylinder head about 30k miles before the turbo blew up and put a new one on then.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Man, I cannot wait! I made the August 2010 and have tried to make several of the others without success!

..... want you guys to all see my ALH TDI powered Vanagon!

99.5GOlf

TDI
1999.5 Golf
Reporting in from Ohio. Ill pencil this in. I soooo hope it's doable.
Hopefully I can make it. -J

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Justin and I both be there with bells on. I will bring a vag-com and a few special tools. It will be good to see you all soon.
The NB gonna be ready to rock-n-roll Richard?
Too bad I have to miss another great SE G2G

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
I'm tossing around the possibility of going... I've driven VW's for years, but am new to the TDI scene. This isn't terribly far from me, either, since I'm just up in Greenville.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'm tossing around the possibility of going... I've driven VW's for years, but am new to the TDI scene. This isn't terribly far from me, either, since I'm just up in Greenville.
You should go! Lots of friendly and interesting people and conversations. I used to attend lots of these in the mid-west and southeast, 6 or 8 per year or so.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I'm all signed up!

How long do you think till Terry has one of these in aluminum to polish?

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
Dan on post 21 of this thread you were telling me how the GTG kinda works. You made mention of the lift pump cleaning/mod. I've been doing some reading on the secret recall thread to understand this. So now I have a couple of follow up questions...
Is it realistic to expect the mod to be reliable on a 2000 Beetle? Or should the lift pump just be replaced? Can this be done at the GTG (remember I plan on hitting you up for the intake swap and don't want to bite off more than I can chew with two jobs I it's too much)? Finally, what lift pump do you recommend (if replacement is advised as opposed to modifying my existing one)?
Semper Fi
Philip

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The 2000 beetle has no fuel lift pump. It does have problems with its fuel pickup needing drilled out or replaced.

It would take about an hour to remove the sending unit, drill it out, and reinstall it. Maybe 30 minutes to simply remove and replace it with a new one. The new ones were available for very cheap just a while back. Check with IDParts.com and AARodrigues (newzboys on the site) for a new one.

Either one is very reasonable to do at the GTG (and highly recommended.)

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
The 2000 beetle has no fuel lift pump. It does have problems with its fuel pickup needing drilled out or replaced.
I really have to watch and make sure I use the proper nomenclature. Thanks for the guidance, and patience!

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
deese and i talked about heading down for this as well....let me know if you think about going...we can make it a mini-caravan! LOL:cool:

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
I am new to the TDI scene and have some issues that need to be addressed but would rather do it under supervision. My MK3 has 191k miles and I'm pretty sure the intake has never been cleaned. It has extremely low power when the MAF is plugged in but runs fine (to me) when unplugged. The previous owner ran it like this for years. I suspect it to be the intake being gummed up. I have no clue what other issues might be there since my CEL never turns on. I also need to replace the Crank Case Vent Tube and need to verify timing. Is it possible to tackle all this at the GTG? I'll bring whatever parts/tools that might be needed and some cash. I'm in the Coast Guard and need to get this thing tip top mechanically since I'll be traveling from Mississippi to Charleston Sc numerous times next year. I expect to put 60k miles at least this upcoming year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
deese and i talked about heading down for this as well....let me know if you think about going...we can make it a mini-caravan! LOL:cool:
Will do. I'm planning on it, but I'll know for sure if I am able to go closer to the actual date. :)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I am new to the TDI scene and have some issues that need to be addressed but would rather do it under supervision. My MK3 has 191k miles and I'm pretty sure the intake has never been cleaned. It has extremely low power when the MAF is plugged in but runs fine (to me) when unplugged. The previous owner ran it like this for years. I suspect it to be the intake being gummed up. I have no clue what other issues might be there since my CEL never turns on. I also need to replace the Crank Case Vent Tube and need to verify timing. Is it possible to tackle all this at the GTG? I'll bring whatever parts/tools that might be needed and some cash. I'm in the Coast Guard and need to get this thing tip top mechanically since I'll be traveling from Mississippi to Charleston Sc numerous times next year. I expect to put 60k miles at least this upcoming year.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think we should be able to help you address all of that. Come on up.