Geo Metro diesel...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Can you get a pic of a D1105-T-E? Especially the stock turbo plumbing.

I've found one pic, but I'm not convinced that that's stock plumbing.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
bhtooefr said:
Can you get a pic of a D1105-T-E? Especially the stock turbo plumbing.

I've found one pic, but I'm not convinced that that's stock plumbing.
Sorry, thought we might have had it but it was the D902. Are you referring to the pics I posted (regarding the stock plumbing) or the pic you found?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
A pic I had found.

Well, thanks for trying... I'm assuming the D902 is non-turbo?

I'm looking for pics and specs of any Kubota 0.9 to 1.1 L 3-cyl with a turbo, really...

poiuyt

TDI
none
Are you familiar with this report?

http://www.ewire.com/display.cfm/Wire_ID/1305

I don't recall seeing it metioned in this discussion. They emphasize the effects of so called advanced fuels and lubricants on the mileage rather than the fact that they are using a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel. I suspect that the engine is the biggest factor. In any case, I didn't see any details as to what size engine they used, whether it was turbo-charged,ect..

Does anyone know anything about it?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
From the article link they said they had planned to use a turbocharged, intercooled yanmar diesel engine but tranny problems with that car at the last minute forced them to use the IDI, non turbo Kubota powered Metro instead. They got 99mpg at 42 mph, but I'm pretty sure my Jetta could do 72-88 mpg on a test track at that constant speed, if not better; it's really not all that impressive to me. What do they get at a constant 60mph?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Yup, I've seen that.

I'll be running commercial B20 and Rotella T 5W40 synthetic.

Better than the rotgut offroad D2 and 10W30 CC-rated dino that the engine calls for. ;)

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I didn't read the entire thread but I have a suggestion ,

There are many good reefer Ds & TDs out there in junk yards . Look around and you might be able to find a complete diesel engine cheap .

MB has a good little diesel reefer engine that I've worked on . Runs well and has good power .

Isuzu also built a number of good little diesel reefer engines that were widely used in many brands of reefers . Plenty around for parts so they are cheap .

I have seen both installed in road applications or used for parts for an existing model .

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
For the record, I already have the engine that I'll be using.

I do not have the transmission, car, or any adaptors.

poiuyt

TDI
none
rotarykid said:
I didn't read the entire thread but I have a suggestion ,

There are many good reefer Ds & TDs out there in junk yards . Look around and you might be able to find a complete diesel engine cheap .

MB has a good little diesel reefer engine that I've worked on . Runs well and has good power .

Isuzu also built a number of good little diesel reefer engines that were widely used in many brands of reefers . Plenty around for parts so they are cheap .

I have seen both installed in road applications or used for parts for an existing model .

Please excuse my naivete' but what's a reefer?

This site could use a glossary for us newbies.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
poiuyt said:
Please excuse my naivete' but what's a reefer?

This site could use a glossary for us newbies.
Shorthand for refrigerator car (trains) or trailer. A small diesel motor drives the refrigeration compressor.

speakerboy

Veteran Member
TDI
none right now :'(
A reefer trailer is one of the ones you see with the motor sticking out of the top front of the trailer, and they usually have a small trap door looking thing on the back in the middle of the regular door. Almost looks like a doggie door.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
But I'm looking for a 94 or older. ;) Less weight, and slightly better aero due to smaller frontal area. ;)

And preferably 93 or older, because I don't want to have to bother with deleting Nader belts.

As for them holding their value, it's weird. They're not doing nearly as well as VW diesels, of course, but there's two factors. One is that they're underpowered penalty boxes, so they go super cheap. The other is that they get 50 MPG, so some go high. But going in between usually doesn't happen.

MetroMPG

TDI
none
bhtooefr said:
But I'm looking for a 94 or older. ;) Less weight, and slightly better aero due to smaller frontal area. ;)
bhtooefr - do you have any details about Cd or A for these cars? I've never been able to find a reliable source of aero specs.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Numbers that I've found are Cd of .32, frontal area of 19 sq ft on the Mk2/3 (89-94),

Cd of .30, frontal area of ~20 sq ft on the Mk4/5 (95-02).

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Googling... unfortunately, that's not too reliable of a source. :(

If nothing else, there are ways to calculate it, but you need to know the rolling resistance of your tires, and have blueprints of the front of the car to do it accurately.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
If the numbers are correct, then you want a Mark IV/V because it has the lower Cd*A product of 6.0 versus 6.08 for the earlier. I'm pretty sure that most of that extra square foot was in a passenger side mirror too (which my 1990 2-door didn't have), so you could delete that.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Before vw changed their site, the .pdf documents on the vehicles had this information in them. Why would one need to know the rolling resistance of your tires to calculate the coefficient of aerodynamic drag of the body?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
nicklockard: I say ~20, because I've seen a few sites saying 21.

greengeeker: You need to know rolling resistance, because how you calculate it is a coastdown test, and then use the results of that combined with the frontal area (which can be calculated from the blueprints) to obtain Cd.

hamradio

Veteran Member
TDI
IDI.
My grandpa has a '92 Metro. He traded my cousin and old corsica for it. My cousin got the metro free. It is a 2 dr. He loves the milage he gets with that little thing. One time we raced him, him in his metro, and my mom and I in an Infiniti I30. :D He always talks about what kind of milage it gets, but I'll have to see if my Rabbit can do better. Plus, my rabbit looks a lot cooler. I wonder, in 0-60, which would win? 3 cyl gas metro, or 4 cyl 1.6 diesel rabbit? :D

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Probably the Metro, it's got more HP and less weight.

But, the Rabbit would win in passing acceleration. ;)