Gas to TDI conversion

RockinRam96

TDI
09 VW Jetta
As the title says, has anyone ever done a gas to TDI conversion?

I just recently bought an 03 Jetta with a 2.0l gas motor and a 5 speed trans. Just curious to know if anyone has ever done the conversion and what is involved? The car is spot less, in great shape for an 03, motor does run pretty good but it's just not a TDI!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Lots of people have done it, search the TDI conversions forum and read all about it. It is not overly hard to do but you do not want to use the gasser transmission with he diesel engine as the gearing will be a mismatch. ECU and wiring can be fun too depending on which engine you choose.
The 2.0 gasser is a pretty good engine, not much goes wrong with those. Best advice is to keep it as is and enjoy, or trade it for a TDI car.

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
If you have a donor tdi to grab the parts from it will be considerably easier since it will be "bolt on". It also depends how much you want transfer from one to the other ie: electrical harnesses etc.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I'd like to do a TDI swap into a later model City Golf...if I ever come across one with a blown engine I'd consider grabbing it for that. Everything would bolt right in, and then you'd have a 2010 ALH TDI car.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...it/1213360983?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

There is a local guy that swapped a 1.8t into one, which was a bit easier since it was gas to gas, but still...it allows one to get a "favorite" engine into a little newer model car;).

Having said all that, It would be a lot of work, and I certainly wouldn't disassemble a perfectly good car to do it...I'd have to have a good TDI in a bad body/chassis, and a good (presumably gasser) body/chassis with a blown engine to work with. I like the TDI...alot...but not enough to disassemble a good working gasser for it.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
It's been asked and done lots of times. Since it was fairly well documented it wasn't too hard to find the build threads.
I've done it with my wrecked 2003 TDI into a nice 2003 1.8 Jetta chassis. Mostly just an engine swap other than some A/C and power steering lines. ECU and cluster swap and the two engine bay harnesses and fabricate a panel for powering the GP/109 relay. Exhaust and fuel pickup. I have yet to remove the gasser fuel filter under the tank. Immobilizer delete, too.
If you can stay within the same year family I think there are less chance of having issues with one car having the CanBus line and different immobilizer system. Not sure. Easier if going from manual to manual or auto to auto, obviously.
Wouldn't do it without an entire donor car to use myself.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Wouldn't do it without an entire donor car to use myself.
This 100%, so many little things are needed that you find you'll need at the last minute. :(

Find a TDI write off hit in the rear, Golf or Jetta.

RockinRam96

TDI
09 VW Jetta
I am sure I'd be much easier with a complete donor. I'm guessing the whole engine bay wiring harness needs swapped, gauges, ECM, fuel system needs to be swapped. Are engine mounts the same or would they have to be cut from a TDI and fabbed onto the new chassis?

Coming from an 09 CR TDI involved in the emissions scandal, I'd love to swap that motor into an MK4. But I know that'd be an extensive job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You'd pretty much need the whole (diesel) donor car to get everything. If the 2.0L gas engine is in good order, I'd leave it alone. They are a GREAT engine. Same family as the ALH, just as tough and bulletproof, they just use more fuel. But it is a good, simple, sturdy, reliable engine.

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
You'd pretty much need the whole (diesel) donor car to get everything. If the 2.0L gas engine is in good order, I'd leave it alone. They are a GREAT engine. Same family as the ALH, just as tough and bulletproof, they just use more fuel. But it is a good, simple, sturdy, reliable engine.
This is my opinion also, drive the 2.0 until you find a good deal on a replacement TDI then sell the 2.0. A decent, low mileage one will bring almost as a TDI. A lot less work and time saved this way.

My $0.02

RockinRam96

TDI
09 VW Jetta
Thanks for the insight guys. I don't intend on doing any of this right away, if at all. I do love the diesel engines, they are just over all superior to a gas engine, IMHO. But I'm not going through the effort and spending the money to swap to a TDI.

I'd love the mileage of a TDI as I drive almost 70 miles a day. I did buy this car pretty cheap ($2,500, no rust, 1 owner, 159k, 5 speed, spotless) so I'll run it until it dies. Not having a payment book is so nice! I was just curious to know what was all involved in the swap. Now I need to find a forum on the 2.0L engines. It needs a little more pep.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There really is not any "pep" left in that engine, unfortunately. With no turbo to tweak, it is basically only going to benefit from a "tune" to the timing curve, which is worthless since all that does it force the full advance which you can do yourself by putting premium fuel in. That'll crank it as far as it can go before the knock sensor signals the ECU to cut back. And even then, you are talking a very small amount of difference. That engine does not specifically require premium gas.

There is a reason those engines have been given the moniker "two-point-slow". But, they still are a very good engine, and sometimes finishing the race is more important than winning it. ;)

Here are some tips, though:

in 2003, there were two different 2.0L engines, the AVH and the AZG. They are mostly the same, but there are a few things sometimes different so you should be aware of which engine you have before ordering any parts. There are other SOHC non-turbo 2.0L engines, too. AEG (older) and BEV (newer) for example. So again, important to know which engine. Dealer can tell you by VIN if you cannot read the white tag on the upper timing cover or the white tag in the wheel well in the trunk.

These engines *can* use some oil. Until you know for sure what type of appetite your car has, check it frequently. It requires a 502.00 spec 5w40 oil (most any 505.00 or 505.01 spec 5w40 diesel oil will also meet this spec). 10k mile intervals, same as the TDI. I would use a Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filter.

They are geared much lower than the TDIs, so you will find a bit different shift pattern. However, for a gasser it is still a reasonably torquey engine with a pretty flat power delivery. Not an angry chainsaw engine like in a Corolla or Civic or Cruise.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
There are camshafts available, they do work, I did one on a 96 2.0L, woke it up but it used more gas. Best to leave it alone, barring a turbo kit and just save up for a donor TDI car.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Thanks for the insight guys. I don't intend on doing any of this right away, if at all. I do love the diesel engines, they are just over all superior to a gas engine, IMHO. But I'm not going through the effort and spending the money to swap to a TDI.

I'd love the mileage of a TDI as I drive almost 70 miles a day. I did buy this car pretty cheap ($2,500, no rust, 1 owner, 159k, 5 speed, spotless) so I'll run it until it dies. Not having a payment book is so nice! I was just curious to know what was all involved in the swap. Now I need to find a forum on the 2.0L engines. It needs a little more pep.
Just keep the 09 and keep the mk4 gas. Simple solution really.

olivier.crete

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI GLS
I swap 2003 golf 2,0L last year. I had an Golf TDI alh as donor car. I drive it now. You need a donor car if you want to do it right.

RRRon

TDI
99 New Beetle 02 Golf and putting a ALH in a 03 Gasser Jetta Wagon
I swap 2003 golf 2,0L last year. I had an Golf TDI alh as donor car. I drive it now. You need a donor car if you want to do it right.

I'm working on it now. What did you do with the wiring?

Mine worked for 15 min then stalled. Never got it to ran again.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Mine worked for 15 min then stalled. Never got it to ran again.
I would think if it ran for 15 minutes it should have kept running.

There should be an air bubble in the clear plastic fuel line running from the fuel filter to the injector pump.
Maybe an inch or so.
If not bleed the fuel lines with a vacuum pump.

Do you get power to the fuel shutoff valve on the pump?
It will only have power for a few seconds if you don't crank it.

Do all the dash lights come on, even the glow plug for a second.

Last if all the above is OK, crack the fuel lines at the injectors and crank it.
Does fuel spit out?
Have rags around the bottom of them to soak up the fuel.

Mk4_ Frankenstein

TDI
Mk4 Jetta, golf and another mk4 golf
Hello I’m knew here I was wondering if anyone could help me with my tdi swap (2.0 auto to tdi manual) I have no glow plug or check engine light on and car will not start but only cranks i hear flickering on the 109 glow plug relay

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
You'd have better luck in the conversions forum, but
i hear flickering on the 109 glow plug relay
Have you tried replacing it? They're pretty cheap.
Welcome to TDIClub and feel free to start your own thread!

Mk4_ Frankenstein

TDI
Mk4 Jetta, golf and another mk4 golf
@STDPUBT I swapped it with my other tdi that runs and I plugged it in and still no glow plug or check engine light on :(... I wired it up different with power to it and also still nothing :/

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
I will be doing this exact swap in my 99s. Tdi has a bent frame rail and the gasser is exactly what I want. Should be a direct bolt over for EVERYTHING and I literally have everything to swap. Now to find the time to do said swap.